WBBB 1.0DL (i)
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    20ºHGUQ & 20ºHGTQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

UQ only in the summer?

Hey guys. I've got a set of 3 season quilts from Hammock Gear and I expect that they will be a bit warm for the heat of summer. I can't afford to buy summer weight ones so I was wondering... Has anyone tried using only a 3 season underquilt (no TQ) in the summer?

I'll definitely be trying it out, but it can't hurt to get some input.

Zig
    2012 Resolution: 0/1 long distance thru-hikes, 20/30 nights out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZigOutdoors

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    In temperatures over 65 *F I've used only a TQ, or actually even a silk liner and been comfortable. I'm hot natured.
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB
    Depending where you are in the summer it can still get chilly at night. I live in GA and hike on the AT all of the time. I remember last July temps dropped in the low 50s, maybe lower and I wish I had an UQ.
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest places if you look at it right.

Images
    i always use a quilt in summer. ive seen 70 degree nites take a dive to 50 in 2 hours. ive used my 0 degree 3/4 quilt with a poncho liner on top with no problem. i have 40 degree ones, but my son and maple use them when we're camping.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Dutchware netless
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    I just did a four day trip on the Foothills Trail and a over nighter on the Chatooga. The temps dropped in the mid 50's each night. I had my 20* incubator and a summer weight sleeping bag. I'm a very hot sleeper and got hot each night. I tried letting some air through the UQ but then I would get cold spots. I guess it depends on the individual and how hot or cold you sleep. I will definitely need a summer weight quilt above 50* and I never use a quilt above 65*. I guess Adam and Jenny will be getting more of my money soon...

I sold my 20* incubator and burrow because they where too warm for me, even in winter. I now use a 40* phoenix UQ and a poncho liner as my top quilt. I could get by without any TQ in summer time but I like to have something on me when I sleep so the poncho liner is perfect.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Perfect timing! Even in FL it can get coolish in the wee summer hours. even when I hang on the rear deck.

I have JRB's Shenandoah down summer quilt, which works great for my FL 4th season at the January FL Hang (went down to 24 degs F). I wanted something else. I reckon that I can use it as a top cover (over the ridgeline; not a TQ) at the next FL Hang.

I was reading the MYGO Insultex UQ instructionss and, although I do sew basic stuff, all those darts were a bit off-putting.

I just ordered AHE's KAQ Jarbridge...Because I'm only 5'0 and I want it for Florida, I went with the 3/4 ONE SEASON (you have to specify...Paul says it's custom, so you need to email him.) Weight is ab 17 oz. For size he said, "Think canteloupe."

It's one layer of climashield and poly/nylon ? something outer cover. On sale for $100. I ordered coyote brown with black. Should be here within a few days.

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1902885

Jarbidge River Under Quilt

The Jarbidge River under quilt is designed to offer a more trim variation to our quilt designs. At 42" wide by 58" long it gives shoulder to shoulder and neck to ankle coverage for many folks. Weighing in at under 20oz's(3season) the Jarbidge is a great choice for those looking to save some weight over a full size quilt but still looking to make use of a small pad for their feet. 3 Season Rated to the 30's for most users, 1 season rated to 50's for most users.

Includes: Stuff sack, full suspension to hang the quilt with.

$100.00 only

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    Sewed a pad pocket on the outside of my ENO DN. In the summer I slide a military isopor sleeping mat in there and use a light Snugpak jungle bag opened out flat as a TQ.

But- I am a warm sleeper
    DKPerdue

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Another here who only uses a topquilt if the lows are expected to be above 65 F. I'll usually bring a torso-size piece of CCF that doubles as a sit pad/fire fan that I can slide underneath my torso if things drop five or ten degrees at those expected temps.

If they're above 70 F (normal from mid-May to mid-September for here), I don't even worry about bringing a sit pad "just in case". And if things stay above 80, I usually don't even pull the topquilt (poncho liner) over me during the night.

Note that this requires you to know how to angle your tarp to either catch or block the prevailing breeze in order to regulate perceived temperatures. It makes a big difference, having that breeze blow under the hammock (or not)...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I just put the warmer clothes i hike out in the morning back on at night. Two layers of clothes and a 50* sleeping bag has gotten me through 40* nights. saves weight and bulk in the pack
    The Urban Outdoorsman- inspiring people to get out and enjoy the great outdoors

View my blog here- http://cityoutdoorsman.wordpress.com

Instagram: Nature_Pro_Pics
    Twitter: @cityoutdoorsman

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast