Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Trimmed ENO Double
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or buckle

sagging ridgeline ?

ON my ENO I have a contunious loop run through my hammock ends with a ring on the end which is connected to my whoopies. also on that ring I have my adjustable RL . Ok here is where I run into my problem... When I set my suspension lines up on my trees to get the optimal 30 deg, my RL is just about snug maybe a pinch of slack. But as soon as I get it it droops into my face now if I lower the lines of my suspension and decrease the suspension angle the RL gets tighter and keeps my proper sag which I would not be able to achieve without it , but at the expense of putting more pressure on the tree and suspension. ( I stand dry at 275) I traded for this stuff to ease in my setup times but all I am doing is confusing myself. Is there a way to keep the RL taught when hanging conditions are still optimal , without adjusting the length of my RL every time?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Did you set the ridgeline length to be taut when the amount of sag was most comfortable? If so, your best comfort happens when the suspension angle is less than the suggested "optimum" 30* and that is the angle you should aim for. Just make sure your equipment and trees are strong enough for a bit of extra tension.

If your best comfort happens when the suspension angle is at 30*, then you need to shorten the RL to match that condition.

Hammock
    Trimmed ENO Double
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or buckle
    thats great ! so I should be worring less about suspension angle and just let the rl do the work ? Thats great news becuase it seems I can always find trees that are too far apart around here to get 30 deg. Well that was the case when I was running a cinch buckle setup anyway. So it's either 30 deg or RL , I have a tendency to overcomplicate things. Thanks for your help

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    30 degrees is good starting spot but not necessarily absolute. I agree with gmcttr that the RL may be a bit long. But yes, worry less about the angle and let the RL do the work once you find the RL length that works best for you.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Camobob View Post
    thats great ! so I should be worring less about suspension angle and just let the rl do the work ? Thats great news becuase it seems I can always find trees that are too far apart around here to get 30 deg. Well that was the case when I was running a cinch buckle setup anyway. So it's either 30 deg or RL , I have a tendency to overcomplicate things. Thanks for your help
    Just don't get carried away....with too flat of hang angles, the tension skyrockets...http://tagsafety.com/library6.asp

Hammock
    Trimmed ENO Double
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or buckle
    ok after looking at that link Im more confused. I have been judging my 30* from the tree to the underside of the suspension line l\ not from the suspension l\******* out. or is that the same thing? l = tree, \ = suspension

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Camobob View Post
    ...I have been judging my 30* from the tree to the underside of the suspension line l\...
    There's your problem right there.

It's 30* from an imaginary horizontal line between the trees, down to the suspension.

Review the pics in this link for a quick way to estimate the correct angle. Also notice the angle between the suspension and the handrail behind it in the photo.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I used to worry about the suspension angle. It just confused me and made the fiddle factor an ongoing challenge. Today, I just worry about getting the ridgeline tension correct. When I do that my suspension is automatically between 25 & 35deg close enough for government work.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    My ridgeline is set to where I want it, and everything else better just cooperate or get out of the way because I'm hanging

Hammock
    Trimmed ENO Double
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    My ridgeline is set to where I want it, and everything else better just cooperate or get out of the way because I'm hanging
    Thats what I was hoping to achieve when I got my rl. Thanks for the early morning chuckle.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast