Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    Use the whoopie loops with Harbor Freight 12' cinch straps. Cut off the cinch buckle and use elephant trunks to hook into the whoopie loop. I love it. So easy, and store my straps seperate from the hammock.
    Whoopie loops are a relatively new phenomenon, and not widely explored yet. I don't think they're made with straps (unless you've found hollow braid straps at Harbor Freight). I was going to refer you to the post that mentioned them, but I checked and discovered that what I understood from that post isn't exactly correct either, so we've got a couple of different pieces of gear that are being called "whoopie loops". Maybe we need a new thread to help reach a consensus. I'm starting with the assumption that a "whoopie loop" is not the same thing as a "whoopie sling" or even "the loop of a whoopie sling." Your post is pretty clear, if the third alternative is the one you meant.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    My .02 -

My view of the main limitation of whoopie slings (and the reason I switched back to webbing) are as others have mentioned - the distance between trees needs to be further apart than with webbing and buckles.

This can be overcome by attaching a continuous loop around the whipping of the hammmock and either using some type of hardware to attach the loop to the whoopie (Dutch biner or climbing-rated carabiner) or build the loop directly into the whoopie sling. If the distance is shorter than can be managed with the whoopie slings, one can use the continuous loop over the MSH and toggle.

The limitations of either of the two approaches above would be -
    - if you add hardware you are adding weight and bulk (the two main reasons to use whoopies anyways IMHO).
    - if you build the loops into the whoopie sling you now cannot remove the suspension if it gets wet.

A secondary limitation of whoopie slings is the somewhat complexity and multiple pieces to loose.

My view of the limitations of webbing and buckles are the bulk and weight addition over whoopie slings.

This is made up for IMHO by the fact that, as mentioned above, in order to get the same versatility as webbing and buckles you have to either add hardware to your whoopie slings (thereby nearly nullifying the weight differential) or loose the ability to remove your whoppie slings.

Others have cited getting sap on your webbing and that being a deterrent for using webbing and buckles. You can fully detach the webbing from your hammock and store separately if this happens.

In the end, HYOH.

My OH is with webbing and buckles

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    WV, I use continuous loops or as AHE calls them chain links. I have heard them called several different things. So confusing. LOL.... Let me go hang out in my hammock and ponder this. LOL... Darn, forgot, I have to work..
    "No whining in the woods"

I have used pretty much every suspension out there (aside from WV's new invention) and just recently I switched from a conventional whoopie sling suspension to Dutch's inverted whoopie with whoopie hook.
    I can say that I have yet to run into the problem of not enough space between tree's, if my tarp fit's, my hammock fit's!
    With the new Dutch suspension I find that I could hang between closer tree's than I could before. Also with the Dutch whoopie suspension it's all one piece, so nothing to lose. It's not permanently attached like a webbing/buckle suspension is, so if you were to lose the suspension it would mean the loss of whoopies and straps and since I hang from dynaglide, when I look back at my site I would see those bright neon green whoopies a hangin.
    Also I like being able to store my wet suspension separately from my dry clothing and dry insulation, which is easier to do with whoopie type suspensions than to undo the straps from the buckles. IMHO, YMMV
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    i am going to dump the carabiners and use toggles on my hh hammock with the whoopies to save a little more wieghtneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    The Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Buckle
    Images
    I am new to hammock camping have only done it for 3 nights. I am using Whoopie slings on my SBPro. The problem I am having is every night I have slept in it they seem to slip in the middle of the night. It isn't noticeable to me until I get up only to find my hammock barely hovering 2 inches above the ground. Is there something I might be doing wrong. I put the Whoopie slings on the the toggle knot of a marlin spike hitch then adjust the suspension until the hammock is a little more than waist high so when I sit in it I am about 18 inches off the ground. Only to wake up in the morning about 2 inches off the ground if that. Can someone help me sort this out?

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl1.7/Equip 1-Person
    Tarp
    GGear12x12',WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by cmplpwilt View Post
    I am new to hammock camping have only done it for 3 nights. I am using Whoopie slings on my SBPro. The problem I am having is every night I have slept in it they seem to slip in the middle of the night. It isn't noticeable to me until I get up only to find my hammock barely hovering 2 inches above the ground. Is there something I might be doing wrong. I put the Whoopie slings on the the toggle knot of a marlin spike hitch then adjust the suspension until the hammock is a little more than waist high so when I sit in it I am about 18 inches off the ground. Only to wake up in the morning about 2 inches off the ground if that. Can someone help me sort this out?
    Maybe try milking the constrictor (pinch the finger trap and slide my fingers down to pre-tighten it) after adjusting the sling. I'm a pretty big guy and have not had Whoopie Slings slip on me unless I forgot to milk the constrictor.

What material are your straps made out of? Another possibility is that the straps are stretching.
    Fry: "I can't swallow that!"
    Farnsworth: "Well then, good news! It's a suppository."

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    1/4" Volara
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Another possibility is that your bury is too "short". I've seen 10" as recommended length. If it's shorter than that it might not hold solidly.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hommes90 View Post
    Another possibility is that your bury is too "short". I've seen 10" as recommended length. If it's shorter than that it might not hold solidly.
    I use at least 12" and have never slipped.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmplpwilt View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know what kind of tree straps you use. I'm guessing you are using nylon tree straps and they are stretching overnight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast