Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    neo.....I've been fighting the whoopie sling battle for quite a while but am in the process of swapping over to them now that I'm looking at backpacking. They are a cool set up but the only thing I don't like is trying to make adjustments when the hammock has the quilts on/in it. I hope that once the whoopies get some use to them that they may loosen up a bit and make adjustments easier.

What hammock set up did you go with on your new rig???

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
    neo.....I've been fighting the whoopie sling battle for quite a while but am in the process of swapping over to them now that I'm looking at backpacking. They are a cool set up but the only thing I don't like is trying to make adjustments when the hammock has the quilts on/in it. I hope that once the whoopies get some use to them that they may loosen up a bit and make adjustments easier.

What hammock set up did you go with on your new rig???
    i use a dd frontline hammockneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    the main reason i switched from tri buckle to whoopies is the ease of adjusting my hammockneo
    The reason I switched to buckles is the same you switched to whoopies. Is all perspective. I have used both for awhile now and I find SMC Decender Rings much easier to operate than whoopies for adjusting. Wait till those things get wet and freeze. YMMV, HYOH.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I am ok with the whoopies. I'm sure that my complaint with them is the same as everyone else... if there is weight on them, they are hard/impossible to adjust. If I had three hands, I would love them. I am, however, developing my technique of holding the hammock under my arm while I loosen the whoopies enough to adjust them.
    I am considering going back to the hennessy method of running my rope through two rings. Easier to adjust! For those who don't know what I'm talking about, just search hennessy on youtube.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I recently had an epiphaney when I purchased a Darien UL; it comes with whoopie slings that are reversed and use a dutch hook to connect to a loop at each gathered end of the hammocks. Then it uses a dutch clip to connect your tree strap to the tree. The whoopie sling is simply larks headed to one end of the whoopie sling. When it's done like this you can hang between trees that are really close, you're suspension is lighter than any webbing or buckle set up will ever be and it's the easiest to hook up and take down. I didn't realize how much of a difference it would make reversing the whoopie sling and using the dutch gear on each end.

In my humble opinion this is the ultimate hammock suspension currently available to man kind

Gideon

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle

Re: whoopie slings love them or hate them.

I like the whoopies, but for my situation webbing and cinch buckles work better. When I hang inside I don't have as much room so only the cinch buckle will work. Now when I go camping I bring it all, webbing, buckles, and whoopies. The weight and space is insignificant to me for now, I just like having options and getting to play around with it all. Give me a year and I can probably give you a straight answer.

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I started out with the buckles that came with my WBBB. I swapped out to whoopies for weight reasons..plus the buckles and I tended to have arguments and they usually won. I attempted to go the UCR route (both dynaglide and Amsteel) but I had it fail once or thrice (most likely pudgy user error) and I left a couple dents in the ground and my tailbone. As a result, I've stuck to whoopies.

I'm definitely the type that is open to improvements and a better way, so as much as I love whoopies, I'm always tweaking and exploring other options. Except UCrs. We don't get along.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    my new dd modular jungle hammocks came with whoopiesneo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have straps on my WBBB and whoppies on my Hennessy... Putting straps on the Hennessy as soon as I get them.. Not a fan of the Whoppie..But to each his//her own HYOH and set up your gear so it works for you.
    I think I will have to find a use for the whoppie.. they are nice and I don't want to throw them away... just not on my hammock.
    YMMV
    Jerry
    "I too have kept the Vigil"
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”
    ― John Wayne
    www.thescoutmasterminute.net
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scoutmasterjerry

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1/ DIY SL Digicam 1.8
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ / DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Recent whoopie convert. Straps are great and easier adjusted to tighten....but hella more difficult to loosen in my experience with them. Whoopies are lighter and easy for me. HYOH

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast