Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    The Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know what kind of tree straps you use. I'm guessing you are using nylon tree straps and they are stretching overnight.
    Thanks for all of the thoughts here. I will definitely try the milking thing. The straps and Whoopie Slings as well as the toggles I purchased from Arrowhead Equipment it was their Marline Spike Hitch Whoopie Kit. The straps are polyester. Any other thoughts? This is a great place to gain knowledge. I gotta admit that since I came across this site I have spent at least 2-3 hours everyday reading, learning and laughing.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    My main reason to put on whoopies .... Tree sap.
    Agreed. Can separate the straps from the hammock and whoopies.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowAlpha View Post
    Whoopies love 'em. Less bulk & weight. Used straps & buckles & actually the buckle was always more work for me.
    I agree. Seems to me when I observe hangers who use straps ... and rings ... and buckles ... and biners ... and clips, there's often a lot of gear and weight involved. Maybe it's just some of the particular hangers I've observed? Then, they have to knot the straps to "back up" the hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    whoopie slings love them or hate them.last night was my 1st experience with.i dont see what is great about them.i will give them a few more ties before i throw them in the camp fire lolneo
    NEO!!! Don't you dare. Amsteel doesn't burn well. Don't pollute or liter a campsite! Give them to me for my wife.

Rain Man

Last edited by Rain Man; 05-08-2012 at 07:43.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I've always used whoopies...but now that I have a much longer hammock that has become a problem. Especially trying to find some place to hang here at home (which ended up being in the attic with the whoopies). I had a friend here on the forums, Dweller7 who does excellent work, made me some amsteel chain links to add to the ends of my hammock so that I have more options. At this point I'm not sure what I'll end up using out in the field, but for here at home the whoopies do not go short enough and I can see the potential of problems out in the field too.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Whoopies, love 'em. If the trees are too close together, I can't hang my tarp properly anyways. Plus I live in New York and most of my camping is around here, if you can't find trees with good spacing around here you're doing it wrong.

It's the weight and bulk. I know, I probably can't feel the difference in my backpack, but I can see it on my scale, and pack weight is made up of a lot of small things. No one drop feels responsible for the flood, right?

They work equally well for hanging casually around the house so I don't feel any need to have different setups.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I started with the WB straps and buckles, latest generation and found the system worked very well. My reservations as a weight conscious backpacker were the weight. Also the wet was a problem as the straps are attached to the hammock. You can't forget it, but the sap and wet go with it too.

I talked to Dutch and of course he had the solution and I went with his Dutch hooks on inverted WS. I love that this package is light and strong. It has never slipped or stretched on me. I can easily detach the hooks from the continuous loop on my hammock and keep them with my stakes so the wet and sap don't get all over the hammock. I did notice that I could hang on trees that are closer together with the straps than the whoopies.

I have not tried it yet, but will a marlin spike hold in the the amsteel WS where I could then just loop the continuous loop on my hammock over the knot making it a lot shorter? Of course if your tarp is 11' you won't need to go any shorter than that on a hang.

I still use the straps (they are easy to put back on) in the back yard as things are close together.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Whoopies in the warm weather. They make my fingers cold in the winter. I switch to Straps and buckles when it's cold enough to wear gloves.

S

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Whoopies in the warm weather. They make my fingers cold in the winter. I switch to Straps and buckles when it's cold enough to wear gloves.

S
    I can totally See that
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I love my whoopies!
    I just made my 1st set of UCR's to take it a step further.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    If the trees are too close together, I can't hang my tarp properly anyways.
    I love the stock straps on my WBBB, but the sap thing drives me nuts. As festus said, does my tarp length cancel out the disadvantage in minimum tree length caused by whoopies? For example, I have a WBBB and a MacCat Deluxe. If my reading of the specs is right, my tarp is 11 feet and my hammock is 10 feet? If that is right, does anyone know the minimum tree distance for my tarp v. straps v. whoopies? How short can you get a whoopie sling, anyway?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whoopie slings are top notch. And they will work when the trees are close together (with a bit of ingenuity on your part).
    Blaze.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast