Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Who invented UQs?

Just for fun, who do Y'all credit with inventing the UQ? Or at least who invented a quilt product sold as a hammock UQ, and when did they do it?

I am thinking JRB? This was in the days before dif cut, and the Nest was in existence before more than a handful of folks new what an HH was, or what hammock camping was.

Then again, that original KAQ came on the scene pretty early. And the HHSS was available before I found out what a camping hammock was, which was Sept 2006.

But another possibility is the Speer PeaPod, that TQ/UQ/bag combo, which also was on the market in some form or another when there were but just a few hangers. And before I even knew about camping in a hammock and that there were new tricks to learn if I was going to stay warm in a hammock.

Or, was it some one other than any of these folks?

As a related question: Who invented the dif cut hammock UQ? But the dif cut hammock UQ had to be one of these guys. It seems to me nearly a toss up between JRB again and Youngblood's/Speers Snugfit. One is probably 1st, I just can't remember who. However, the original dif cut WB CS Yeti ( still using mine, one of just a very few that exist) also came on the scene pretty darn close to both of those.

Whatch Y'all think?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I think it was Al Gore.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    +1 Al Gore

At least he takes credit for the invention.

JRB made the first UQ's I saw. The Speer was the 1st dif cut UQ I recall, but I'm not sure.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    After just having made 3, and posting panic threads and questions through out the forum, I really feel I need to take the opportunity to claim this title I'll forward my address to whom ever would like to send me the crown (not the plastic one, I already have one of those)
    ...I'm bowing now, you just can't see me. I'll give a speech as soon as the applause stops.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Just for fun, who do Y'all credit with inventing the UQ? Or at least who invented a quilt product sold as a hammock UQ, and when did they do it?
    Commercially, it was the Jacks from JRB. In about 2003-2004. I think they debuted the Nest for sale at Trail Days 2004.

I am thinking JRB? This was in the days before dif cut, and the Nest was in existence before more than a handful of folks new what an HH was, or what hammock camping was.
    A lot of people were actually hammock camping before that. Speer certainly was. HH was well established, and Clark, along with several several other companies. But, most of the insulation was pad or pod based in various forms.

Then again, that original KAQ came on the scene pretty early. And the HHSS was available before I found out what a camping hammock was, which was Sept 2006.
    I don't know the dates on the HHSS, but I believe it arrived in the same rough time frame as underquilts. The KAQ debuted in ~2004 as a DIY project to save money over down quilts by using synthetic insulation. In addition to the plans, its creator made and sold them for a short time before moving on. He later sold that business and it changed hands a couple of times before it became part of what is now Arrowhead.

But another possibility is the Speer PeaPod, that TQ/UQ/bag combo, which also was on the market in some form or another when there were but just a few hangers.
    I'm not certain on its release date. But there were a number of 'pod' designs available before true underquilts came along. Those include DIY designs, as well as at least one called the Panda hammock.

As a related question: Who invented the dif cut hammock UQ? But the dif cut hammock UQ had to be one of these guys. It seems to me nearly a toss up between JRB again and Youngblood's/Speers Snugfit.
    It was Youngblood, who then partnered with Speer. He invented the SnugFit design, which was the first commercially available differentially cut model. I think that was winter 2006/2007. Others followed suit with competing designs within the year. The WB layered Yeti and the JRB Mt Washingtion were among them, but I don't recall which came first.

However, the original dif cut WB CS Yeti ( still using mine, one of just a very few that exist) also came on the scene pretty darn close to both of those.
    I believe the WB models didn't appear until the fall following his El Dorado design. That wasn't until 2007. It was the first partial length underquilt, though.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    FWIW, a lot of the really early hammock and insulation discussions happened on Whiteblaze. The growth of talk about it there spurred the creation of HF as a standalone forum. We're still going, 6 years later.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    re-enforcing what AngrySparrow said.

1. I think the Jacks get the nod for the UQ, at a minimum they discovered it independently. See this story.

2. My recollection is that WBG's differential quilt was out before JRB's. But without question Youngblood gets the nod for using that idea on an underquilt for hammocks.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    I've been reading up on hammocks since about late 2003/early 2004 and I have the recollection that the nest was first, followed later by the No Sniveler top quilt.

Then the KAQ was introduced later as an alternative for people either allergic or not a fan (or $$ sensitive) of down.

Speer may have been first with the pea pod. Hennessy kind of was the first 'lightweight camping hammock' but it was Ed Speer who really kicked off the community, with the hammock email list and yahoo group, as well as the first community hangs.

Here's an interesting piece of history: Risk's (or Flyfisher's) cold weather tests from '02. See also his tests from '03/04. http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultrahammock1.htm

The garlington taco+ insulator is perhaps a precursor to the UQ?

I would place the nest at about 03/04. I got mine before I finished high school (or close on) in 2005.

Also: the top quilts borrow a lot from Ray Jardine's ultralight ethos- I believe he was one of the first to really start 'evangelizing' quilts.

TH

EDIT:
    some more hammocking history
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/messages/1
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Our%20Story.htm
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/foru...line&order=asc
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ock-underquilt

prehistory:
    http://www.ecomall.com/greenshopping/hammock.htm
    Last edited by titanium_hiker; 05-01-2012 at 22:29.
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    The garlington taco+ insulator is perhaps a precursor to the UQ?
    I concur. That idea was much discussed even after HF started in 2006.

Images
    Thanks guys, this is pretty much about how I figured. Having just read the link Grizz supplied, I see that the Jacks tested their 1st Nest in January 04. Not sure how long after that before it was available to the public for purchase.

Titanium Hiker, followed some of your links to Ed Speer's user group. And guess what the very 1st thing was people wanted to discuss? Yep, you gguessed it: staying warm in a hammock! The links, which are found in the Speer user group, for Speer's Newsletters don't work anymore.( I remember reading those in years past) But in a Jan 03 post from Ed Speer, telling about a previous trip, I see this:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/message/39
    I'm using a total of 3/4" foam pad, a Mylar sheet, 20 degree down bag inside, my outside Pea Pod shell, and longjohn clothes. This is good down to about 15 degrees w/ no wind. Colder temps require more bottom insulation.
    So looks like Ed was at least already using a PeaPod in late 2002 or very early 03, though don't know when he had them for sale. I consider the PeaPod an UQ among other things, so maybe he was 1st?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-01-2012 at 22:57.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast