Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks

Hammock Gear and the Phoenix

Quick question folks. I've been looking at underquilts and I like the 3/4 Phoenix from Hammock Gear but when I went to place my order on line it said they couldn't ship to my location. I'm in eastern Missouri. Called and left a message and send an email.

Anyone else experience this?

Any comments or opinions on the Phoenix 20 degree 3/4? I'm 57" tall so it's only 15" short of covering all of me See there are benefits to being short!

Only 12 oz but i'll get one ounce of overfil for good measure. Seems like it'll do well for me as i won't be out in zero weather but do plan on a lot of fall backpacking this year.

In case I use a tent, I went wiht a Marmot Arroyo down bag. When unzipped far enough it'll work well as an overquilt and it's super light and compacts well.

Still assembling all of my gear for my first overnighter but did put up my Hennessey for the first time on a day hike with the kids. I'd already installed whoopie strings and used the martin hitch set up. It's great. I did buy a couple of ultralight titanium states from Vargo Outdoors. A good company with outstanding customer service.

Trying to fit the first official overnighter in sometime over the next few weeks. When I do I promise a lot of pics of my "from nothing" to fully equiped hammock guy. I owe it all to you folks, thanks for the education!

Gideon

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Quick question folks. I've been looking at underquilts and I like the 3/4 Phoenix from Hammock Gear but when I went to place my order on line it said they couldn't ship to my location. I'm in eastern Missouri. Called and left a message and send an email.

Only 12 oz but i'll get one ounce of overfil for good measure. Seems like it'll do well for me as i won't be out in zero weather but do plan on a lot of fall backpacking this year.
    I think you have your weights wrong. The 40* Phoenix is 12.3 oz, but the 20* Phoenix is 16.7 oz. I have the 20* degree with 2 oz. overstuff and love it. I'm 5'10 & 3/4" and I've had it down to 16 degrees, but could probably go down to 10 degrees with the 2 oz. overstuff.

I think HammockGear won't ship to Missouri because the state was so wishy-washy during the Civil War, supplying troops and support to both Yanks and Rebels. Nothing more cowardly than playing both sides of the fence.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 05-01-2012 at 19:15.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I think HammockGear won't ship to Missouri because the state was so wishy-washy during the Civil War, supplying troops and support to both Yanks and Rebels. Nothing more cowardly than playing both sides of the fence.
    I'm still surprised we recognize MO.

Could be cuz y'all talk funny, too. Took me forever to figure out that when my cousin kept telling me she was going to tell her "diddy" that she really meant "daddy".
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    You're right about the weight! 16.7 plus one if I get the one oz overfill, or two.

Good to hear the good opinion. I like the price and the size. I only want to do this once! I figure I can carry it on summer hikes and just leave it to one end or the other or let it "gap" if it's too warm but I really want it for spring and fall.

I'm not sure but I think I can fit it in the Sea to Sumit dry/compression sack I have for my sleeping bag. there should be room and that way all of the "down" stuff is protected from wet and it'll still be a small package.

I can only hope you're kidding about the civil war bit I wonder what they'd say if they knew I was from New York

Thanks for the input
    Gideon

Hammock
    None
    Tarp
    None
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    None
    Images
    You're right about the weight! 16.7 plus one if I get the one oz overfill, or two.

Good to hear the good opinion. I like the price and the size. I only want to do this once! I figure I can carry it on summer hikes and just leave it to one end or the other or let it "gap" if it's too warm but I really want it for spring and fall.

I'm not sure but I think I can fit it in the Sea to Sumit dry/compression sack I have for my sleeping bag. there should be room and that way all of the "down" stuff is protected from wet and it'll still be a small package.

I can only hope you're kidding about the civil war bit I wonder what they'd say if they knew I was from New York

Thanks for the input
    Gideon

Hey let's leave NY out of this. All we do is sit here up in the east and be awesome. I mean where else can you go from one of the greatest cities in the world to some of the best mountains and wilderness in the world? On topic though I have no experience with hammockgears stuff. Every single thing I have heard has been good though. Never a negative comment. I don't think I would hesitate to buy from them.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    HammockGear rocks!

Oh, and New England is the best part of the US

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I ran into the ordering problem so I called and left a message and then went back into my account that evening on my phone and it let me put the order through. So maybe check back and see if they've fixed it for ya. Not my first order from them, they've gone above and beyond for me in the past so always worth the wait and weight in my book.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Currently Adam and Jenny who own and operate Hammock Gear are unfortunately having a few problems with their website especially the ordering of products. I know that Jenny is working around the clock to get this fixed as stated in some other threads regarding the same issue. Adam is also away right now so Jenny is running the shop by herself. But IMHO, hang (no pun intended) in their they make great gear and their quilts are toasty warm and top notch. I've taken my 20 rated Phoenix and Burrow into the mid teens (with some clothing on) and was toasty warm. I like the fit of the Phoenix being broad shoulder and 6ft. It covers enough of my shoulders that I do not get cold spots and is just the right length to cover enough of me leaving my torso size pad I carry with me anyways the perfect size for underneath my feet. OOHH and if you are looking/interested in getting a lighter weight Phoenix their is always the option of getting a custom Phoenix using different material such as M50 which is a lighter material then 1.1. Hope you get to order your Phoenix soon. And if you want to read over some reviews of Hammock Gear quilts their are lots of them in their sub forum as well as I have done many myself .
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Well Kallorne had some good advise; on a whim I went to their site and tried again and it worked perfectly!! So the new Phoenix 20 with 2 oz of over fil is on order. I'm going to have to do a lot of weekend trips this fall to make it worth it. Good thing about this part of Missouri is that we rarely see temps in the teens at night so this will likely be a 4 season set up for me.

The problem will likely be too much heat in the summer! I could end up roasting. this weekend it's already supposed to be up to 92!

the basic gear for this set up isn't cheap so I'm hoping this does for me what I'm thinking it will! My goal is to keep my pack weight under 15lbs without considering water or food. I'm on track to doing that but the I miss calculated on the weight of the phoenix. We'll see....

Thanks again for the help!
    Gideon

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Well Kallorne had some good advise; on a whim I went to their site and tried again and it worked perfectly!! So the new Phoenix 20 with 2 oz of over fil is on order. I'm going to have to do a lot of weekend trips this fall to make it worth it. Good thing about this part of Missouri is that we rarely see temps in the teens at night so this will likely be a 4 season set up for me.

The problem will likely be too much heat in the summer! I could end up roasting. this weekend it's already supposed to be up to 92!

the basic gear for this set up isn't cheap so I'm hoping this does for me what I'm thinking it will! My goal is to keep my pack weight under 15lbs without considering water or food. I'm on track to doing that but the I miss calculated on the weight of the phoenix. We'll see....

Thanks again for the help!

Gideon

Awesome, glad to hear you were able to order your UQ and glad to hear that Hammock Gear website is up and running smoothly again. And even though I personally do not prefer this method, many here on Hammock Forums use a higher rated UQ in the warmer months and simply vent the UQ. Enjoy your warm downy goodness when it arrives.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast