Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double and Haven XL
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap

Small guy, what length UQ and some other advice.

Im 5'4". My hammock is 118" x 80". Plenty big enough for me...probably a little too big....What size UQ should I be looking for? I rarely sleep flat on my back stretched out. Im more of a semi-back/side sleeper. I wouldnt think I would need a full length UQ and need to save money where possible so Im thinking of getting a Jarbridge River or something of similar size. Heck the Jarbridge is only 5" shorter than i am so it would practically be a full length UQ for me ha ha.

My other options are:

doing the no-sew PLUQ but im not entirely confident it would be very warm as it seems there is alot of room for air to get in. Use my Sleeping bag or other as a TQ

Sew-um-up PLUQ but I don't have easy access to a sewing machine. Sleeping bag or other as TQ

Trying to find a way to use my sleeping bag as a cocoon/pod but it doesn't seem it would fit around my hammock that well, may be restricting and seems alot of air would get in through the open head end.

Sleeping bag as UQ. and either a second sleeping bag (too much bulk) or other as TQ.

Id like to be able to not carry the bulky sleeping bag at all if I can get by with a PLUQ and a warm blanket as TQ. I mostly car camp so weight/bulk isn't a HUGE issue but it would be nice to keep the bulk to a minimum.
    I'm mostly a fair weather spring/fall car camper but do occasionally camp where the night time temp drops a little below 40*. Although this has been in a tent with a warm body next to me.

Can someone give me your thoughts on the above setups? What have been your experiences with the PLUQ and/or sleeping bag cocoon? Is the Jarbridge a good size for me?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think a HG Phoenix or Arrowhead Flamethrower would about cover you.

However, I had both a Yeti & a JarBridge. I much prefer my full length HG Incubator. It has the 'extra' length beyond my head & feet.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    If you sleep semi-fetal, any 2/3rds quilt should fit... Makes for a light setup!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    My wife is 4' 11'' and she loves the HG Phoenix as well as do I. The phoenix covers her from toes to a little below her nose so it's basically a full length UQ for her. And if you use the phoenix and sleep in the fetal position on your side you may not even need a pad for underneath your feet if and when the temps drop. My wife does not.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double and Haven XL
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    I had a look at some of the ones y'all have suggested. Thank you all for the replies. Unfortunately most are out of my budget. I may stick to making one or the Jarbridge if funds allow. I may be seeing someone this weekend that is a heck of a seamstress so I may bribe her somehow .

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The synthetic UQ will be the least expensive. You might also check out the "For Sale" & "Want to Buy" posts for a deal.

If you know a good seamstress & you're really short on money, you might start with a $10 wally world bag & have some suspension added and the zippers cut off.

A final thought was that it was far easier for me to save up the funds than trying to find the time, materials & expertise to build a decent DIY one.

Arrowhead & some of the other vendors will have sales (almost always posted here) once in a while. Maybe save up for a Memorial Day or 4th of July sale?

Hammock
    Clark NA, HH UL
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ, bag TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm 5'8" and 150lbs, just ordered a jarbridge because I'm also a side/semi fetal sleeper. I use a 0 deg. 850 fp down mummy bag as my winter top quilt and a 40 deg marmot aspen minimalist mummy I got practically free at ****'s after coupons and sale as a spring/fall TQ. The mummy footboxes keep my feet warm while the unzipped bag covers me when im curled up on my side. I use either my spare clothes in a stuffsack or a small camp pillow, so really the few inches top and bottom the jarbridge doesnt cover are fine. I can always shove the small 24x24" piece of ccf i use to sit on/ set under my hammock to step out onto into my footbox if needed.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    You need a 65" Underquilt. That will fit you like a glove. Many of the makers will custom the length for you.

S

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    take a look at yeti on warbonnetoutdoors

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    my HG full length is 65".
    i'm 5'8".
    i can stretch out in the hammock, the quilt covers head to feet... but with NO room to spare. weight is an issue, otherwise i would've just got the regular incubator, which basically eats up the entire length of the hmmk.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

• + New Posts