Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    Havent checked the work schedule yet, but plan on going if I can. If I make it, I will be glad to give some rides out of town if anyone needs one. Ill let yall know soon if i can make it. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    Havent checked the work schedule yet, but plan on going if I can. If I make it, I will be glad to give some rides out of town if anyone needs one. Ill let yall know soon if i can make it. BD
    I'm planning on going too, but I won't know 'till it's closer to the date. I can also provide rides for anyone near Greensboro.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    If I go, I can give some thru hikers rides back to their points on the trail. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If I go, I can give some thru hikers rides back to their points on the trail. BD
    i should be able to give someone a ride back to the trail on sun afternoon if needed.
    i probably won't go to trail days until fri eve or sat morn, so i probably wouldn't be much help in getting there. ..tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Oh yeah...that too! DUH!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    I think I'm going...but of course have no clue what point I'll be at on the trail by then. My partner really wants to meet my trail friends (I brag about how cool you all are!) and her birthday is May 18 (same weekend as TD) so we're kind of talking about her picking me up where ever I'm at and going to TD together/celebrating her birthday. Not sure yet though. Alot depends on her job and how busy the restaurant is at that time (she's an executive chef...has no life). I'm pretty sure I'll attend regardless.

I was also wondering what HE wondered...do you just leave your gear at your campsite and walk around? I'd be paranoid about stuff being out like that.
    This is my signature.

Images
    Most people set up in a spot and stay there for the whole time -- however, some find a better spot or a group of friends they want to 'hang' with (bad pun) and move there. Spots are not assigned.

If this group plans to camp together, it might be a good idea to have someone go a day or so before TD and scout out a good area for hanging. Some groups show up with banners and block off an area for their group. No one seems to mind as long as enough camping spots are available for everyone. Since y'all can use portions of the site that are not acceptable for tenting, I don't foresee y'all having problems.

Images
    While I advocate keeping your stuff where you can see it, there are definitely times when that is not an option. As L.Wolf and others have said the main problem is in towns and Damascus definitely claims to be that.

Baltimore Jack also says to keep your valuables with you (IE - your ID, any money, your camera and such.). The rest bury in your pack deeply so that the person who might go rifling thru your stuff is discouraged of finding anything they can use.

For the most part the local sheriff/police are on site and providing security to Tent City. There are also many Trail Angels who stay in Tent City throughout the day. Mala, Preacher, Bill of Billville, Ms. Janet and Baltimore Jack attended last year. In general there are enough people around the campsites that few people are going to really bother your stuff without being noticed by someone. So just like being at home you should get to know your neighbors. If you have someone coming to visit who is coming via automobile then locking valuables in the car is also an option to be considered.

While generally everything can be replaced, give some clear thought to what is important. ID, Credit/Debit Cards, Ipods, camerasand especially money should be kept safe. No one but the most destitute is going to want your dirty smelly clothes, shoes, sleeping bag, tent or hammock so they may be safe to leave behind while you walk around.

Last year I had the advantage of having driven to TDZ so I had that security as fleeting as it may be. This year I will be one of the hikers, the good news is that I made the acquaintance of a few of the people listed above and feel relatively safe in leaving my stuff out or with them around.

As always be safe and be smart. If in doubt, don't leave anything behind or move to a safer location. Money can to some extent be replaced but not as easily as clothes. Use your intuition or street smarts to guide you on the correct approach when the time comes.

But then hey what do I know? You can ask LW or BJ or Ms. J!

Oh by the way Tent City in general hums and parties until the wee hours of the morning so if you really expect to get much sleep it will come between the hours of 4 AM and 9 AM. If you have a problem with noisy environments then you might want to consider one of the B&B's in town (expensive to say the least).

Really TDZ is an experience that you won't soon forget one way or the other. It's a time to meet current hikers, past hikers and future hikers, hostel owners (Ms J and Cloud 9 were present last year) along the trail and trail maintainers, Trail legends and some truly interesting people in general. You can be a part of the fun or you can people watch which can be just as much fun at times.

Lastly for those so interested, either VA or Damascus in particular have a law about visibly carrying an open alcholic beverage in public. So if you are so inclined remember that you need to stealth drink. Paperbags or Nalgenes generally work to skirt the law. In Tent City the cops don't go out of their way to look for it, in the city is another issue entirely. I guess every year that several people get stupid and end up on the wrong side of the law.

TOG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    i hope to make it this year neo

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    When I see pictures of all the tents clustered together like that, it gives me a warm feeling inside to know that I won't have to crawl over the nasty ground to get in out of my shelter!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast