Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Hammock/tarp recomendations for a scout

There is a scout in my troop who has tried my son's and my hammocks out, and he wants to get into hammock camping. He is buying it on a budget, and has asked me for recomendations. DIY is out (in this case), so I thought I would look for everyone's advice.

For the record, he is tall and lanky. Though only 15, he is almost 6' tall, so prehaps some of the smaller hammocks may be of limited value. I intend to recomend a pad/SPE as economical bottom insulation. So for the time being, I am considering both a hammock (open or mosquito ) and tarp. He does like to backpack, so I want to keep my options fairly lightweight.

My personal hammock experience is exclusively with my Skeeter Beeter Pro and my more recently aquired WBBB 1.1 dbl, but I don;t want my limited experience to bias my recomendations.

Any ideas of what he should consider?
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    At Academy Sports and Outdoors they have a 20 dollar sl and a 20 dollar bug net.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    I haven't tried one, but I keep hearing great things about the Butt In A Sling hammocks. They have that All-In-One Hammock kit for $55, which includes suspension and everthing. They are 11 ft long, so that may work for him.

He could then pick up a big blue wonder tarp at Wally World for a few bucks to verify he loves it before jumping in feet first. That'll defeat the backpacking route at the outset, but I'm sure he can give hanging a trial run on a weekend car camping outing or a Jamboree...

As a 15 year old Scout $55 + maybe $10 was a GREAT deal of money to me (25 years ago), but even in the '80's it was quite a bit less than that Eureka tent yerned for!!!

I hope he hangs and achieves Eagle!
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I'll shoot you a PM with some options. We would love to help out (especially with scouts) anywhere we can. We are going to be out for the weekend at the Reelfoot hang, so if you don't get a response back, your not being ignored.
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

Hammock
    DIY Blue Monster
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    I would not recommend an open hammock unless you are also going to recommend a bug net solution. I don't have experience with any add-on bug nets so I can't comment myself, though I can attest to the Camper model by BIAS as a nice open hammock, if you go that route.

Make sure your recommendation covers:
    - Hammock
    - Bug Net
    - Suspension system
    - Tarp
    - Bottom Insulation (they can use a sleeping bag for top insulation to get started)

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by Vissarian View Post
    I would not recommend an open hammock unless you are also going to recommend a bug net solution. I don't have experience with any add-on bug nets so I can't comment myself, though I can attest to the Camper model by BIAS as a nice open hammock, if you go that route.

Make sure your recommendation covers:
    - Hammock
    - Bug Net
    - Suspension system
    - Tarp
    - Bottom Insulation (they can use a sleeping bag for top insulation to get started)
    Vissarian is right. My only addition is that in this case, with it being a high schooler who's strapped for cash and warmer weather moving in, some options could wait until later -- specifically insulation. But a hammock with an integrated bug net or a separate net and a cheap blue tarp are bare minimum. This time of year, compressed or not, you can lie on a sleeping bag for some degree of insulation... or use a blue pad.

tncamper offered some heavy discounts on our items to help out this scout... and if you go another route (which is fine by us), a GT Skeeter Beater is a good system for the $$. You still need a blue tarp though.

Good luck!
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    Thats It!

My next hammock is going be from the BIAS guys. You've offered to aid a Scout, I'll support the local economy...it'll be a win. Now to remind momma that my birthday is fast approaching!

I'd love to make it out to Reelfoot this weekend and meet everyone, but at least I'll be able to get my tots up on Monteagle for an outing.

~SMK
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    There is a scout in my troop who has tried my son's and my hammocks out, and he wants to get into hammock camping. He is buying it on a budget, and has asked me for recomendations. DIY is out (in this case), so I thought I would look for everyone's advice.

For the record, he is tall and lanky. Though only 15, he is almost 6' tall, so prehaps some of the smaller hammocks may be of limited value. I intend to recomend a pad/SPE as economical bottom insulation. So for the time being, I am considering both a hammock (open or mosquito ) and tarp. He does like to backpack, so I want to keep my options fairly lightweight.

My personal hammock experience is exclusively with my Skeeter Beeter Pro and my more recently aquired WBBB 1.1 dbl, but I don;t want my limited experience to bias my recomendations.

Any ideas of what he should consider?
    Why is DIY out? I have camped for over a year (scout camping, Pensacola area) with a DIY. 4yrds of nylon from walmart. No absolute need to hem, and fraying of mine has been minimal. For bugs, I drape a double "cot" mosquito net over the SRL. For a tarp, I first used a poly tarp, now I have a Guidegear (older version) 12x12. I still use a walmart patterned pad for insulation (supplement it with a car sunshield for below 50).

Academy sports has a mosquito hammock for about $40.

A lightweight cheap option for a tarp is tyvek. Do you know any contractors?
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by ftroop94 View Post
    Thats It!

My next hammock is going be from the BIAS guys. You've offered to aid a Scout, I'll support the local economy...it'll be a win. Now to remind momma that my birthday is fast approaching!

I'd love to make it out to Reelfoot this weekend and meet everyone, but at least I'll be able to get my tots up on Monteagle for an outing.

~SMK
    I like this too, and I have been looking back and forth at open hammocks. Now I know where my next purchase will be from. Thanks Bias guys.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Exped Multimat
    Suspension
    Webbing
    As a former Scout, I have a Hennessy Hex Tarp I'd be willing to donate, only pay for shipping

It weighs 23oz, is made from polyurethane-coated 70d polyester, coyote-brown, and 144" on the ridgeline by 120" wide; it's a big tarp hehe. A little heavy for some people's taste, but hey. It was cheap!

It's actually boxed and in my car already lol, I have it listed for sale over on BPL.com, so I can ship it out pretty quick.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast