Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Getting ready to pull trigger

Hi all. I just came off the AT (NJ) this past weekend, while laying on the cold rocky ground I thought why not a hammock. I spoke to a guy using one (HH) for the 1st time & he said he loved it, after getting it adjusted & positioned correctly. I have been researching & emailing for the last 2 days & have it narrowed to the HH & 1.1 DL WBBB. Im a big side sleeper, starting on my back then side to side. I would love to order by the end of this week for my next trip. I guess im looking for some insite on the latest & greatest improvements on both or anyones personal experience with both, Im open to all suggestions. Im 6'1" tall & 195lbs.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm might about your height and weight and love my Tree To Trail Light Hiker. I don't like how the shelf on the BB blocks my vision. The netting is a little funky too.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Hi all. I just came off the AT (NJ) this past weekend, while laying on the cold rocky ground I thought why not a hammock. I spoke to a guy using one (HH) for the 1st time & he said he loved it, after getting it adjusted & positioned correctly. I have been researching & emailing for the last 2 days & have it narrowed to the HH & 1.1 DL WBBB. Im a big side sleeper, starting on my back then side to side. I would love to order by the end of this week for my next trip. I guess im looking for some insite on the latest & greatest improvements on both or anyones personal experience with both, Im open to all suggestions. Im 6'1" tall & 195lbs.

At 6'1 you will want an Explorer if going with a HH.
    Many love the WB just depends on the person..
    If anyone is local to you, you should try them out it possible.
    And remember if you go with WB you need to order a tarp.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    DIY Blue Monster
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Also consider a Dream-Hammock Dangerbird by Pappa Smurf. It is a longer hammock (11 foot) like those that taller folks prefer and has many creature comforts to make for comfy nights on the trail. He also does custom work/materials to help lighten the weight if that is a primary concern, but durability-wise it is hard to beat his standard crinkle-cut polyester hammock body he uses.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    There are so many good hammock makers out there and so many great hammocks, I would recommend going to a local hang and checking them out in person. You can try them out and see what you like best. Also do more research on this forum to read up on the different hammocks and the pros and cons. You may not get to hang as quickly, but you will save money in the long run. You don't want to get a hammock that you end up not liking and end up selling. Good luck to you, and welcome to this forum.
    +1 on the DangerBird. I just got the DangerBird 72 and I love it. Custom made in the color you choose.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Equinox
    Insulation
    UGQ 40* Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Adj Web Suspension

Side Sleeper

Don't worry too much about back vs. side sleeping. I'm a big time side sleeper on the ground or regular bed (I easily get over 90 degrees)
    But in the hammock I can put my weight on one shoulder and getting very comfortable at about 30-45 degrees. I guess the rest of the material supports my back some and helps me balance at that angle, and my shoulder does not seem to get tired and sore like it does in a bed.

If you want info, you've come to the right place. the people on HF are as nice and helpful as they come.
    ...To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return...

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Well, I have both the HH and the WB 1.1 Dbl. I would be happy to let you try them out... if you're not too far away.

I llve up by the reservation.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB-Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubater & Burrow
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post

I started in the HH and recently switched to a 1.7 DL WBBB. I'm probably going to ship my HH to 2QZQ for the Mod-4, and go back to the HH. I'm 220 lbs and also a side sleeper; I slept a little better in the HH. I'll miss the shelf, but I'll make some new ridgeline organiser's with bigger pockets.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Here's a plug for BIAS WW or possibly the Micro.

Great gear, great service, great prices. And of course, pretty darn light weight.

Lots of great vendors out there. Do yourself and them a favor and take a look at a few others, rather than comparing just a couple. I've never owned either model/brand you are looking at, but the variables are wide ranging. HH while not a WB, usually comes with tarp for the price(albeit not always a great tarp, but in most cases good).

HH peaked my interest in the beginning, and WBBB made me fall in love.

You can drop yourself into a WW + Arrowhead Toxaway tarp, for less than the WBBB or HH Explorer. Minus of course the suspension. $20-25 dollars. It's pretty common though, to mod or switch out both the ones that come with either HH or WB anyway. You might still need to come up with a bugnet, but many options from cottage to DIY exist, and while not a huge dollar item, it is another factor to consider. as well. I'd rather have one, but not attached full time, so that set up works for me, as does the dollar amount.

It took me a long time to evaluate the options and apply it to my budget and needs. In the end I didn't go with any of the "kits" that attracted me to hanging in the first place. Serious hikers probably don't want to trust an el-cheapo,(i know i don't regardless of the "serious" part) and most drivers don't need, want, or can afford, the caddy.

Good Luck and get up off the rocks!
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast