Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

how much pad for legs?

In this scorching weather, it is strange to be thinking of how to keep warm. But we are planning for our annual trip to the Wyoming Mountains 2nd week of Sept. I usually go a week earlier, and the coldest temp I have seen so far is 15*F. I would say low 20s are frequent, with nothing warmer than 30s to low 40s if there is a heatwave.

So, I may take a double bottom hammock with pads only (undecided, may go with PeaPod, depending on which hammock I take), but my step son will go with pads only for sure, to save money more than any other reason, used in a Claytor No Net .

Some folks here have slept in really cold temps using a 1/2 or 3/4 length UQ, and using a pad for the legs. So what I'm wondering is: those that have used pads only for leg warmth( example: Cannibal), how much CCF pad would you say is needed for 15*F? The impression I got is that not as much pad was needed down low as was needed from the butt up. So I'm thinking go with at least a 1" pad( maybe a little thicker, plus wide enough) for the upper body, and something a good bit thinner for below. But how thick is thick enough for legs and feet?

Any ideas?

(OOPS, I guess I should have put this under "pads". Oh well, move thread if needed)
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-29-2008 at 13:49.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I haven't used a "ccf pad only" in much colder weather than about 30°f, so I can't say much about that.
    I believe it was a RidgeRest Delux, full length. I used that & a quilt on top, sleeping in some of my insulated clothes. That seamed to work fine.

But when you talk about using two different pads for torso & legs, I have to wonder how you will be able to keep them in place.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I use a Z-Rest as a pack frame and for my legs with a 3/4 UQ. The coldest I have gone with this combination was 28 F, I believe. I think I could go much colder with it, but the South Carolina weather does not give me many opportunities to try...

If you want to save weight and bulk, maybe some Primaloft or down booties would be worth considering.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    I use a Z-Rest as a pack frame and for my legs with a 3/4 UQ. The coldest I have gone with this combination was 28 F, I believe. I think I could go much colder with it, but the South Carolina weather does not give me many opportunities to try...

If you want to save weight and bulk, maybe some Primaloft or down booties would be worth considering.

Yes, that gives me an idea. As the Z-rest is not very thick ( 3/8, 5/8 ?) and I guess, like a ridgerest, not full thickness in all areas? But still it was plenty good for lower legs to at least 28*F for you.

I remember Cannibal slept to really cold temps with Warbonnet's short UQ design ( teens, single digits?), but I can't remember what he had under his legs. But it seems apparent that you need a good bit less than under your torso.

I think, for one thing, you may compress your bag/quilt foot-box less than you do under your torso, picking up some help for the pad in that way. Just a guess.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Yes, that gives me an idea. As the Z-rest is not very thick ( 3/8, 5/8 ?) and I guess, like a ridgerest, not full thickness in all areas? But still it was plenty good for lower legs to at least 28*F for you.

I remember Cannibal slept to really cold temps with Warbonnet's short UQ design ( teens, single digits?), but I can't remember what he had under his legs. But it seems apparent that you need a good bit less than under your torso.

I think, for one thing, you may compress your bag/quilt foot-box less than you do under your torso, picking up some help for the pad in that way. Just a guess.
    Cannibal put his pack---ULA Catalyst---under his legs. And went below zero, thereby earning an Honorary Zero Hero award from me, a link to which he proudly displays in his signature line.

that is, when he is posting. It's been a long time since we've heard from him. Oddly the HF member's page for him doesn't display when last he was on....

Grizz

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I did some digging around, and I think this is the thread you're looking for. And as Grizz says, he used his pack as insulation. He did have a 1/8" pad as a backup, though.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    that is, when he is posting. It's been a long time since we've heard from him. Oddly the HF member's page for him doesn't display when last he was on....
    Cannibal - Last Activity: 06-29-2008 18:14
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    I haven't used a "ccf pad only" in much colder weather than about 30°f, so I can't say much about that.
    I believe it was a RidgeRest Delux, full length. I used that & a quilt on top, sleeping in some of my insulated clothes. That seamed to work fine.

But when you talk about using two different pads for torso & legs, I have to wonder how you will be able to keep them in place.
    I have done that down into the teens. What I recall was when I stacked different pads using the segmented pad extenders, I could use a combination of full length and 2/3 length pads. But my feet would get cold unless I stuck small pieces of ccf pad in my footbox for them. What I'm thinking is my legs are less sensitive, but not so much my feet. What I recall in particular at the moment, was adding a 2/3 piece of ccf pad to a full length Thermarest pad.

The small pads in the footbox isn't a bad approach when it starts getting really cold. I has one huge advantage with most any insulation scheme and that is it moves with your feet so you don't have to warm up and entirely new section of insulation when you move your feet. That really hit home when I tested large area snugfit style underquilts with more insulation down into the teens. You can reposition and move from a diagonal with your feet on the left to a diagonal with your feet on the right... but when you move, that insulation you move to is pretty dang cold until you warm it up. It is like moving to the cold side of a bed after you have warmed up a spot, you will notice the difference.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 07-30-2008 at 08:12. Reason: Added sentence about Thermarest pad.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    The small pads in the footbox isn't a bad approach when it starts getting really cold. I has one huge advantage with most any insulation scheme and that is it moves with your feet so you don't have to warm up and entirely new section of insulation when you move your feet. That really hit home when I tested large area snugfit style underquilts with more insulation down into the teens. You can reposition and move from a diagonal with your feet on the left to a diagonal with your feet on the right... but when you move, that insulation you move to is pretty dang cold until you warm it up. It is like moving to the cold side of a bed after you have warmed up a spot, you will notice the difference.
    That's not a bad idea Dave! Have you thought about sewing a sleeve into the bottom of the foot box for inserting a ccf pad?
    I just may do that!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    my quilt had a fairly deep foot pocket so needs little inder the legs (nanatuk) my under quilt is a nanatuk with the footbx removed, it makes about a 3/4 uq, whic is plenty with the oq foot box. I have never had to use any additional padding! gnome

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast