Question First Hammock Help. Want a strong one!

I am leaving to live in the Amazon rainforest soon. I have done much research on the name brand hammocks but still don't know which I should choose.

I want a hammock...

...that is strong and has thick material that will last years if I treat it with care.

...with a basic tarp, to keep rain out.

...big enough to let me sleep comfortably. and close to flat.

...with a long, strong suspension (to wrap around a good sized tree need be).

...that packs well, so I can put it in a backpack with ease.

...$300 or less.

I was thinking the HH explorer deluxe, or maybe a WBBB, or a clark (one of the cheaper models).

What do you think? What would you choose?
    Last edited by Saga; 05-02-2012 at 20:38.

Hammock
    HH Deluxe/ DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HH Hex/ WB Superfl
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use the Explorer Deluxe and really like it. I always get a good nights sleep. I however have heard really good things about the WBBB and plan on that being my next hammock to add to my arsenal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Offering fine and unique outdoor products for the serious hiker and hammocker.
    Available at the following retailers:Tier Gear, Dutchware

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well, I don't know about lasting years - that depends on how you treat it. I'd definitely want the bug net built in. If you're expecting a lot of rain, then a bigger tarp is better.

The HH would be fine, especially if you got it with the side zipper.

The WBBB 1.1 d would be double on bottom, so less chance of bug bite thru's on the bottom. I thing the WBBB is a little larger than a HH. The regular strap set up with the WBBB's is great.

Depending on your time frame, another good choice would be a DangerBird 60, which has both a bug net and an overcover.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Well, I don't know about lasting years - that depends on how you treat it. I'd definitely want the bug net built in. If you're expecting a lot of rain, then a bigger tarp is better.

The HH would be fine, especially if you got it with the side zipper.

The WBBB 1.1 d would be double on bottom, so less chance of bug bite thru's on the bottom. I thing the WBBB is a little larger than a HH. The regular strap set up with the WBBB's is great.

Depending on your time frame, another good choice would be a DangerBird 60, which has both a bug net and an overcover.
    The HH Explorer is larger than the WBBB.. But I love the WBBB suspension hence why all my HH have it now
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Baby Orca IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Ultimately it's your choice based on your own priorities. You have a large variety of options available to you for under $300.

You can get an all-in-one integrated system, mix and match components from various vendors, or even make your own.

In my case, cost was even more of a factor, with weight and bulk less so, since I was just sticking my toe in the water, so to speak. A year ago, my initial set-up came in under $100, and included a Hammock Bliss Double and a generic blue tarp from Lowes. I modified the suspension at incremental cost, to complete my starter system.

As I gained experience and confidence, I upgraded various individual components during the year, and now have ~$250 invested in my current set-up. I've increased functionality, durability, and lost bulk and weight in the process.

It also looks slightly less kludgy.
    ol' daddy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I wouldn't count on a dual layer 1.1 hammock to stop jungle bugs from biting you through the hammock; especially bullet ants.

I wouldn't be fooled by the name brand hammocks, it's just a piece of fabric gathered at the ends. Granted the WBBB is more than that, and I certainly love the luxury of it, but it's not necessary.

I would seriously consider a full detached bugnet if planning to live in the jungle/rain forest.

I would look to the heaviest most durable fabric I could find if it was going to be my bed for an extended period of time.

I've never handled it but the 2.8oz foliage grey material from DIYgearsupply looks like a winner to me. With a full bugnet I can't imagine that you will need a dual layer.

As for tarp...

There are lots of great options from the cottage industries. If you're gonna be under the canopy most of the time something smallish would probably be sufficient; cause the rain is gonna be coming straight down.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Kammok or WB RR ,Yunon earth
    Tarp
    Superfly w/ doors
    Insulation
    Snugfit & Burrow
    Suspension
    dutch cilps
    I have WBBB d1.1 and is great

• + New Posts