Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Is this a "whoopie loop"?

I thought I had seen a brief description of this alternative to whoopie slings, so I tried it out on my new hammock. So far it does what I expected. It adjusts the distance between the hammock and the tree strap, and it permits a shorter adjustment than a whoopie sling. This is just a loop with a single bury. It requires a sliding connection at each end, so it won't do for every hammock setup. I use a biner at the hammock and a marlinspike hitch and toggle on the tree strap. The single bury functions like a UCR - that is, there is only tension on one end, so for safety I added a bungee loop with a klemheist knot attached to the tail at the loose end of the bury. I used the pictured whoopie loop for several nights before I added the bungee protection, so it's not essential, but I noticed that just bumping the loose end of the bury could cause it to loosen further and slip. Once I was in the hammock, I think there was enough tension to keep it secure.

This loop was made with a 12 ft. piece of Dynaglide. I started the bury 13" from the end. It was 11" long until I pulled the other end of the line through it, when it shortened to 9". The largest loop this makes is 64" long. The smallest possible loop (shown below without the bungee attached) is about 6" long. That's a wider range than I'd get if I used the same piece of Dynaglide to make a whoopie sling with a locked brummel on the other other end. YMMV - I tend to use longer than standard buries with Dynaglide. In addition to allowing a shorter hammock to tree distance, this uses Dynaglide doubled, which Grizz says doubles its strength (in a perfect world with frictionless pulleys at both ends).

I went back to the post where I thought I learned about these things and found it didn't say what I thought it did. Can anyone identify the source for this idea? Is it called a "whoopie loop"? Anybody use this?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think that is also called a loopie. You are right in that it functions as a UCR. So you have to be mindful to have tension on the tail otherwise it will loosen on you.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I don't know where it came from but I know where it's going ....on my hammock, I was just there ten minutes ago pondering ways of shortening my minimum distance on my snipe beings as it a longer hammock.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    If it's of any help...here's a loopie sling which was being used by arborist' before we started using this type of thing, just as the whoopie sling was...400_32083.jpg
    Last edited by gmcttr; 05-05-2015 at 08:15.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    If memory serves me right, when arborists use a loopie they make sure the load being lifted excerpts pressure on the buried section so it doesn't slip.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Thanks, guys. Henceforth I'll use the term "loopie sling" ("loopie", for short). Arborists rock.

Hammock
    TW-Military
    Tarp
    TW-Ultralite
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Loopy Line
    There was some mention of them in this loopy line thread. If you put the biner on the loose end of the constrictor it should hold perfectly.
    Last edited by gd___; 05-03-2012 at 00:04. Reason: inserted h in link

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Nice, gd___ . The h is missing from http in your link, but I supplied it, so was able to read your interesting post and the replies. Thanks.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    From what I've read, loopie slings are used for attaching a block to a tree using a girth hitch....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joOU8MvktL0

• + New Posts