Hennessy expedition assy.
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    DYI whoopie sling

Velcro Problem

I still have my velcro entrance even if I installed a zipper last year on my asymmetrical hammock. I seem to always feel tension where the velcro is and can not get comfortable because if it. It seem that along the velcro is shorter than the material around it and it put pressure on my left legs. Do you guys have experience this.
    Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I know what you mean. But, I think if you lay on the diagonal this shouldn't be an issue because you won't have your legs in the center of the foot end of the hammock.

I've been reading about HHs for several weeks now. What you speak of is a common criticism of "classic" HHs. There is no way around it. That area will always protrude into a users leg if that particular user's laying sweet spot is close to the velcro opening. Except for short and small people, it seems difficult for many to avoid that area altogether.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsemod View Post
    I've been reading about HHs for several weeks now. What you speak of is a common criticism of "classic" HHs. There is no way around it. That area will always protrude into a users leg if that particular user's laying sweet spot is close to the velcro opening. Except for short and small people, it seems difficult for many to avoid that area altogether.
    This is not an HH and/or Velcro/bottom entry only problem, not at all. It is a common problem for many users of non-bridge hammocks. Some folks suffer mightily with it and some do not.

Want proof it is not simply due to the Velcro/bottom entry? The non bridge hammock which for me clearly has this problem least- which is closest ( and very close indeed) to matching a bridge, is none other than my No Net, but still Velcro bottom entry, HH Safari. Also, I don't think my HH Explorer UL or the HH DJ XL I borrowed from Cannibal for testing are exactly the worst for this problem. They have less calf pressure problems than some I have tried.

Virtually all non-bridge hammocks have that ridge to at least some degree. And if it hits your calf muscle, you are probably going to feel it and it won't feel good. Even my Safari has it, but because it is so big, it usually hits mt in the thigh rather than calf and is a non-issue.

There are about a million threads here on the center ridge pressure issue if you want to search for them. In the mean time, experiment with varying how tight your ridgeline is, and/or hanging the foot higher than the head, and/or putting a nice fluffy pillow or clothing filled stuff sack under your knees(which will also help with any knee hyper-extension problems). As a last resort: bridge hammock. Solves that one problem forever.

Hammock
    North American
    Tarp
    sil-nylon rain fly
    Insulation
    bag/pad combo
    Suspension
    slapstraps
    Images
    I have the Velcro entrance but i have had none of the problems you have listed.
    Happy Hanging To All

S-size up the situation
    U-undue haste makes waste
    R-remember where you are
    V-vanquish fear and panic
    I-improvise
    V-value living
    A-act like the natives
    L-live by your wits

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    +1 to what BillyBob58 said, I have/use a zip only expedition a bottom entry only expedition, a bottom entry only explorer deluxe and a net-less bottom entry Safari. All of them suffer in some degree with the ridge. I have slept in many other non-bridge type hammocks and they had it as well. The larger hammocks move the ridge to a better place but it is still there. Different materials seem to produce different amounts of pressure as well. For me the safari is best but it is huge. I do think the doubled up velcro is a bit stiffer/harder then just a fabric ridge but I don't know how you could do it different and still have the wonderful ability to get in from the bottom.

My explorer deluxe will be seeing 2QZQ for a #4 mod soon and I will leave the bottom entry in tact. I found this fall the net-less safari was a dream when dealing with cold weather gear inside the hammock. But I still want that bottom entry for those bug filled rainy days were I have the tarp pulled down tight.

Like BillyBob said adjust tensions and absolutely hang with feet a bit higher, adjust till you find that spot that is best for you.

Huauqui

• + New Posts