Tarp
    WB MJ /SWT
    Insulation
    Yeti, leg pad/pack
    Suspension
    Whoooooooopie
    Images

DAM vs. UQ?

I have been thinking about hammocking in wet environments.
    Can an argument be made supporting a DAM as a better choice for bottom insulation over a long hike? Weight is an issue, but I feel it would be more versatile over the long haul.

I have recently purchased both a DAM and a Snugfit, and I can see advantages to both. What do you think?
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." Gen. George S. Patton

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I actually use both together in cold weather & I'm as sung as a bug in a rug!
    I haven't tried the DAM alone in very cold weather... maybe 40s, but it spreads my speer type, DIY hammock just enough that if I lay on my back & strait, I still have a little space between me & the walls of the hammock, were my quilt can maintain it's loft... but not much.
    If it's going to be very chili, I personally like to have something on the sides (underquilt or SPE) so I can move around as I like, sleeping on my side w/ legs pulled up, or whatever, w/o feeling the cold air against the sides of the hammock.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Too heavy for me!

You really don't need to be paranoid about wet weather and an underquilt IMO, just cautious. I can only think of a couple of times my quilts have gotten wet and they were my fault for not paying attention or being lazy and paying the price.

Now, if you're considering taking it in case you want to go to ground , that's another story and it would be more comfortable than the shelter deck.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Too heavy for me!

You really don't need to be paranoid about wet weather and an underquilt IMO, just cautious. I can only think of a couple of times my quilts have gotten wet and they were my fault for not paying attention or being lazy and paying the price.

Now, if you're considering taking it in case you want to go to ground , that's another story and it would be more comfortable than the shelter deck.
    And that was a Climashield quilt, if memory serves. How did that work out, with a wet UQ? Clearly you survived and keep going back for more!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    And that was a Climashield quilt, if memory serves. How did that work out, with a wet UQ? Clearly you survived and keep going back for more!
    I actually had to dump standing water (about 6") out of that UQ, then climb into bed for the night. Gooch Mtn. Shelter; I'll never forget that one. That night was the exception in the fact that my down top quilt didn't get wet; probably the only thing that let me sleep that night. Worst morning on the trail. The other times was usually due to lazy packing; not sealing everything up all nice.

Even so, when I switched out to the smaller MacCat Standard tarp I never noticed any 'splash' effect on my quilt in the morning after a storm. I'm sure there was some, but doubt it would have any substantial effect on the quilt's performance. JMO.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    I actually had to dump standing water (about 6") out of that UQ, then climb into bed for the night. Gooch Mtn. Shelter; I'll never forget that one. That night was the exception in the fact that my down top quilt didn't get wet; probably the only thing that let me sleep that night. .
    Man, that sounds pretty darn bad! So, did your back freeze that night? Did it take long to dry out?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Man, that sounds pretty darn bad! So, did your back freeze that night? Did it take long to dry out?
    I don't think the insulation got very wet, the shell did it's job. The larger problem was the fact that the hammock body itself was wet. I tried to dry it with my Pack Towel, then I put my fleece on (supposed to insulate when wet) followed by a stiff upper lip and climbed in for a rotten night.

When I unzipped the quilt in the morning and felt the insulation is was bone dry, so if it got damp my body heat dried it by morning.

I also left my boots out in the open that night. It was not a good night, nor morning.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    I don't think the insulation got very wet, the shell did it's job. The larger problem was the fact that the hammock body itself was wet. I tried to dry it with my Pack Towel, then I put my fleece on (supposed to insulate when wet) followed by a stiff upper lip and climbed in for a rotten night.

When I unzipped the quilt in the morning and felt the insulation is was bone dry, so if it got damp my body heat dried it by morning.

I also left my boots out in the open that night. It was not a good night, nor morning.
    Without nights/days like that you wouldn't appreciate those mornings when the sun was bright, the birds were singing, and the views were inspiring. ... or at least that is what I always told myself, well that and these puds are just training for Katahdin.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    In very moist weather, the down inside the DAM will begin to lose loft as well. Especially if the down is damp and it's cold outside. That's why they say to avoid blowing into them. You'll still have a pad, just with less efficient insulation. Still more resistant than an underquilt, probably...but not completely immune to water or moisture.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    In very moist weather, the down inside the DAM will begin to lose loft as well. Especially if the down is damp and it's cold outside. That's why they say to avoid blowing into them. You'll still have a pad, just with less efficient insulation. Still more resistant than an underquilt, probably...but not completely immune to water or moisture.
    Jeff, I understand you don't manually blow DAMs up, that you use a pump sack to avoid the moisture from you breath. But that is the first I heard about the down getting damp because of the outside air that you use to inflate it containing moisture in humid conditions. It makes sense and something I always wondered about, just don't remember hearing that before.

Do you recon that the 'cold to the bone' that we sometimes experience in cold humid conditions is due in part to our basic insulation being compromised by moisture penetration?
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast