DIY Bugnet Question

Hey all, just want to start by saying this board is awesome! Been a ground dweller up until recently, but I am so pumped about getting diving into my own custom setup. Eventually I would like to sew my own tarp and possibly hammock, but for now I am using an ENO DN converted to whoopie slings and the ProFly tarp with some tarp tensioners I made out of shock cord.

I am pretty much set for my 5 day trip to Cumberland Island, GA to hang with the wild horses, but one thing keeps going through my head. Mosquitoes. I originally thought I would just wrap up in the DN to get away from them but now I'm really starting to want the lightest possible bug net.

Anyway, I really would like to try out Fronkey's plan for a DIY net but I am unsure of where to (or if I even can) find the lightweight netting in stores. I would buy it online from some of these small retailers but I only have three days until I leave for the island, so I was hoping to find a quick fix.

If anyone has any ideas on either where I could find the material without having to order it, or any other alternative (temporary) options for bug protection on this trip, it would be greatly appreciated!

Also - thanks to all the regular posters who I have already learned so much from!

-Ethan

(Edit: Guess I could have posted this in the other forum, sorry. I'll learn!)
    Last edited by laneef; 05-03-2012 at 12:40.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    ****'s Sporting goods sells Coghlan's mosquito netting. If you do a search you will come up with a couple of threads on what others have done.

Some folks have also had success with Tulee fabric. You can pick this up from most fabric stores. The holes are not small enough to keep out no seeums, but I believe they are small enough to keep mosquitoes out.

I love my Fronkey inspired bugnet for my GTUL and for another hammock I made. Easiest sewing project I've ever done.

Good luck and report back what you come up with.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    DIY GT Treeslings
    I don't about local stores that carry it but you can order it here. Call them and see what they do about getting it to you in time.http://wildernesslogics.com/NETTING-NETTING.htm

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    If all else fails you can buy tulle fabric from a local store like Joanns. It is not as no see um proof or durable as actual bug netting but it should work for skeeters. It is dirt cheap too.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I made a tube with tulle. It worked fine for skeeters (the little critters can still make it in,) but be careful with it because it's pretty fragile. I didn't have any trouble sewing it, but it ripped at the seem (due to my rough handling) It will work as a quick temp solution (maybe longer if you handle it with kid gloves) I got mine at wallyworld for $.97 a yard.

Another option could be to get a bug screen canopy (I think they are about $10 at wallyworld) and cannibalize it.

Thanks for all of the quick responses. I'll go check the fabric stores and will definitely be ordering the better stuff online for a more permanent solution. I'll post some pics whenever I finish the net and also from the hanging on the trip. If you haven't been I strongly encourage you to check out Cumberland next time you're in the southeast.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    The HUG

Just a suggestion to toss in the wind.

good luck!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by laneef View Post
    Thanks for all of the quick responses. I'll go check the fabric stores and will definitely be ordering the better stuff online for a more permanent solution. I'll post some pics whenever I finish the net and also from the hanging on the trip. If you haven't been I strongly encourage you to check out Cumberland next time you're in the southeast.
    Organza has smaller holes and is more durable than tulle. It's going to be a bit more expensive, but many have switched over to organza. A lot of fabric stores also sell whats called fashion organza, it's even more durable than the standard organza...again with price increase though.

• + New Posts