Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdawg69 View Post
    Has anyone considered using these mini-spreaders on a hammock that you have "skins" on. All my hammocks are skinned out all the time for ease of storage and carry in the backpack . I'm thinking the mini bars are going to be somewhat problematic with the skins - unless they can be "de-coupled" rather easily. I'm planning on trying a couple different versions the next 2 days to see what happens. Any advice before I go in "whole hog" ?
    Interesting dilemma... . Maybe you could make a continuous loop of amsteel, then run the loop through your channel so that you had a loop of amsteel coming out of each end, then you could lark's head each loop onto your mini-spreader bar and remove when you broke down. Let us know what you figure out.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I dont see why the skins would interfer. Slide the dowel/spreader thru the small end of the skin when the hammock is ready to pack.

When setting up, slide the spreader and hammock all the way thru, so the skin is on the single line part of the suspension.

Unless your skins are really tight on the small end? Might need to customize the small end some?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Interesting dilemma... . Maybe you could make a continuous loop of amsteel, then run the loop through your channel so that you had a loop of amsteel coming out of each end, then you could lark's head each loop onto your mini-spreader bar and remove when you broke down. Let us know what you figure out.
    That is exactly what I plan to do as my Switchback has loops of amsteel on the ends. The only question now is what the effect on stability will be with the whoopies larks headed on the center. Not too good I think as I expect there to be some wobble with the spreader in place.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I dont see why the skins would interfer. Slide the dowel/spreader thru the small end of the skin when the hammock is ready to pack.

When setting up, slide the spreader and hammock all the way thru, so the skin is on the single line part of the suspension.

Unless your skins are really tight on the small end? Might need to customize the small end some?
    Figured I could do that, but it also puts hard points into the skins when packed. Might not be a problem. Will find out soon.
    Rockdawg69

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 & Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Here's what I don't get, why go so far as to clove hitch when you could just:

Use a dowel with groves
    Make a loop on either side of the amsteel and insert the dowel in between? The tension on both sides should keep them from slipping or trying to untwist.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    I haven't had to "pin" the fabric to the corners of the suspension yet, it seems to not gather too badly in the center. I think the secret may beto get the suspension fairly tight on the under side of the bar, where it passes thru the hammock channel. Not positive tho'.
    Fabric as tight against the bar is the correct answer. Tried several ways of running the channel and amsteel loops today and "discovered" your answer was correct. I think gmcttr's solution may be the best answer so far. Seems to be the only way to get the channel to stay spread out without sewing something else together, be it loops to channel or otherwise.

My amsteel loops are 12-inchers, neither holes in the bar or grooves with larks heads spread the fabric out. Too much length in the loops. Tried both 6-inch and 8-inch bars - same result, although the 8-inch was better. Shortening the loop length with an added wrap over the bar fixed the problem by tightening the channel closer to the bar, thereby keeping it spread out more. So anything that can keep the fabric channel "fixed" close to the bar appears workable.

Have not tried to answer my other concern about impact of having a spread bar and its affects on skins on the hammock. Trying later today after the 99 degree, 90% humidity drops a bit in the evening.
    Rockdawg69

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayDog View Post
    That appears to be square metal tubing that OD's stand is made from.

btw Pips, that was one mighty fine tablecloth hammock you made.
    Here is the link for my indoor stand Gray Dog. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=35273
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Had a little me time this morning and this is what I came up with on the mini spreaders on my fulltimer. The 3/4" dowels were shortened to 6" with 4" between the grooves. Two amsteels were made with loops on each end to feed thru the channels. Whoopies were made with a loop on one end which is attached to the dowel with overhand knots in the grooves. This allows the hammock to be removed from the suspension for laundering by loosing one loop and sliding the amsteel out of the channel.Initial test lays seem to be a better lay then my first version. Pip's I too had a time getting the tightened clove hitches loose so on this version just used overhand knots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post

Tried the skins with the spreader bar in place. Not a problem so far. I just have to realign the amsteel loops once the bar is free of the skins. Did not have to customize the skins. Turns out they were just right to keep everything tight at the suspension end.
    Rockdawg69

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Spent the first night in my final version and was amazed at the difference this mod makes to the hang of my hammock. Woke a couple of times this AM and couldn't make myself get up until around 9:00. Now to get started on my hiking hammock!

Thanks again Red.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast