Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Post to help me find the thread again. But also weight wise me and oldgringo have found a noticeable difference on a gtul even with a snap link/biner.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Point taken.
    OTOH, the UL is quite a bit larger than the Nano.

An interesting point about the newhanger method of attaching the spreader is that it is adjustable. The bar can be positioned anywhere on the "bridle". I hang the hammock, and give the bar a good tug until it fetches up against the hammock, and there's minimal curve, or arc, at the channel end. Others may want more arc, and that's easily obtained, too. This is genius.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by tbctx View Post
    Post to help me find the thread again. But also weight wise me and oldgringo have found a noticeable difference on a gtul even with a snap link/biner.
    That's true. The GTUL responds quite well to even a minimal relaxation of the gather.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Thats pretty slick RePete, the challenge (for me anyway) is to keep the suspension reasonably short, which is hard to do with burys everywhere, but this gives me some ideas. Thanks.
    Just did a quick measurement and an attempt at math. On my bridge hammock the spreader bars are 29" and the amsteel lines creating the triangle are 23.5" each. If my brain is working right then scaling the spreader bar down to 6" should make each amsteel line 4.86" ea. Adding 5 inches or less to each end of your hammock is not to bad. How long are most going with their triangles? If I ever get a dowel spreader built Ill have to test my splicing skills and try this out. I wish 7-11 still had the aluminum slurpee straws. I would be tempted to try this with one of those.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    In response to RePete's comment about the mini spreader bar suspension making the hammock longer: I think the actual hammock fabric can be made shorter, such that the total length is about the same.

I haven't made one of these (yet) so wait for a confirmation on that one. My hesitancy is based upon the fact that this mini spreader will add more weight than will be reduced by the shorter fabric - but I'm slowly caving in

Mike
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post

I haven't made one of these (yet) so wait for a confirmation on that one. My hesitancy is based upon the fact that this mini spreader will add more weight than will be reduced by the shorter fabric - but I'm slowly caving in

Mike
    Al or CF tent poles seem an obvious place to start. Just sayin'...
    Dave

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Mad777 I may have missed it but I dont think anyone has actually tested the theory that you can reduce your hammock length and keep the same lay. (or better) I am interested to see if anyone actually tries it. Its really sort of subjective. You would actually need to do it with a hammock you know the feel of well so you can make a good comparison. I dont think most people could build a 9 ft hammock put in mini spreaders and say it feels like an 11 ft hammock.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I don't view this mod as a way to make shorter hammocks, or make short hammocks feel like longer ones. What it does, is this: it minimizes or eliminates calf ridge, and in so doing, seems to free up a little bit more space for my feet.
    Dave

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RePete View Post
    Mad777 I may have missed it but I dont think anyone has actually tested the theory that you can reduce your hammock length and keep the same lay. (or better) I am interested to see if anyone actually tries it. Its really sort of subjective. You would actually need to do it with a hammock you know the feel of well so you can make a good comparison. I dont think most people could build a 9 ft hammock put in mini spreaders and say it feels like an 11 ft hammock.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I don't view this mod as a way to make shorter hammocks, or make short hammocks feel like longer ones. What it does, is this: it minimizes or eliminates calf ridge, and in so doing, seems to free up a little bit more space for my feet.
    Still, it's a tantalizing theory. It had occurred to me, too. The spreader bar in a bridge hammock is a way of shortening the infinitely long "triangle" (two parallel lines) to a finite delta. I suspect there are a lot of variables that affect the way the hammock feels, so I wouldn't chop off too much fabric, but I'd bet you could achieve the same feel in a hammock + triangle arrangement that was the same length or a few inches shorter. You could try a slightly longer spreader bar, but that's one of those variables.

I haven't followed this thread closely. Has anyone made the same modification at both ends of the hammock?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    ^^^Yes, several of them.
    Dave

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast