Page 34 of 60 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alrany187 View Post
    At present, I only have the one. OutdoorJunkie asked if it could be done with a whoopie sling and I had a down day at work and just came up with this. I did it to see if it was possible. The adjustable loop on this one is only 19".

However, if you are serious, I will make up another one and send them to you. All I ask is for 25' of 7/64" Amsteel. You have to understand that this was a prototype and I make no claims as to how pretty or how well they will hold.

Ellis
    I'll hold off till all the testing is done....

Hammock
    DIY w/ MSB, MMG Bivy Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    So if the piece that goes thru the channel is the ideal length to maintain tension(which likely would be shorter than the spreader bar)and it has a loop on each end, you would put one loop over and slide to the middle of the spreader bar giving you enough slack to get the other loop on, then spread them both out and they would stay spread by the tension on the triangle created in the suspension? Not sure if that makes sense?
    Basically, the same thing that we're trying to achieve by running the fixed loops through the holes and then over the ends. So, yes it should work.

Ellis

Hammock
    DIY w/ MSB, MMG Bivy Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Lately I've been playing with this. I would prefer a wood spreader bar but this was quicker and already lying around.
    I just took one line and put two fixed eyes in the ends then took two separate pieces of amsteel and inserted them thru the amsteel@ 90° to each other and 90° to the line they were inserted into.... clear as mud? Then tied a wall and crown knot the the pieces of amsteel sticking thru the suspension. I can install and remove the SB at will and it bears up against the knots to keep it from getting all kittywampus on me. The fabric still has a tendency to all want to go to one corner but it still seems to work.

Red, I notice that in your OP, you used PVC with connectors. Is there a reason why you went to straight PVC? I feel your method of connecting the ridge line to the spreader bar is the best method for this set up and believe that the 2 connectors in the center help keep the ridge line in place.

Ellis

Finally figured out what works for me.

Gathered head end and a 12" spreader at the foot end 10' long double 1 oz.

Might try a 9' setup to save some length.

My setup is a single line with double loop ends and feed through the the spacer and through hammock end in opposite directions and loop over the ends of the spacer.
    The spacer is 5/8" oak 14" long with holes drilled 1" from each end.

The loop was as tight as I could make it but it would still jump over the cord passing through. Right now I have a piece of alum tubing in the hole to stop the cord jump, but will go tomorrow and get two 3/16" x 3/4" pins.

Another issue is the fabric bunching up and or sliding to one side. If its perfectly centered it will not slide, but its fidgity and no matter what, where you first sit that area of cloth bunches up at the end.

Its not as bad with a 7" spacer. With the 7" spacer it never jumps over the end. so the 12" has a lot more lateral force, I am guessing.

Had a piece of pretty thick silicone tubing laying around from an old piece of exercise equipment. Cut it to 12" and threaded one of the loop end through that and set it up and perfect.

Its got enough traction that it holds the fabric in place and it does not bunch and does not slide.

Vinyl tubing would be lighter and it would also work, but probably not as slip resistant.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alrany187 View Post
    Red, I notice that in your OP, you used PVC with connectors. Is there a reason why you went to straight PVC? I feel your method of connecting the ridge line to the spreader bar is the best method for this set up and believe that the 2 connectors in the center help keep the ridge line in place.

Ellis
    I only switched b/c I misplaced the others. Surprisingly my RL didnt slip on this but if it were anything but a test I'd do something else.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Was laying in mine without the ridgeline in place and noticed that the mini-bars,MSB,were rotated in opposite directions. About 20 to 30 degrees from level. Attached the RL from the lower tip of one MSB to the lower tip of the other MSB. The RL is on a slight diagonal across the hammock but it pulled the MSB's level. Someone give it a try to see if you get the same effect.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    But...are level MSBs an issue???
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Images
    It just seems like there would be some minor "twisting" out of level just by laying diagonally? I'm with Gringo, is that an issue?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    None whatsoever, but it seems to keep the fabric from sliding to one side or the other.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I see, he said...
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 34 of 60 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast