Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Brute, after making several of these, in various configurations, I came to love Tim's big carabiner solution the best.
    I was just thinking the PVC and amsteel would pack easier... How much for the carabiners?
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I don't remember exactly...they weren't cheap. When I get on my laptop, I'll look it up.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I don't remember exactly...they weren't cheap. When I get on my laptop, I'll look it up.
    Thank you sir... I already have the amsteel and a bunch of PVC at the house...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

OG- What are the dimensions of this carabiner? Specifically, how wide is the end that will go through the gathered end of the hammock? Do you find this size of biner to be ideal, or would a larger one with more "spread" be better?

This seems to be the simplest solution to this problem so far. I have an REI near me, so I'm excited to try this on my hammocks and post some pics.

JGON

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Petzel makes an alloy D-ring that weigh's a little more than the climbing biners I stole from a buddy. One works well, but I'm waiting for the second to arrive. There is still a slight calf ridge but it's largely reduce. Must be a function of the foot box. I'll post pics when I get the second one.
    Last edited by HomeMadeHiker; 01-13-2013 at 15:08.
    Directionally challenged...comicly so.

Not all who wonder are lost...But I'm probably just lost.

Hammock
    DIY w/ MSB, MMG Bivy Hammock
    Tarp
    12x10 Ripstop DIY
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    Looking to add this to my grand trunk ultralight for a little added comfort... How wide would you guys say it should be between the holes...
    Well, I can say that if you are using an ENO bug net, that it will stretch to 5" across, so I wouldn't make my holes any further than that. I also have a Molly Mac bivy Hammock with an attached bug net that allows me to set the width at whatever I desire. Having said that, I found 5" to be completely satisfactory.

Hammock
    Grey Goose DIY
    Tarp
    JRB or AHE
    Insulation
    Top & under quilts
    Suspension
    Straps & woopies
    Part of advancing the knowledge is being open about things that were less than successful. I fell prey to chasing the weight genie on this one.

I had some 1/2 inch aluminum tubing around the house and tried to make a mini spreader bar. After cutting and drilling the bar weighed about one ounce. Recognizing that the holes could present sharp edges, I spent considerable time filing them to avoid them. I even tried heat shrink tubing to protect the amsteel. No luck. I think the tubing wall was just to thin to avoid cutting through the heat shrink. Haven't totally given up, but some more thought needs to go into how to avoid putting a knife against my suspension.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358258671.238810.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1358258686.408026.jpg
    To the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the optimist half full. To the engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

You basically need a long tubular grommet. I have never actually seen or used one just saying.

Not sure of the wall thickness of your tubing, but after trying some wood dowels, spreader bars have a lot of force on them. underneath.

The first ones I made were of 5/8" oak dowels 9" long and one dowel weighs 1oz.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by JGON View Post
    OG- What are the dimensions of this carabiner? Specifically, how wide is the end that will go through the gathered end of the hammock? Do you find this size of biner to be ideal, or would a larger one with more "spread" be better?

This seems to be the simplest solution to this problem so far. I have an REI near me, so I'm excited to try this on my hammocks and post some pics.

JGON
    Sorry, just now seeing this.

I don't have the biner in hand, but I'm guessing 2", maybe a little less. It's adequate for my GTUL, but was all jammed up when I tried it on an ENO DN.

Does size matter? I think so, at least, to a point. I'd like to try something bigger, just don't know what that "something" might be. The D ring HMH mentions sounds promising, but I don't understand how he's using it. Staying tuned...
    Dave

• + New Posts
  • Page 41 of 60 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast