Page 52 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UnoGear View Post
    Red I want to thank you and all the other contributors to this Thread it was only by reading it yes all 500 plus post that I figured out what was going on with my hammock suspension. It all had to do with the way I was using my continuous loops through my end channels. I was putting my loop through the end channel and then one side of the loop through the other and then connection the ring and whoopie to the remaining loop. By taking the loops coming out of both ends of the channel and putting them in a carabiner this distributed the load across the entire hammock not just down one side. Now that I have gotten rid of the ridging problem I don't feel the need for a MSB on the foot end of my hammock. I still plan on making a bigger continuous loop for the head end of my hammock(either OldGringo size rings or big enough to jam my ti cook pot in) to provide more room at my shoulders. I will let you know how it turns out,
    awesome Idea, I think I'll try this. I'm still going to mill my idea for mini spreaders but I may use that for a big non-carry build.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    after reading all the posts on this thread....it occurred to me that there may be a simpler way of getting a MSB into the suspension system without drilling or cutting the MSB material..but with sewing 2" polyester seatbelt webbing sections...... kind of like how many tents have that material sewn into "pockets" for the tent poles....well here is how I envisioned it, and a basic graphic...could also be used with the Tarp Tent Pole mod, by simply attaching a loop through the suspension tunnel to the tarp tie out and inserting tent pole into the adjacent sleeve/perpendicular sleeve, it's essentially a soft T joint made with 2" polyester webbing... have anyone tried this? I am thinking I will make 6-8 of them with the 2" black material I have, for MSBs and for tarp tent pole attachments... this would allow the user to change the size of the MSBs without cutting and drilling holes...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    It's worth a try. The MSB has a tendency to want to go askew so the challenge will be stopping these from sliding. Looking fwd to your results. Thanks for sharing.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    ...The MSB has a tendency to want to go askew so the challenge will be stopping these from sliding...
    This^^^

That's why all of the MSB designs have the ends fixed.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    well I was thinking of how someone on here had the suspension looped around the dogbone/bar rod itself, so that could be a way to stop the soft joint from sliding up or down? essentially making a sort of knot that holds the MSB soft endcap to the suspension point? or knotting a loop in the suspension line to hold the endcap.....

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Due to my general laziness I've just copied the following from another thread about the hammock, but here is how I did the MSB on it:
    Here's the photo of the rig. The suspension ring has attached to it two continuous loops that go thru each end of the MSB, thru the hammock and loop over the opposite end of the MSB. The suspension ring also has two UCR's that go down each side of the hammock to control the tension and amount of support the edges of the hammock receive. One end of one side of the hammock has a bungee on it, but I may put the bungee on both sides for a little more give in the shoulder area. This was a VERY comfortable lay. Looks like a lot to fiddle with but it wasn't too bad.

Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY dbl layer with pad pockets
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly Rain T
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Latest MSB mods

Decided to finally work on the MSB idea I had with the continuous loops and rings. Actually it was OldGringo who got me thinking about this. So decided to go Bigger and see the results. I could not decided what size CL to make so did the next best thing combined and 8"and a 3" to start. Took a 4" Diameter tomato can and placed it in the loop.

I placed the loop as close to the unopened can as possible. The forces were so extreme they deformed the can. It did provide relief from shoulder crowding.
    At this point I did not think it wise to stuff my Ti cook pot in the loop so started looking for another alternative. A quick trip to Hardware Store to pick up a 4" PVC coupler was in order. The coupler actually had a 6" OD so it would not fit in the current continuous loop config. So I added a second 3" CL.

This configuration provided the most comfort and minimized shoulder crowding the most. The coupler had a tendency to want to slide through the loop when it was unloaded. As soon as you put a load on it it stayed put.
    I spent the night in the hammock and was quite comfortable and in the morning the coupler had not moved a bit.
    As is the coupler weights 13oz so the comfort to weight ratio too high to just throw in your pack and take off down the trail.
    Next plan is to see how much weight I can take off the coupler. I will start by removing 7/8" from each side of the coupler then drill a series of holes around each edge to lighten it up as much as I can. More to follow.
    "I'm tired of runnin' 'round lookin' for answers to questions that I already know." Blaze Foley

Free GPX Files NPT Southern Adirondacks

YouTube Videos

Hammock
    DIY dbl layer with pad pockets
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly Rain T
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Twisting and Fabric movement

There does not seem to be any tendency to want to twist. The fabric will settle around the diameter of coupler but when fully settled the spread is still quite impressive. Because of the knots in the CL's you need to make sure the material is evenly dispersed around the coupler. When all is said and down I may measure the length and make a new one piece CL
    "I'm tired of runnin' 'round lookin' for answers to questions that I already know." Blaze Foley

Free GPX Files NPT Southern Adirondacks

YouTube Videos

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Nice UNO. Attach a bag into the pipe for a storage area.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by UnoGear View Post
    ... So I added a second 3" CL.

All I could think of when I saw this was "how could one add gutters to the tarp and use this as a downspout" sorry.. no offense, just got a chuckle out of it

• + New Posts
  • Page 52 of 60 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast