DIY dbl layer with pad pockets
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly Rain T
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Now why would you want to add a gutter to a perfectly good flower pot holder?
    "I'm tired of runnin' 'round lookin' for answers to questions that I already know." Blaze Foley

Free GPX Files NPT Southern Adirondacks

YouTube Videos

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    here's the end results of my soft MSB pockets; I wasn't sure if I needed to keep tension between the ends so as not to slip off; but so far they're holding up pretty good...each is made from 10" of 2" wide nylon webbing.
    for those who thought they would go askew; I locked them in place by looping the suspension webbing around the end channels so as to basically tie them off in place.

the next set will have shock cord mounts so that the tension can be maintained between the ends

Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly Rain T
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nice just goes to show there is more than one way to skin a cat.
    "I'm tired of runnin' 'round lookin' for answers to questions that I already know." Blaze Foley

YouTube Videos

Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly Rain T
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

My final MSB mod

Here is a look at the final mods I made to my MSB made it considerably smaller and reduced the weight from 13 oz to 6 oz and you could probably make it even lighter. For now it is light enough for me to carry on some trips when I get back to my workshop in NY i might hack on it some more.
    I am going to spend more time in the hammock with and without the MSB. I left the continuous loops in the end channel so I can switch to with or without very quickly. I am pretty sure it provides more shoulder room but not sure if it might be causing other problems like ridges again only more testing will tell.

Last edited by UnoGear; 01-13-2014 at 18:17. Reason: Forgot pictures

YouTube Videos

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie82 View Post
    here's the end results of my soft MSB pockets; I wasn't sure if I needed to keep tension between the ends so as not to slip off; but so far they're holding up pretty good...each is made from 10" of 2" wide nylon webbing.
    for those who thought they would go askew; I locked them in place by looping the suspension webbing around the end channels so as to basically tie them off in place.

the next set will have shock cord mounts so that the tension can be maintained between the ends
    Looks good, the all webbing suspension was unexpected, but looks like its working well for you. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by UnoGear View Post
    Here is a look at the final mods I made to my MSB made it considerably smaller and reduced the weight from 13 oz to 6 oz and you could probably make it even lighter. For now it is light enough for me to carry on some trips when I get back to my workshop in NY i might hack on it some more.
    I am going to spend more time in the hammock with and without the MSB. I left the continuous loops in the end channel so I can switch to with or without very quickly. I am pretty sure it provides more shoulder room but not sure if it might be causing other problems like ridges again only more testing will tell.
    Cool Uno, holes drilled for weigh savings I presume? Have you solved the falling out when not in the hammock issue?
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly Rain T
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think now that the weight is reduced it stays in place just fine have left it in the hammock all day and have not had it fall out. I have gotten into the habit of checking the suspension on both ends before climbing in for the night. Just to make sure every thing is centered and in order.

YouTube Videos

Hammock
    The Susurro Canyon (DIY)
    Tarp
    1.1oz SilPolyD Hex
    Insulation
    FoyleUQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

Late in the game?

I admittedly did not read every post of this massive thread, and I also have not attempted the mod, so if my comment/question is totally off track, just refer me to the page I should have read. I am totally interested in getting a better nights sleep, so my ears and mind are open.

As I looked at pics of the mini-bar, I began to notice that it forms an isosceles triangle pointing toward the support tree. This made me wonder if the spreader was acting as a hammock extension.

If an unmanned gathered-end hammock was divided into two equal parts perpendicular to the ridge-line, it would form an isosceles triangle. By adding the oh-so-elegant mini bar, isn't the result an isosceles triangle with two of the legs extended? I honestly don't know, but just based on observations, it looks that way. So my main question is:

Would a longer hammock produce the same results as using a mini-bar?
    Leonard Outdoors Youtube.com/drleonar

Hammock
    Hammock Universe Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 70D
    Insulation
    EE RevalatonX 20
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    you are possibly correct (logically, I can't find any fault with your thinking) - but this way you can hang between 2 points closert together
    Qualified to do almost anything with almost nothing. Ask me how!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    I am a huge fan of what the mini-spreader bars does for comfort. I have even contemplated adding them to my xlc. All the hammocks I make now include the mini-bars and have posted them on this thread. Recently I've wanted to make a navy hammock but didn't want to loose the principle feature of the mini-bar: the curve. I decided to create the jig for the rope ends to have a curve that mimicked the curve of the mini-bar. I didn't have enough amsteel to post a picture of a finished end, but once I do I'll post the pictures. What's his face from, "The Ultimate Hang," made the rope ends from lash it and he reported that each end was 3 oz. I'm not sure if that included the descender ring he used.
    I know I'm taking the mini-bar out and that technically it is no longer a mini-bar hammock, but I thought it would be of interest for this thread.

I hope this turns out well. One thing I would like to do is compare a traditional navy hammock to what I'll be making but I don't own or know anyone with a navy hammock. If anyone in the Portland area wants to do a "show and share" I'll be happy to come over and we can compare!

image by pappy2012, on Flickr

I'm going to clamp the jig to a table so I can easily pack the jig away in a small area.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Played a little with my set-up, works but kind of ugly.

Aluminium rod with a small plastic ring from a hydration bladder tube.

Heat shrink added to hold rubber ring in place and provide extra friction the rope knotted on.

All set.

• + New Posts
  • Page 53 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast