WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

stitching stress

I apologize if this was answered in the middle of the thread but I couldn't bring myself to read all 54 pages. The first thing I noticed was using the mini-spreader it looks like the channel stitching is taking all the force. Also, in the pictures, it seems the DIY stitching, often four lines at the channel, is much beefier than an off-the-shelf. In other words, it can take it.

I'm wondering if an ENO single would be a candidate for this mod. My concern is, the channel looks like it was designed to be gathered and held with line (I've upgraded the original with AmSteel). But the stress is taken by the AmSteel larks headed around the gathered bundle, not the stitching in the channel.

Does the mini-spreader change that dynamic and put the stress directly on the stitching?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    The stitching should have an excess of strength. Here's a link to some very unscientific testing I did on thread/stitch strength that will give you some idea of the strengths involved.

Hammock
    13 x 9 diy tcf dbl
    Tarp
    12' diy with doors
    Insulation
    diy down bag conv
    Suspension
    2" straps

How about just not cinching up the end?

How would this work if you just didnt cinch up the end once you put the cord or whatever through the end channel? I realize the mini bar is there for a reason but Im just curious has anyone tried just using a loose type suspension in the end channel? Im guessing that as soon as weight is put on it without the spreader bar everything would just bunch up??

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    how did I ever miss this post?

yes, I have read all 55 pages.
    Must work on...
    Last edited by Dos; 02-03-2014 at 22:30.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsig11010 View Post
    How would this work if you just didnt cinch up the end once you put the cord or whatever through the end channel? I realize the mini bar is there for a reason but Im just curious has anyone tried just using a loose type suspension in the end channel? Im guessing that as soon as weight is put on it without the spreader bar everything would just bunch up??
    Correct......
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    I am a huge fan of the mini-bar and I'm not talking about the spirits filled fridge in hotels. I've made many 11' hammocks with mini-bars for friends and myself. Especially when using wood, they have a aesthetic quality that a regular gathered end hammocks don't have. That is, of course, secondary to it's primary purpose of making the hammock amazingly comfortable. Until recently, it has been the best way to open up the hammock body and alleviate most of the pesky issues with GE's.
    I recently made an adaptation of the naval hammock that provided even more comfort than the mini-bar. The clews helped the hammock body open up even more thus providing more comfort. Further benefit is the removal of less packable mini-bar. I have just started to explore what can be accomplished with clews and how they can impact comfort, a hammock body size, and weight. Beyond this one post, unless questions are asked, I won't be posting about hammocks with clews on this thread as it is about mini-bars and I still do love the mini-bar.

I have to give a big thank you to Derek Hansen and his tutorial on the naval hammock that inspired me to explore the amazing potential of clews.

Here are some photos of the hammock in action and at the bottom is a link to the post where I talk about about the hammock in more detail.

The way the clew works really does help the ropes to not tangle easily. To further stop, and most likely alleviate, ropes from becoming tangled is to attach one piece of no-see-um netting between each nettle. Each nettle consists of two strands, a top and bottom, and I imagine if each side is separated then ropes tangling wouldn't be an issue.

Picture0309142240_1 by bohlmann.eric, on Flickr

Head end of the hammock while laying in it:

Picture0309142239_1 by bohlmann.eric, on Flickr

A closer look at how the clew attaches to the red amsteel rope:

Picture0309142241_1 by bohlmann.eric, on Flickr

One thing unique, at least from my limited research on the internet, that I did was lock the end nettles to the rope so it wouldn't be pulled out of one of the other holes or loose the tension needed at the edges of the hammock. There is a locked brummel that attaches to a knot further down the red rope an makes loop that locks the clew to the ropes end. This is what makes it possible to use a lightweight rope instead of the bigger and heavier ropes used in true naval hammocks. Hers's a picture of it in action:

Picture0309142242_1 by bohlmann.eric, on Flickr

Now back to our regular broadcast.

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    My new DIY gathered-end hammock with the knotty mod feels great...really like the way the adjustable bungies form a footbox. But there was a little calf ridge pressure before making the mod ....so I decided to employ the mini-spreader bar idea shown from UnoGear. I changed it up a little and tested this afternoon. There was a difference. Now I still haven't slept in the hammock....so it may have been fine as is and I may have gotten used to it...but I thought I would try this tip. I took a PVC coupling and cut about a half inch from either end and glued it to the short piece of pvc pipe. Having that 'channel' between the two ends sorta holds things in place. Still in test stage....but thought I'd report....
    Pictures to follow when I have access to hi-speed internet.
    head_close.jpghead_close_3.jpghead_close_use.jpghead_use.jpglay.jpg
    For test purposes I ran some tape along the formed channel to prevent chafing along the edges of the ripstop.
    Last edited by wa4chq; 03-27-2014 at 07:28. Reason: typos
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Whew! I read all 55 pages too. Can't wait to give this a shot. I'm gonna try the wood bar with double loops on my Youkon outfitters woot special. Will report when I get it all together. Thanks to all of you for sharing your ideas.
    Joe

Hi I found by letting the spreading ends swivel you can decrease the length of the hammock here's one I made for the back of my van ,distance between hanging points is just under 8 footDSC_0617.jpg the more i lay across the more the end swival IMG_20140408_204647.jpgDSC_0619.jpg

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markouk View Post
    Hi I found by letting the spreading ends swivel you can decrease the length of the hammock here's one I made for the back of my van ,distance between hanging points is just under 8 footDSC_0617.jpg the more i lay across the more the end swival IMG_20140408_204647.jpgDSC_0619.jpg
    Really elegant and well thought out setup.

• + New Posts
  • Page 55 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast