DangerBird or Lefty 1.7 BB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    JRB's MW3, RMNS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Yeah O&B that was/is the fire. It came within 300yds. of my house, but unlike 225 others, we were very fortunate and were able to return to our home at the end of last week. Although it is still burning my favorite hangout,the White Mtn. Wilderness, it is fairly contained at the point in time.
    Do you imagine the universe is agitated?
    Go into the desert at night and look out at the stars,
    This practice should answer the question... Lao Tzu

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Taozenqi View Post
    Yeah O&B that was/is the fire. It came within 300yds. of my house, but unlike 225 others, we were very fortunate and were able to return to our home at the end of last week. Although it is still burning my favorite hangout,the White Mtn. Wilderness, it is fairly contained at the point in time.
    Wow close call. I'm glad to hear the fire have died down and you are safe.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 06-21-2012 at 21:27.

Images
    Man I am so behind schedule. I haven't even picked up my fishing licence yet.
    I think I'll spend this weekend locating all my car camping gear and fishing equipment.

I did fuel up my MSR white gas stove and tested it so I can still have morning coffee in the hammock.

I'm pretty sure the state wide fire ban will still be in effect so bring your dancing shoes for a little evening entertainment at the micro brews in Nederland Friday and Sat evening.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't know if those hiking the North Loop will have an opportunity for fishing or not, but I thought I'd bring a collapsible rod and small reel just in case. I assume there will be some place in town to buy a license if need be.

As for camp stoves, I guess you are saying that using my Caldera Cone this year is out. So I guess I'll fall back to my Jetboil for this trip.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trailryder42 View Post
    I don't know if those hiking the North Loop will have an opportunity for fishing or not, but I thought I'd bring a collapsible rod and small reel just in case. I assume there will be some place in town to buy a license if need be.

As for camp stoves, I guess you are saying that using my Caldera Cone this year is out. So I guess I'll fall back to my Jetboil for this trip.
    I am not sure about fishing on the North Loop. If you guys are camping near a lake there is a good chance it will have fish.

As for Colorado fishing licenses I believe you can get them online. see link
    I am not sure if one can be bought in Nederland.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Fishing/Pages/Fishing.aspx

On a typical Colorado summer, with a fire ban in place, I would still use my alky stove in a well prepped area however this has not been a typical summer. It is extra dry and with the big fire West of Ft Collins the rangers are extra jumpy. I plan to use stoves with shutoff valves just to avoid any hassle.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    in an interesting twist, MrsMustardman and I sold off any stove we owned that had a shutoff valve, because we vastly preferred our alky or wood-burning stoves.

Any thoughts on what the rangers would say to a Sterno fuel can being used on a picnic table? We've done that before with the Caldera Cone with great results.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    in an interesting twist, MrsMustardman and I sold off any stove we owned that had a shutoff valve, because we vastly preferred our alky or wood-burning stoves.

Any thoughts on what the rangers would say to a Sterno fuel can being used on a picnic table? We've done that before with the Caldera Cone with great results.
    I don't believe the camp host at Kelly Dahl will care what type of stove is used on the camp fire ring grate or picnic table. Except wood burners.

I will have a two burner white gas coleman stove setup on a picnic table. You guys are welcome to use it as much as you like.
    It will also be setup at Left hand res as well in hopes of cooking some trout.

Images
    HOT HOT HOT

Saturday my digital temp gauge on the back porch read 104F in the shade and today it read 102F.
    I just replaced my swamp cooler pads and the best that thing will do is 85F in the house.
    I'm setting here in my boxer with a wet towel draped on my shoulders dreaming of getting up to 10,000ft where we should have 70 degree days and 50 degree nights.

I am so ready for this summer hang I can't stand it.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    HOT HOT HOT

I'm setting here in my boxer with a wet towel draped on my shoulders
    Hot is right. The image of that in my mind is searing the backs of my eyeballs.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great job on the details, O&B! Looking more likely that I'll be able to make it, assuming my house isn't burned to ashes.

Not actually in any danger at the moment, but there are fires on all sides of me. The Elbert fire is mostly contained and hopefully they'll stop the Trout Creek one before it gets too big. That's not even counting Springer and Canyon City, which are contained, but Waldo Canyon is still 0%. I had (a tiny bit of) ash falling on me last night all the way up in Monument. They did just lift the mandatory evacuation for Manitou Springs.

I dropped off some donations for the Humane Society workers today and that took us pretty close to the fire...amazing that they've kept it away from the houses because it was right on top of them. Right now I can't even see the smoke rising, though...just haze as far as I can see in both directions on the Front Range. Crazy, since it's still 0% contained.

So I'd be shocked if a Ranger saw someone using a woodstove and didn't get upset. I like the BushBuddy but I'll have the JetBoil if I make it on this trip.

Hopefully I'll see y'all there!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast