Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies

Top Quilt for hanging AND ground-dwelling, question.

Hello folks,

I've been very happy with my Climashield Apex TQ/UQ set up. However, I recently went on a trip and decided to go to ground just so that I could share the dwelling with a female companion.

Long story short, my TQ didn't perform nearly as well on the ground as it's done on my hammock. The problem is the cold drafts on the sides when I turn to sleep sideways (in addition to the TQ I was using a bag liner as well). It seems like the only way to NOT experience these cold drafts is to sleep belly up like a mummy and not move all night so that your back is all in contact with the pad. That's out of the question for me. I need to be able to turn left and right.

So, I wanted to ask all of you fine forum members, is there a way to solve this issue, short of getting a conventional sleeping bag?

Thank you all so very much,

R

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I went to ground one night recently with my HG top quilt and didn't have any problems like that. Do you have a cinch cord top that hooks around your neck? Also, could it have been because you were in a snuggle puddle with your lady?

One thing I did noticed that if I wanted to re-position myself I had to pay attention and move the quilt with me as apposed to when I'm home I just plop.

Fornkey

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Does your TQ have a neck snap or other neck closure? Does it have a draw cord or the ability to cinch up around your neck? I have found that using my neck snap and draw cord to cinch my TQ tight around my neck and shoulders has helped prevent some of the drafts when I use it on a pad in a tent. Not perfect, but better.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Top quilts for ground need to be wider than for hammocks. The ground doesn't wrap up around you like the hammock does.

You can sew 10" draft skirts on the side I'd your quilt. They don't provide insulation. It if you tuck them under you, they will stop the drafts.

Also pay attention to the above posts concerning the neck area.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    I think some backpackers make there top Quilts attach to there sleeping pad..
    Might not be hard to make a couple mods...
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Thank you all for your answers. My TQ is a Mountain Laurel Designs, Spirit Quilt. http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...roducts_id=133

I have the impression that they cater to ground dwellers more than to hammockers, and I suppose that if the user stays in the mummy position all night, the TQ performs beautifully.

But to be honest, the feeling I had in that tent with those cold drafts coming in was "the heck with this, I'll just get a bag next time I use a tent". But of course on second thought, I don't want to spend all that money in yet another piece of gear, especially when I spend 95% of my outdoor nights in a hammock. And, there is always that tendency we have to try to make the best of things with the tools we have.

So, I'll keep looking. Thank you much for the help,

R

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    From what I'm gathering you wouldn't have been on the ground if not for the company of your lady friend. So, you can either encourage her to become more comfortable with the hammock or you can get a quilt just for those trips where the 2 of you are on the ground together. Either choice is probably going to require more gear. Which one is the most cost effective? - I'll leave that to you.

The dimensions on that Spirit quilt are kinda funky compared to hammock specific quilts. IDK what to make of it.

FYI: Jacksrbetter makes double quilts just for couples, mainly I think, on the ground.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktreks View Post
    Hello folks,

I've been very happy with my Climashield Apex TQ/UQ set up. However, I recently went on a trip and decided to go to ground just so that I could share the dwelling with a female companion.

Long story short, my TQ didn't perform nearly as well on the ground as it's done on my hammock. The problem is the cold drafts on the sides when I turn to sleep sideways (in addition to the TQ I was using a bag liner as well). It seems like the only way to NOT experience these cold drafts is to sleep belly up like a mummy and not move all night so that your back is all in contact with the pad. That's out of the question for me. I need to be able to turn left and right.

So, I wanted to ask all of you fine forum members, is there a way to solve this issue, short of getting a conventional sleeping bag?

Thank you all so very much,

R
    Need to make sure your TQ has enough coverage by doing some backyard testing before heading out into backcountry. I like the JRB Sierra Sniveller for both ground and hammock TQ use. I've added some cords that go under my pad and that I can use to cinch down the sides to reduce air infiltration when on ground. Also I find that cinching the top of the TQ around my neck helps the whole thing drape better and reduce air infiltration even without the cinch cords.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    From what I'm gathering you wouldn't have been on the ground if not for the company of your lady friend. So, you can either encourage her to become more comfortable with the hammock or you can get a quilt just for those trips where the 2 of you are on the ground together. Either choice is probably going to require more gear. Which one is the most cost effective? - I'll leave that to you.
    Or you could get her hanging. just sayin... Two hammocks, one tarp. It just sounds romantical, doesn't it?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you look at the GoLite TQs, you'll notice that they have a couple of straps that are attached to the TQ. They are designed to go around your pad when you're sleeping on the ground - it holds the TQ in place on the pad & it tucks in the edges. I have a couple of them. They are very similar to my HG Burrow; however, they have the removable straps for use on the ground.

http://www.golite.com/UltraLite-800-...ar-P46821.aspx

• + New Posts