DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings

It takes a week to make a Hammock

At least it did this time. That's how long it took for the the Tableclothsfactory to send me my new hammock.

Last week I was asking about making a wider hammock. I'm a big boy but I've also read that wider is more comfortable, allows more angled for sleeping. DOES IT EVER! And in the middle of reading what kind of seem to use to put panels onto the 60 inch wide fabric from Hancocks member Vissarian pm'd me with the link to the Tableclothsfactories 90x132 tablecloth page. Well heck, the darn things are already seemed and come in a bunch of different colors. The crinkled Taffeta feels to be the same or a little heavier then the parachute fabric I have from Hancocks. Then again, it's getting close to a year and a half of sleeping on it, might be getting a tad thin.

So I ordered a Red one to match the faded one that I have been using and when I came home today, there was a box on my doorstep.

YAY my Tablecloth was here. So it was right on up to my room to find a little Walmart red cord and some quick whipping of both ends.

132 inchs? Why, I think my old hammock is a 132 inches. Well, maybe it's a little shorter and if I had made my whoopie sling correctly, it would be adjusted just right. presently it's a tad low.

But 5 minutes of whipping and a couple minutes of swapping out the slings and BAM I'm hanging in my new bed.

I can't begin to find the center of this thing and I'm beginning to think I can dang near lay 90 degrees on it, I am only 74 inches long. I hit my aquarium stand before I run out of room. Who would have thunk the limiting factor would be my side to side clearance?

So maybe there's too much fabric? I don't think so because now when the nites finally cool down and I don't want some breeze blowing on me, a shift of the legs gives me a little blanket to throw over the legs.

I can hide in this thing like my Grand-daughter hides in my old one. EXCELLENT.

So, I'm going to make up another couple of whoopies and links so I can center this new hammock better and hang my old one on my hammock stand in the back yard, OR get some longer whoopies and have a netless hammock to take with me.

OH I'm as happy as any other guy that just increased his hammock capacity. Even have a stuff sack to stick my old one in thanks to the Christmas Exchange.

Thanks Vissarian for the link. Total cost to my house was 24 bucks. Cheaper then the fabric, thread and needles I bought last January when I made my first Hammock.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    If you think about it, the intent of a diagonal lay is to get flatter... a 90-degree lay is 100% flat... and as close to a bridge hammock as you can get with a gathered end...

Heck, you could hang it from a single vertical point....

Very cool!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I've made a gathered channel end hammock in under 1 hour. One of Gear vids documents it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    ....you gave away the big secret of some of the cottage crowd I've been holding it under wraps for awhile now, except for a few of my friends here and there.

Well, cats out of the bag. That is what my pink one is made of. I got the 90 x 196 though, lashed it in at just under 12 feet...may go a bit more. It's really, really nice, super comfortable, and great that all the seams are already sewn and it's just a matter of waiting for the delivery then lashing it.

I love that you went bold red!!! Just absolutely gorgeous!!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Oh, I didn't know.

And actually, if you try to lay 90 degrees it actually is worse then laying with the ridgeline as The sides hold tight while the center sags low. I was kinda exagerating. But I can get pretty wide, problem is I can't get a decent photo.

But think of a piece of paper, if you lay 90 degrees on that it is flat. But now gather the paper at the ends and hold them there and try laying a pencil across it, you'll see that it lays on the edges and the center hangs low.

I was exuberant.

Sorry about anybody that was offering a sleep system including straps, ridgeline and suspension. Remember, if you buy one complete you're sourcing a whole bunch of stuff that I already have. If someone does it for you YOU have no worries and they make a slight profit. To be worthwhile in the business models I heard on the radio you should at least cover 200% of material and labor or it's not worth doing. I'll bet they're barely making do.
    Last edited by MrClean417; 05-04-2012 at 18:13.

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer or Single Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great idea, thanks for sharing!

That's awesome. I have a question about the red. On the site it looks like its a dark red for the tablecloths and the other stuff looks bright red. Your picture looks bright red. What red is it?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Red

By the way, don't need a wide one, how about the standard 60"

By the way, chair covers don't look classy to me, they look like they're in a haunted/abandoned house. Must be my Abbot and Costello showing through.

I rolled mine up and stored it like I usually do. This thing is quite a bit heavier then the Hancock ripstop even accounting for the extra fabric. Wish I would have weighed it now though no gram weenie is going close to this stuff for hiking. I'll see how long this lasts.

That's what I figured. I may get one anyway for that price.
    Great show. I hate chair covers too

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    That hammock's the bomb, Mr. C! Thanks for sharing your source. You really can't beat the price or the convenience!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast