View Poll Results: Is it a good idea to add feedback section to marketplace?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO - bad idea for this forum

41 73.21%
  • Yes - good idea

10 17.86%
  • Maybe - make some additions/subtractions to idea

5 8.93%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB BlackBird DL 1.1, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup

For Sale Feedback section

Fairly new here but read that post in the for sale forum about not having a place to post feedback. Most forums I frequent usually have a separate section for either positive, negative and normally both feedback sections.
    One forum I do frequent has the best idea, I think, on this. Within the Positive Feedback Section you would add a +1 for (member who sold or bought the item). Every month or so a mod would go through them and add them to a list that only mods can edit. Basically it would look like this:

1. Under Marketplace you would have a Feedback section under For Sale/Wanted

2. Under Feedback you would have Positive Feedback/Negative Feedback/Member List

3. Positive Feedback is where I would add a +1 for whoever either bought my item or who I bought from after they shipped and I received the item.

4. Negative Feedback is where you would post concerns about certain transactions and mods use this to keep track of bad/mis-communicated transactions.

5. Member List section is where the mods once a month goes thru the positive and negative feedback(after the negative post is finalized) and adds the members name (in alphabetical order) and totals his/her neg/pos.
    member1 +5
    member2 +2
    member3 +10
    member4 +6 -1 (here you would add post number from negative section for reference)
    member5 +14
    and so forth

Was wondering what everyone thinks of this? This would give everyone an idea on who is good to deal with without asking. You just go into the member section and look up their name and how many pos/neg feedback at one glance.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Personally... I think our mods are overworked as it is. This ain't E-Bay. I don't see the need. If this was a site for actually doing business it might make sense. But my understanding is the "For Sale" and "Wanted to Buy" are for the convenience of casual buyers and sellers not businesses. If there gets to be too many problems with bad deals my vote would be to close the subforums and let things happen at the group hangs.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 05-05-2012 at 13:54.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    i voted "no" for the following reasons

everyone i've dealt with on this forum either selling or buying from has been great to deal with and very honest and upstanding imo

the mods on the forum do a great job and i think if there is some sort of dispute it's better for them to handle it behind the scenes than having something posted publicly which may really cause some hard feeling if a person see's a "negative" posted by their name and is being talked about in a negative way

i guess i've felt very comfortable buying from everyone that i have on the forum, if i didn't i wouldn't of bought from them, pretty easy to get a feel for people if you just go back a read a few of their posts

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    This is a generally speaking, close knit community. Not an wide open ebay population.
    Selling mostly consists ones excess gear to a newer enthusiast who is still building their kit.
    Newcomers are already restricted from selling until a certain number of posts are passed. That give us a chance to get to know the newer folks. But in all things in life, buyer beware and use some common sense. I think we are just fine with the existing system.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    As Boothill says, most problems can be solved behind the scenes without a formal public calling out. Folks who are habitual rule breakers or who have exhibited in some way, shape, form or fashion that they just cannot abide by the posted rules and customs are simply removed from Marketplace forum access. I would recommend sending a PM to a moderator (any of them) if you are having a difficulty with a sale, and we will go one step at a time from there.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB BlackBird DL 1.1, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup
    Like I said its just an idea, but usually a site gets bigger as time goes on. Seen it too many times in different forums (of course for different hobbies). Just think how many members get added every month? I dont see at all having too many bad transactions within this site but good idea to be a newbie and see at a glance who is "good to go".

Edit: Thanks guys for your comments and like said above was just an idea to the poster who inquired about a feedback section.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by camoxjeep View Post
    Fairly new here

Any thoughts or ideas?
    First off, welcome to HF. This place certainly is growing yet at the same time it is a unique community of folks. It thrives on ideas, suggestions, input from different perspectives and the kind of positive conversation one might have around a campfire. Thank you for the post and kicking off this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Personally... I think our mods are overworked as it is. If this was a site for actually doing business it might make sense. But my understanding is the "For Sale" and "Wanted to Buy" are for the convenience of casual buyers and sellers not businesses. If there gets to be too many problems with bad deals my vote would be to close the subforums and let things happen at the group hangs.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    everyone i've dealt with on this forum either selling or buying from has been great to deal with and very honest and upstanding imo

the mods on the forum do a great job and i think if there is some sort of dispute it's better for them to handle it behind the scenes

i guess i've felt very comfortable buying from everyone that i have on the forum, if i didn't i wouldn't of bought from them, pretty easy to get a feel for people if you just go back a read a few of their posts

boot
    +1 on this comment too

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    This is a generally speaking, close knit community. Not an wide open ebay population.
    Selling mostly consists ones excess gear to a newer enthusiast who is still building their kit.
    Newcomers are already restricted from selling until a certain number of posts are passed. That give us a chance to get to know the newer folks. But in all things in life, buyer beware and use some common sense. I think we are just fine with the existing system.
    +1 again

My only thought here is that prior to having buy/sell privileges that in addition to the restricted number of posts, there may be a value in a "sign off" on the rules for selling and buying. I get more frustrated from folks asking to sell but take pmt as a "gift" to rip off a few bucks from the service PayPal is providing; arguments over "dibs"; or comments from price police than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    As Boothill says, most problems can be solved behind the scenes without a formal public calling out. Folks who are habitual rule breakers or who have exhibited in some way, shape, form or fashion that they just cannot abide by the posted rules and customs are simply removed from Marketplace forum access. I would recommend sending a PM to a moderator (any of them) if you are having a difficulty with a sale, and we will go one step at a time from there.
    Over the years and as recently as this week, I have purchased and sold excess, gently used gear and never had anything but a positive experience. I can't add much to the above comments other than to suggest we all play nice, treat one another as we would want to be treated, and if we have a problem, deal with it like adults. Deal directly with the person with whom the problem is, and if that does not work then enlist the support of the mods.

Again, welcome aboard. Keep asking questions and making suggestions and I hope you come to find this place as comfortable a place as many of the rest of us do.

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Id be against. I like the community feel. And agree with many of the above responses.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I appreciate your intentions - but I don't think we need it.

This community has trust as part of its foundation and until we get enough problems to change my mind I want to keep it simple.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I voted no and agree with the many statements made above. Our mods do a great job and Ive j
    had an easier time selling and buying gear off of HF then I personally ever had with ebay. Before I purchase an item ill check post count and read through the sellers post to try and get a feel for their commitment to HF. Yes their iz always going to be a sour apple in the bunch but I have always had an easy time buyi.g and selling used gear here on this forum. I think an opportunity to call people out would not be beneficial to this forum. jmho.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast