Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    I have the amsteel 7/64 that Coffee uses and I have had no success with the garda hitch. I have some covered in paracord sheath (PIA not worth the time) that worked and I got some 2.8 spyderwire that works great. The amsteel would flatten out without the sheath and slip. It would look like flat webbing after being in the rings.
    I just got some amsteel, and your right - its the first cord I've ran upon that won't hold with the garda hitch at all. Its so slippery! What I ended up doing that seems to work, is using the munter mule
    http://www.animatedknots.com/munterm...mage=&Website=
    this works! There is a little slip as the munter knot turns over but the amsteel line is so small that the slip is almost not noticeable. And it unties easily if you use a slip knot.

This Amsteel is stronger, lighter ( and softer - not sure why that would matter?) and with the munter mule I only need one ring!

There is someone else on here that uses the Garda Hitch (can't remember who), anyway whoever you are - check out the munter mule - only need one ring and it seems to work ok on slippery lines.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I just got some amsteel, and your right - its the first cord I've ran upon that won't hold with the garda hitch at all. Its so slippery! What I ended up doing that seems to work, is using the munter mule
    http://www.animatedknots.com/munterm...mage=&Website=
    this works! There is a little slip as the munter knot turns over but the amsteel line is so small that the slip is almost not noticeable. And it unties easily if you use a slip knot.
    I had tried that before but not like the example on the bottom of your link. Seems that small line needs to be wrapped around the ring a few times then go to the slip knots. Thanks for the link I am going to try it tonight.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Note that its not just wrapped, the munter knot can be used for rapelling/belaying if you lose your rapel/belay device. When its tied correctly, it flips back and forth depending on which way the rope is moving. With climbing rope diameters, when it flips back and forth, the rope pays out an inch or two, but with the thin amsteel, it seems like less than half an inch which is close enough to not be noticable to me. Now my support line is very very light (lighter than the tree huggers) and I only need one smc ring.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Yeah, I like it. The temps tonight are going close to single digits so I am going to do some testing. Might as well test this too. I have been noticing some fraying on the cover of my line when using the garda hitch. It really clamps down on the line and any movement cause wear. This may be the best solution. I think you got me started on the garda hitch with a post way back when and now this one.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    This did work well and is a way to lose two rings if you want to use bare spectra. I did it slightly different. Instead of finishing by wrapping around the ring a few times I went directly to a couple figure 8's around the ring and rope and finished with one slip knot. Just seemed easier to keep from slipping while wrapping with gloves on. You do lose the quick fne tuning capabilities of the garda hitch. Thinking about a garda hitch on one end and the munter hitch on the other. This would allow quick tightening for any stretching etc.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I agree, I like the Garda best for adjustablility, but I can't get it to hold on the thin amsteel which has no outer cover.

I finish the munter without wrapping, just tie the munter, pull it until its as snug as I want then just tie the slip knot around the taught line right up close to the munter. Seems to hold fine and if you want to readjust, a quick tug on the slip knot and your back to just the munter.

Another option currently sold by the foot: Nova Lite HP

Since many of the links in this thread have rotted and someone else might care... I damaged a line (my fault) and Hennessy replaced it under warranty. But before I worked that out with them, I found that Nova Lite HP 3/16" I can buy for $0.52/foot from http://rwrope.com/novabraid-novalite-hp.html and seems to meet specs http://www.novabraid.com/rope/novalight-hp.html 1459 lb tensile strength. I have no experience with the rope and didn't buy it after all due to the replacement, but it looks similar to what Hennessy use. Spyderline is still available but I see it only by the reel, not by the foot, so if you want less than a reel, the "Nova Lite HP" (N.B. "Nova Lite" is totally different) was all I could find by the foot. YMMV, no warranty, etc.

Images
    Hope you noticed this is 8 years old. Lots has come out since then...

Images
    Yep! This here is riggin... I am sure that this was rigged just after the birth from White Blaze...

Hammock
    Bliss No see um. Heavily Modified
    Tarp
    Army hutchie
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Own design & DIY.
    I get it from sailing shops or off eBay. I think I have 1.75mm for my ridge line. 2.5mm for the bridles and 3 mm for my main lines. Plenty strong light and compact. I splice some coloured 1mm in and out of my ridge line so I have some loops to hang my torch, watch etc etc. I put 60 mm of heat shrink on the ends of the main lines. This makes it easier to tuck the ends though my tree hugger straps. I use red for my head end and blue for my boots end.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123