Hammock for a big guy?

Hi! I'm new to hammock camping, and trying to get a friend of mine interested. We used to do car camping together, but he can't handle sleeping on the ground anymore. I think a hammock would be great for him, but he's not convinced.

He weighs in the 260-275lb range, and is getting pretty creaky and arthritic. I'm looking to make something sturdy, big, comfortable, and hard to fall out of, just so he can try it out and see if he likes it. Nothing fancy, just proof-of-concept.

Someone mentioned using a big tablecloth from tableclothsfactory.com, and that would give me a 90" width without worrying about any seams to fail. I'm tempted to pick up some Amsteel just to keep him from worrying that the rope will break.

He's inclined towards something flat with spreader bars, because he doesn't want to feel "crushed". Reading this forum, I'm wondering about something built like one of those Hennessy Asyms that is stakes out on the sides, but super wide to keep him from feeling crushed or feeling like he's going to tip over.

So, any suggestions on designs or materials well-suited to a big guy with a bad back? Can any other big guys tell me what has worked for them?

-- Joshua

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    See Mr. Clean's solution to similar problem here

It'll be a little heavier than the lightest backpacking options, but pretty much any solution for a big guy is going to be heavier anyway.

Good luck to you and your friend and WELCOME to HF!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I don't feel crushed in my tablecloth hammock at all. You can also add tieouts to the sides to help keep it open. I love, love, love mine...and love it so much that I'll deal with the weight and will be using it to camp in. I'm a big gal now, and my son can lay in my hammock with me....he is 14, tall, and ADHD so it's impossible for him to sit or lay still. We've had that sucker really swinging with a total of 360 lbs in it. Seriously. I was scared to death, but it held just fine...and as of right now it's just lashed while I figure out what length I want it, and I was surprised the material didn't pull through.

My post is here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=52163

Of course I am using amsteel. Our amsteel is 7/64. I'm going to be making a 90 wide hammock for my dad, but I'll jump the amsteel up to the next diameter for him. He's never been in a hammock and I want to make sure it is very secure for him as he is a very tall, big man.

I'd use knotty's gathered end style, and then there is actually no weight on the gather portion to pull any stitches out. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    +1 on the gathered end. I'm not sure what a 90" hammock would be like but my 68" is very comfortable and very much not confining. It's double 1.5 oz and would probably work for your friend too. I'm not quite as big as your friend but not too much smaller. The 7/64 amsteel would be good enough but you could go with the 1/8 for piece of mind.

Thanks! I'll try this out for him.

Hammock
    Danger bird
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    Incubator /Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap

I weigh 265

I weigh 265 and the grand trunk double parachute has done me wonders. If you wanna spoil yourself throw down 200 on a papasmurf danger bird double layer 1.9 like me and enjoy some fine cottage luxuries

• + New Posts