Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    could you use a pad in the U/L? obviously not in a sleeve, but I wonder if on top there is enough room with it being more shallow?
    can't speak to a pad in this specific bridge hammock but I can speak to the experience in a DIY bridge.

Two things. First, there's a bit of trick getting the pad under you lengthwise when you get into the hammock. You sit down on it and twist to bring your legs in, and the pad twists under you. You need to get stretched out and then work the pad to be in the proper position. And stay put. Any twisting and turning and the pad moves with you.

Second, you're raised up higher. That would no be much of an issue with the stock version of the BMBH because of its depth, but this hammock is shallow. That makes it more prone to tip. Look at the picture of Dutch an imagine him higher with respect to the hammock edge by 1.5" or so.

IMHO the pad pocket in the stock version of the BMBH is the perfect way to integrate a pad into a bridge hammock system.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    can't speak to a pad in this specific bridge hammock but I can speak to the experience in a DIY bridge.

Two things. First, there's a bit of trick getting the pad under you lengthwise when you get into the hammock. You sit down on it and twist to bring your legs in, and the pad twists under you. You need to get stretched out and then work the pad to be in the proper position. And stay put. Any twisting and turning and the pad moves with you.

Second, you're raised up higher. That would no be much of an issue with the stock version of the BMBH because of its depth, but this hammock is shallow. That makes it more prone to tip. Look at the picture of Dutch an imagine him higher with respect to the hammock edge by 1.5" or so.

IMHO the pad pocket in the stock version of the BMBH is the perfect way to integrate a pad into a bridge hammock system.
    +1 X 10 that last sentence! Only adding: perfect way to add a pad, regardless of hammock type. IOW, best hammock for use with a pad, IMO not really much of a contest.

First, there's a bit of trick getting the pad under you lengthwise when you get into the hammock. You sit down on it and twist to bring your legs in, and the pad twists under you. You need to get stretched out and then work the pad to be in the proper position. And stay put. Any twisting and turning and the pad moves with you.
    Agree with this statement.

But I gotta say I disagree with this one. Grizz and I differ on our preferred depth of bridge. He tends to build deeper bridges and I like shallow. I calculate the fabric width/spreader bar ratio on the BMBH UL to be ~1.34. I tend to like a ratio of about 1.15. By my estimation, although shallowER than the original BMBH, it's still deeper than my DIYs (which I use with a pad). I don't think there will be any issue, other than the one raised in Grizz's first point, with using a pad in the BMBH UL. While it may seem a bit tippy on first try, I think this sensation will quickly go away. Or at least it did for me when I started making my DIYs.

To each their own preference. YMMV.
    Last edited by BER; 05-16-2012 at 22:29. Reason: Grammar police

I found the UL does not dump out your TQ as easy as the regular BMBH.

Hammock
    WBBB/UL BMB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Looks interesting!

Do you need more room between trees for this compared to say a WBBB?

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I have never been able to get comfy in a bridge and have tried out several over the years. The second I laid in this hammock my body instantly became jello and the hammock molded to me. No cal pressure a very nice flat lay and very easy set up and take down. Most excellent product.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I used my new UL BMBH this weekend. Very comfortable, though I found I had to be careful not to hang the head end too high. I do find the suspension a pain to work with, specifically the tri-glides. I also found the suspension quite short compared to what I'm used to with my Hennessy, leaving me fewer options of places to hang. I'll be making changes to the suspension, though I'm not sure what yet.

Oh, I also found the hammock a bit tippy if I had to sit up to reach the foot end of the netting zipper. Whee!
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

My wife likes hers...

She finds the the UL is easier to enter and especially exit. She like the chair function of the UL more as well...since it is more narrow in the center it doesn't cut into back of her legs when reclining. She also like the wider feel. It is the same width as original, just not as deep. Says it is more tippy, but not difficult to compensate. Bugnet works fine, same style as original.
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    I used my new UL BMBH this weekend. Very comfortable, though I found I had to be careful not to hang the head end too high. I do find the suspension a pain to work with, specifically the tri-glides. I also found the suspension quite short compared to what I'm used to with my Hennessy, leaving me fewer options of places to hang. I'll be making changes to the suspension, though I'm not sure what yet.

Oh, I also found the hammock a bit tippy if I had to sit up to reach the foot end of the netting zipper. Whee!
    I moded my suspension even before hanging it up simply cause I am not a fan of webbing and couldent figure out how to get the tri glides from slipping due to user error not tri glide deficiency. So here is how I moded mine.

1. Attach Dutch Biner to aluminum ring (which once I get around to it ill cut off and attach Dutch Biner directly to webbing)

2. Larks head dead eye end of woopie to a six ft. tree strap.

3. Wrap strap around tree feed woopie through the webbing loop and clip adjustable end of woopie to the Dutch Biner. This is how I do all my hammock suspension and I find it to be one of the easier suspension systems.

Hope that helps ya let me know if I lost ya somewhere.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    I moded my suspension even before hanging it up simply cause I am not a fan of webbing and couldent figure out how to get the tri glides from slipping due to user error not tri glide deficiency. So here is how I moded mine.

1. Attach Dutch Biner to aluminum ring (which once I get around to it ill cut off and attach Dutch Biner directly to webbing)

2. Larks head dead eye end of woopie to a six ft. tree strap.

3. Wrap strap around tree feed woopie through the webbing loop and clip adjustable end of woopie to the Dutch Biner. This is how I do all my hammock suspension and I find it to be one of the easier suspension systems.

Hope that helps ya let me know if I lost ya somewhere.
    I get this (at least I think I do), but wonder why you don't reverse it and larks head the whoopie to the aluminum ring, then clip the other end of the whoopie to the tree straps with the Dutch Biner? That would avoid having to feed the whoopie sling through the tree strap.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast