Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    GuideGear 8.5x8.5
    Insulation
    PLUQ/CCF Pad

Dogs and Hanging

Hi guys,

I was wondering what you guys do for your four-legged friends when hanging? How do you keep them warm and dry?

In particular, on my last hang, I had a small 5 x 7' tarp I laid on the ground for my dog to sleep on. However, the ticks came onto the tarp and got at him anyway. Suggestions on dealing with this?

Quote Originally Posted by crashvandicoot View Post
    Hi guys,

I was wondering what you guys do for your four-legged friends when hanging? How do you keep them warm and dry?

In particular, on my last hang, I had a small 5 x 7' tarp I laid on the ground for my dog to sleep on. However, the ticks came onto the tarp and got at him anyway. Suggestions on dealing with this?
    easy, put him in the hammock with you. well, at least thats what i do. my dog is about 55 lbs, i am about 155. technically my hennessy backpacker isn't supposed to have over 200 lbs in it but it was never a problem. its a bit odd shifting around but you get the hang of it. my dog gets freaked super easily too and she was fine once i got her in there. i have her carry her own blanket, sleeping bag and sweatshirt since shes a short haired and gets cold at night. basically she worked like a small furnace and kept me warm. now if your dog is really big than you have a problem. but i have actually seen people create these hammocks they hang under theres and the dogs sleep in them, even labs up to 80 lbs. i think they made it kind of four sided though if i remember right.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    All of our dogs are treated with revolution. When I need to take one or two with me, they sleep with me....but all of ours are really small, our biggest to us is 10 pounds. I have one right now that I can't leave at home due to her separation anxiety, so she'll be going with me until we get through this spell. She's just over a year old and only 4 lbs.

Insulation
    warm stuff
    We use Advocate Multi on our dog so the bugs have not been a problem... as for sleeping i take a piece of tyvek and a pad for max and put him under my hammock... last night he was soaked and I covered him with a space blanket to make sure he was warm but he ended up sleeping on top of it and was getting a good bit of heat from my under quilt. This morning he was dry and warm.
    I have been using the Advocate Multi for 3 years and it is the only spot on treatment I have found that works... I get it from Joe's Pet Meds.com. Here is a link. http://www.joespetmeds.com/flea-cont...tage-multi.htm

Every dog is different as far as where they prefer to sleep... take your dog out and see where they want to be.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. Jennifer Unlimited
    Health food may be good for the conscience, but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better. -- Robert Redford

http://daydreamingmisadventurer.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I cut an old Z Lite sleeping pad in two and each dog carries theirs on their packs to sleep on at night. They're Huskies so they have thick coats & don't mind the cold air.
    http://www.rei.com/product/781089/th...e-sleeping-pad
    Campmor does sale travel dog beds for $34.99 if you are leaning towards that.
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___22750
    We treat them with Advantix for ticks/fleas/squitters.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    For my lab I picked up a small nylon childrens dome tent from Walmart. Found one that was appx 4' x 4' with a top loop. The poles that came w it were quite cheap so I often left them behind and would set the tent underneath my hammock and then suspend the top loop to one of my suspension lines. With the floor and mesh it kept her dry and tick free. Weight was minimal at around 1.5lb and was transported in her pack instead of mine. Will see if I have a pick to post.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ- MacCat
    Insulation
    Leighlo, JRB MT 4
    Images
    Mine sleeps in my hammock

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I just put down a folded sheet under my hammock. He's never complained, but I haven't been out when it was really cold.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My pup Kiba comes with me all the time. Here is one of our videos where we are hanging in the woods.

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ- MacCat
    Insulation
    Leighlo, JRB MT 4
    Images
    At about 5:11 in the video show my dog in the hammock
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnYyJ...e_gdata_player

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast