Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cardboard/paper as insulation?

hi

I'm about to purchase a Hennessy Backpacker Ultralight A-Sym. Since I'm a bycicle tourer I'm going to "camp" on urban/suburban areas most of the times. I'll carry the 4-season shelter system with me, the thin Underpad and a space blanket: should keep me warm enough on most nights, but if the temperature drops I'd rather take advantage of what's available nearby than carry an extra pad...
    has anybody tried this system already and can tell its effectiveness/drawbacks? for instance, could the edge of a cardboard cut on the hammock if used INSIDE the hammock?

Images

if there's a will, there's a way

Quote Originally Posted by bestianera View Post
    hi

I'm about to purchase a Hennessy Backpacker Ultralight A-Sym. Since I'm a bycicle tourer I'm going to "camp" on urban/suburban areas most of the times. I'll carry the 4-season shelter system with me, the thin Underpad and a space blanket: should keep me warm enough on most nights, but if the temperature drops I'd rather take advantage of what's available nearby than carry an extra pad...
    has anybody tried this system already and can tell its effectiveness/drawbacks? for instance, could the edge of a cardboard cut on the hammock if used INSIDE the hammock?
    cardboard from things shipped from china in the softest. thicker the corrugation the warmer (jump on it to soften it up). bubble wrap is good. carpet pieces or pad from a carpet place or construction dumpster. a hammock would of been cool under the boardwalk

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. I would be careful putting something like cardboard in the hammock. Be sure to inspect carefully for staples, sharp edges of carton glue etc. As for the effectiveness of such material I can't say, but please let us know how well it works.
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The olher thing that would bother me about some found materials, especially things like corrugated cardboard is the potential for hitchhikers to be present. Some spiders and other critter bites can be quite serious. Critters are known to migrate and take refuge in shipping materials and discarded boxes.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Paper or card board is good insulation in my opinion and if you can find enough you could inspect it and use it. However, a blue WalMart pad weighs only a few ounces, and can be rolled up to fit somewhere on your bike and you will be able to rest assured of having what you need. Good luck and welcome.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    If I had to use urban found materials, I'd go for newspaper. It is proven to insulate, and it can be bought cheaply or gotten for free brand new, very clean. Just crumple it up a bit.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Insulation
    Still Learning

Windshield Reflector?

Haven't tried this out yet, but I purchased a windshield solar reflector to use as an insulator. The surface is made of reflective material, similar to a space blanket. It's light and looks like it should pack down fairly well. Has anyone else tried this?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gladiator View Post
    Haven't tried this out yet, but I purchased a windshield solar reflector to use as an insulator. The surface is made of reflective material, similar to a space blanket. It's light and looks like it should pack down fairly well. Has anyone else tried this?
    Quite a few around here have tried them. Most opt for better insulating options.
    Do a search here on it. Welcome to the site.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Insulation
    Still Learning
    I should add that I intend to use the reflector in conjunction with my BA sleeping pad and bag combo. I'm hoping that combination will be warm enough for late fall/early spring hikes.

Gladiator

Hammock
    DIY HH Clone
    Tarp
    Pending
    Insulation
    RidgeRest CCP
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gladiator View Post
    I should add that I intend to use the reflector in conjunction with my BA sleeping pad and bag combo. I'm hoping that combination will be warm enough for late fall/early spring hikes.

Gladiator
    Hey Gladiator, depending on how low those overnight temps will get for you in late fall/early spring, I would think that the reflector sheet paired up with your Big Agnes bag/pad combo would help retain some heat, some. Granted your level of comfort is up to you, are you a cold sleeper? Hot sleeper? That is a big factor in determining what colder weather gear to bring. It really seems like the underquilt is the way to go in the long run, however I don't have one yet and I have been fine to below freezing with a 3/4 selfinflatable pad, 30 degree synthetic bag, and good thermal base clothing with no underquilt or tarp. At least you don't have to wrestle with you pad with the Big Agnes bag, good luck.
    [....] Our remnants of wilderness will yield bigger values to the nation's character and health than they will to its pocketbook, and to destroy them will be to admit that the latter are the only values that interest us.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast