Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Insulation
    Still Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by eugeneius View Post
    Granted your level of comfort is up to you, are you a cold sleeper? Hot sleeper? That is a big factor in determining what colder weather gear to bring. It really seems like the underquilt is the way to go in the long run, however I don't have one yet and I have been fine to below freezing with a 3/4 selfinflatable pad, 30 degree synthetic bag, and good thermal base clothing with no underquilt or tarp. At least you don't have to wrestle with you pad with the Big Agnes bag, good luck.
    Thanks for the reply. I tend to sleep hot. My bag is a zero, and the pad is a 15, and I have a liner. In theory, that should be more than warm enough for Oct-Nov. I'm kinda new at this, so I wonder a lot. Time and experience will tell.

The integration of the pad and bag are the main reasons why I bought them.

Hammock
    Hennessey Hammock
    Tarp
    One I made
    Insulation
    Underquilt I made
    My solution to the insulation issue was to make a quilt to go snugly under my HH. I used #400 thinsulate (about 0.5" thick) for insulation. Getting the "snugly" part right was tricky as you're working with a surface that's curved around multiple centers but with persistence I've got it right twice now, once on my HH and once on my wife's HH. Sure, it's more bulky than putting a pad inside. The bulk is countered by the ease of set up and not having to wake up every hour to get myself back on a pad that's no longer underneath me.

I tried HH's undercover and foam pad system and consider it the worst $100 I've ever spent. The undercover is a pain to set up properly and maintain in place. The foam pad is way too flimsy for the intended use. If you've got one and have duct taped the holes you've put in it, consider replacing the pad with headliner cloth like that used to insulate curtains using the original as a pattern. Headliner cloth can be found in most larger fabric stores and consists of nylon fabric on which a nylon foam has been formed. It's tough stuff and much better suited for the application. I used it until I decided that a closely fitted underquilt was the ultimate solution.

I suggested headliner cloth to HH but got a "no thanks" reply, which, considering how poor their product is, makes me wonder what motivates them.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    You should post pictures of your UQ.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Dutch is right, no braggin with out pics.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12