DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    DIY under-quilt
    Suspension
    DIY webbing/rings

DIY Bridge, and thoughts about UQ

Finally got round to ordering some material and putting myself together a bridge hammock.

Its heavily based on GrizzlyAdams and TeeDees informative threads. The spreaders are around 36" at the head and 26" at the feet
    and a 7" depth in the curve. Im around 6'4" and I added around 7" for extra space and it seemed to work out fine.

Here are a few pics of it on a hang at the weekend:
    http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/12154...02012?h=fa6d82

Apart from the next step of the bugnet, I working out options for a UQ. I want to use my exped, and as you see in the pictures
    above i used an old underquilt and jammed in the exped. This worked quite well as a temp solution but i considering making
    a sleeve for the exped and attaching bungies cords to the corners of the sleeve then fixing those
    to the hammocks webbing loops.

Have any of you guys done any thing similar? There would have to be very little air in the mat and i also think i would have to have some
    kind of baffle/draw string to be able to adjust the contact to the hammock and stop wind blowing through.

/nozzy

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Wouldn't it just be easier to place the exped mat inside the hammock and lay directly on it? Seems like making a separate sleeve to attach to the hammock independently would have quite a bit of fiddle factor to get it to work right.

Of course the best option would be to use a proper underquilt rated for your desired temperature. I am sure you could easily sell your Exped to help fund your underquilt purchase/construction.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Hi Nozzy,
    haven't tried this but in principle it should work. The advantage is that it would not raise your center of mass in the hammock, over putting the pad in the hammock. For what it is worth, my intuition says that the disadvantage, aside from weight of the sleeve, is that to keep the pad up against the bottom of the hammock will take more tension than would a lighter and more pliable down underquilt.

It makes sense to carry a pad if either (a) you already have one THAT IS WIDE ENOUGH and don't want to spend the coin for an underquilt, or (b) you may need to go to ground, so that the pad is doing its duty either in the air or on the ground.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    Nice looking bridge. I too use a pad and I made my bridge a double layer so mat would be between the two. Since you already made the hammock you could try sewing another piece of fabric to the hammock body to make a channel for you mat. I think this would keep the mat in the right spot and be hassle free in terms of getting the pad in just the spot.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    JBR has done what I suggested to you.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/images/D...cket-weblg.jpg

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    DIY under-quilt
    Suspension
    DIY webbing/rings
    Thanks guys for the replys.

As grizz mentioned the exped in the hammock just raised the centre of gravity and reducing the width inside due to it wrapping around me once get in and lay down.
    I agree with you grizz about the tension needed to get the mat curl around would disturb the way the hammock hangs. But I usually have the mat
    With me and it's now to have the choice to setup a bivy if the situation needs
    ,the mat is perfect for that.

I think if I keep the air pressure low and maybe add some kind of upper elongated edge to seal the contact with the hammock and keep the wind out it might work out. Also if I use a breathable material on the contact side and a waterproof material on the outside the mat holder could double up as a ground cover for when I want to use the mat on the ground.

I get back with some pictures at the weekend when I get the first version together.

/nozzy

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    DIY under-quilt
    Suspension
    DIY webbing/rings
    Paprika bohlmann "you could try sewing another piece of fabric to the hammock body to make a channel for you mat".

This was the way I was going to go, but I was very uncertain that sewing in the laying zone would be risky and could cause the material to fail? It would be the a good way go, anyone tried that with a single layered bridge sewing a pocket for a pad and not having any problems?

/nozzy

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    JBRs bridge has the channel sewn right into the body. If you are concerned about durability maybe you could sew end channels and then one piece in the center-like five or twelve inches wide. I've never tried it myself but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

• + New Posts