Tarp
    DIY 0.51 CF
    Insulation
    DIY 7D/M50 TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

The Lightest Tree Huggers

Hi all,

First off, I know that Polyester webbing is the Go-To for tree huggers, but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with Polypropylene, or any other types of webbing. I am trying to get a SUL hammock setup and ordered samples of every style and flavor of webbing from Strapworks http://www.strapworks.com/default.asp trying to find a sweet spot for weight vs. stretch vs. strength.

The 1" Polypropylene (0.21oz/ft) is less than half the weight of the 1" Polyester (0.48oz/ft) and still has a weight rating of 900lbs, which I am comfortable with, seeing as my Dynaglide Whoopies are only rated to 1000lbs.

On Strapworks it says that Polypropylene doesn't have great abrasion resistance. Does anyone have any experience with the longevity of Polypropylene tree huggers.

Aside from finding lighter materials, the other option to shed weight is, obviously, using less material. What do you all think of using 3/4", or even 5/8" polyester tree straps. Do you think that these would provide enough protection to the bark.

Finally, There is also "Seat Belt" Polyester webbing. This stuff is lighter than the standard polyester, but has very similar strength. Is there anyone that knows how well this holds up in the field? I would think it would be OK seeing as I have never seen a torn or tattered seat belt...and those things see a lot of daily use-and-abuse.

Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Coeptus; 05-08-2012 at 20:53.
    "There's a difference between conscience, conscious, and conscientious contrary to popular belief."
    ~ Sage Francis

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    The strapping I typically use weighs the same as the 0.21oz/ft stuff you quote. Didn't get it from strapworks though, and I think it is polyester. Bought a roll of it a couple of years ago. 1" wide.

I would not go narrower to save weight. You can cook up combinations of webbing and cord though, if you're really and truly a gram weenie, and it can shave off a little bit. I demo'd an idea for that in this video. Basic idea is to limit the webbing to the back of the tree, up the sides, and then come forward with cord. It takes a bit more time to put up a tree strap, but it's not difficult.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I use the 1" seat belt from strapworks. Don't see any wear or stretch with it yet.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    DIY 0.51 CF
    Insulation
    DIY 7D/M50 TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Grizz,

That video was very helpful, I have a couple ideas that I will have to try regarding that hybrid cord/webbing tree strap system.

Regarding the UCR suspension you are using in the video. Is there a thread detailing the construction and use of this system? I have tried to search the forum but have unfortunately came up empty handed.
    "There's a difference between conscience, conscious, and conscientious contrary to popular belief."
    ~ Sage Francis

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coeptus View Post
    Grizz,

That video was very helpful, I have a couple ideas that I will have to try regarding that hybrid cord/webbing tree strap system.

Regarding the UCR suspension you are using in the video. Is there a thread detailing the construction and use of this system? I have tried to search the forum but have unfortunately came up empty handed.
    Here is a YouTube video from Opie that talks about UCR's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBiGD...e_gdata_player
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I use mule tape as my strap. Durable, very light weight, doesn't damage tree, clings like it should, hold the marlin just fine, and no sliding.....and free if you know someone special that frequents construction sites.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    At times, I consider myself a gram weenie, but there are areas that I turn a blind eye, somewhat, and that is suspension lines. After all, this is the part of the hammock that can bear a variety of load stress, even more than what is present in the hammock, thanks to physics.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

My recommendation: don't skimp on your life-line. While this may not be lead climbing on Half Dome, I'd much rather carry an extra gram than have a shattered hip bone.

That said, straps aren't usually that heavy if you shop around. I bought some raylon(?) straps from Walmart that were very light, no stretch, and have yet to fail. I think they are polypropylene based.

I've also come to like DutchWare's whoopie hook system. Like Grizz recommended, it has a shorter strap and saves weight with the cord. Whoopie slings use more cord than UCRs, but it is still a lighter system and requires less fiddling than other options.

Sgt. Rock's post on a 13 oz hammock set up is still worth reading, even though he is trying an even lighter cuben fiber hammock system now.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=20614

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    0.48 oz for polyester??? That's crazy heavy for polyester webbing. Look around some more there is good quality polyester that is rated higher and weighs less than half that available from several of us actual hammock vendors.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

polypro

Where I mostly backpack, the trees have rough bark and are seldom more than a foot thick. At my 150# of weight, I'm using polypro webbing that is not too long, which reduces the stretch. It has lasted for 80-100 nights so far.

Due to liability, some materials that may be fine for some hangers are less often sold because they may not be safe for others.

Hammock
    DangerBird72 /W.L. Light owl
    Tarp
    4S Cuben/WL OMW
    Insulation
    Fronkey made20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whooooopie...

Arbortie

I just bought a roll of this stuff. PM me your address and I will send you a sample set of tree straps. It is rated at 900 lbs and lightweight.-Groovy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast