DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by beactivelife View Post
    How much of a weight difference am I looking at in a DIY Tablecloth design like that? The Eno Singlenest is about 18 ounces with carabiners, 20 ounces or so with straps. I dont mind a bit of extra weight but dont want to be lugging around 2 lbs just for the hammock either.
    I'll weigh mine and get back to you on that tomorrow (not going to the attic right now ). I've got extra material on length though because I haven't cut it off, but I'm most certainly leaving it at 90 wide just do to the fact that it is just so great. With the extra width, I'm finding I don't need it as long as I thought. There are other widths though. I can tell you that with the 90 you don't need to do the shock cord trick. When you change your angle your side really aren't that floppy and your top quilt isn't going to go anywhere.

At least I can tell you what 13' x 7.5' weighs and with lashing and whoopies.

Cool, thank you very much for the reply. I suppose I could always trim the fabric on the sides and hem or sew it if needed. That is a good option too, at least more affordable. Especially since I am buying two rigs one for me and one for the person that will be hammock camping with me. Very expensive

@2TallWv

Thanks for the insight, I would love to hear your impressions once you get it and test it out.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Rather than sending all this info through private messages, I'll leave here to hopefully help others too. ...by the way, it was nice meeting and chatting with you.

It is 31.9 oz. I left everything attached and I have 2 suspensions on it right now due to the length. I have amsteel chain links, and whoopies. I also have it lashed with paracord while I decide on the length I want. It has a lash-it ridgeline with 3 braided mason line prusiks, nothing is on the prusiks for the weigh in.

Things to keep in mind. You could use shorter whoopies and just have one suspension. My material is still at the full 13 feet, which probably 2 feet will be coming off that...times that by 90" wide and there is a nice chunk of weight gone. I plan on doing knotty's gathered end when my length is decidedhttp://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205 At that point I'll be replacing the paracord to just braided mason's line. When you look at Knotty's directions you'll see that the gathering doesn't hold any weight, it is only holding the gather, then you put your suspension under that so there is no pull on the stitches and it doesn't matter what cord you use to gather the material.

Pluses; the hems are already done. The material feels great!! Sweet spot is found almost instantly. Great color selection. Lots of space. You can play around with your length by hand gathering and lashing until you find what works best for you. If you get the 90 wide, you can play with the width too. You can also get the material at different lengths and widths.

Negatives; It is heavier and not a choice for UL hikers. If you have dogs, this material does not like dog claws very much. It'll leave little snaggy puncture areas (for lack of better explanation), they're not exactly holes. For some, they may not like the shininess of the fabric (I like it though). Standard length whoopies could be a problem for some, depending on finished length of hammock.

Information is coming from not a tiny woman, at 5'11 and weight is non of anyone's business

Hope that helps and answered everything.
    Last edited by DivaB; 05-09-2012 at 10:12.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    if you have any diy skills you can always make a hammock to your specs. i am 6'2" and my hammock is a diy gathered end style. it goes about 11' long by 58" wide
    Hops

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Great information Diva. Thank you, I am interested in the taffeta material since I got my DangerBird from PapaSmurf. I love that material. Can't ask for a better price.
    "No whining in the woods"

Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    It is 31.9 oz. I left everything attached and I have 2 suspensions on it right now due to the length. I have amsteel chain links, and whoopies. I also have it lashed with paracord while I decide on the length I want. It has a lash-it ridgeline with 3 braided mason line prusiks, nothing is on the prusiks for the weigh in.
    That is really not that bad at all considering you have everything rigged up at that weight. I think I may actually go this route. How difficult do you suppose the material is to work with, if I decided to cut the sides a bit and then hem them (to cut down on the width a little).

Thanks for all of your help

Quote Originally Posted by grich9860 View Post
    if you have any diy skills you can always make a hammock to your specs. i am 6'2" and my hammock is a diy gathered end style. it goes about 11' long by 58" wide
    Thanks for the reply. i think I may need to go that route due to the initial investment cost of a good hammock setup.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by beactivelife View Post
    Thanks for the reply. i think I may need to go that route due to the initial investment cost of a good hammock setup.
    It's really easy material to work with, I think you'll be just fine The organza would work for a decent bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12