Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images

Bigger tarp or doors?

I've got a MacCat Deluxe from OES and am thinking about adding end panels that be drawn together to keep out the wind/rain/snow. Doug the Elder put the idea in my head.
    The question is... With the larger tarps now available from JRB and OES, I was wondering what makes for better protection and flexibility while considering overall weight. What do you all think? I'm pretty sure I can get ZQ to add the panels but would like to think on it a bit more.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by 2Questions; 08-02-2008 at 21:01. Reason: added picture

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

end panels or ...

I had an idea borne out of using my poncho to cover the ends of my MacCat during the rain Saturday night at MAHHA. It's to have extra panels that connect to the tarp at tie-outs, with a little extra to cover where the panel meets the tarp, and some tensioning to hold it. I had hoped to have that ready to play with by next week for a trip I'm taking, but have out-sourced the cutting of the material, haven't gotten it yet, so that plan is now looking doubtful.

Anyway this does relate to your question. In my design a "panel" is like one side of a two sided door. Carrying two of these panels one could either use them together on the same end to close things off, or use one on each end of the tarp, but on the same side. This latter configuration would let you beef up the protection on one side of the hammock, presumably on the windward side. With the weight of two panels you have greater flexibility I think than firmly afixed add-on panels, and potentially less weight than the big tarps.

sure would like to spice up the discussion with pictures, but ....

Grizz

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Hey Grizz, I had the same exact thought doing the same thing with my poncho 2 weekends ago up in the Adirondacks. Well not exactly, I didn't get as far in the thought exercise as you. I left it as, "what a great way to use my poncho".

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Hey Grizz, I had the same exact thought doing the same thing with my poncho 2 weekends ago up in the Adirondacks. Well not exactly, I didn't get as far in the thought exercise as you. I left it as, "what a great way to use my poncho".
    necessity is the mother of invention. I had blown rain coming at me from the open end of the tarp and no easy way to repitch in a hurry.

More than likely I saw or read about something similar here on HF or some other site. I dunno. There are so many ideas that get floated, that's the fun of keeping up with the site.

Hope you didn't get wet!

Grizz

Images
    2Q, I'm flattered that my doors would spark interest in a master fabricator such as yourself. Given that most mods have up sides and down sides...the only down side I have found with my doors is a very few oz extra weight. Beyond that, they're extremely simple and require very little planning and decision making to use...they're there if you need them, they're out of the way if you don't. The transition from 'out of the way' to 'in place' takes a few seconds, can be done in the dark, and you don't need to determine or predict changes in wind direction. And, oh yeah, they work. That being said, surely they can be improved upon, and I'd sure like to see some of the more experienced hands like you, Grizz, et al put your minds to it. DTE
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    2Q,

I have the big JRB tarp. On the same Sat. night at MAHHA hang that Grizz mentioned, I had my tarp setup in the simple A-frame because rain was predicted. I tied up my tarp with the open windward end very close to the tree so the tree would help block most rain and tied the middle ties at that end of the tarp completely closed and then crossed over the bottom ends of the tarp to close it in even more. Jack (JRB) showed me this.

Other side of tarp was open to enter and exit. This worked well until wind changed that night. Got some mist inside but not enough for me to get up and change things around. Simply zipped up bug netting on my modified HH to keep mist off the top of me and was fine. (Thank again for that mod!)

I do love the privacy that DTE's doors give him.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    necessity is the mother of invention. I had blown rain coming at me from the open end of the tarp and no easy way to repitch in a hurry.

More than likely I saw or read about something similar here on HF or some other site. I dunno. There are so many ideas that get floated, that's the fun of keeping up with the site.

Hope you didn't get wet!

Grizz

I hear ya. Stayed very dry. Got to watch the thunderstorm over the lake through the open foot end all night. Awesome cloud-cloud lightning.

Images
    I like the end pannels idea. I played around with more of a rectangular tarp and don't like the way it preforms. For me when I can get around to it a cat tarp that isn't a true hex, longer on the bottom sides than the ends by a couple feet at least, than with end covers like T-Back and Jeff made. I think that would give the best of both for the weight.

Although if I was above the artic circle I would have a JRB cabin tent.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Decided on doors for my MacCat. ZQ is just about done, waiting for D rings for the door panels to tie them out. More pictures coming soon of the door mod. I think I'll be happy with it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I too have a MacCat tarp and have been thinking about getting a Speer Winter Tarp. But having a way to attach a couple door panels might be a better, lighter weight solution. Thanks,

Bear Bag Hanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast