Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    GuideGear 8.5x8.5
    Insulation
    PLUQ/CCF Pad

First Overnight Hang in Deam Wilderness (Indiana)

I had initially planned to do 5 days out, but because I didn't have time to test a lot of my gear beforehand, I knew I might have to abort early. I ended up doing 18-22 miles on the Grubb Loop and Peninsula Trail. My awesome Aussie Cattle Dog Mix, Dingo, joined me for the hike.

The trail was very muddy in places (it's open to horse traffic, which does a number on the trail). At some point about halfway to the intersection with the Peninsula trail, I must have gotten off path and onto a game trail. I didn't realize until a couple miles in, so I triangulated my position and headed what I thought to be north. Turned out, my compass was on the fritz and I ended up hiking up and down a bunch of pretty steep and nasty knobs trying to get back on trail, stopping every 5 minutes to pick the ticks off my dog and I.

Eventually, I got back on the Grubb trail, and just as the sun was setting, made it to the beach of Lake Monroe and my campsite. A nasty storm front was coming in at the same time, so I only had time to pitch my tarp, hammock, and lay down my groundsheet. I'd planned on getting into camp 4 hours earlier, adapting a Coughlan's bug net, and rigging it to a ridgeline, then making some spam and mashed potatoes for dinner. While waiting for the rain to stop, I dozed off.

Couple hours later, I woke up and found that my fuel bottle had burst on the way in, so I'd have to make a fire. It was tough with everything soaked, but I managed. However, I ended up not being such a fan of spam, so I ate what I could stomach and gave the rest to the dog.

I slept well enough. At first, I was okay with just my fleece sleeping bag (50deg). But once the storms really picked up, I was getting some CBS, so I threw a nylon-backed fleece blanket under the bag That seemed to do the trick. It was supposed to be rigged as an UQ, but I didn't have time to do it. Thankfully, the bugs weren't a problem, so I didn't end up needed a net.

Next morning, I hiked back out to my car (which I accidentally parked on private property, but thankfully wasn't towed). This was also my first hike since childhood, and it definitely took a toll on my knees and back. Hiking poles are next on my list of things to buy.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Yes! good job as you know i was there the following day and kuddos for the bushwaking and getting there regardless! it was beautiful there on the lake.. hiking poles for me are a must, i would rather be using my walking stick, but due to size age and well lack of ability i use poles! keep at it and who knows maybe we can hang over the summer?
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an

Sycamore Loop

After the Peninsula trail last weekend,I went on the sycamore loop. Due to my lack paying attention I ended up overdoing it and did not hang there that night, tho the two most perfect spots I have seen yet were there! I was truly miffed at myself for passing them up!
    So the sycamore is a hikers only trail in the Charles deam wilderness, starting out on a gravel road about 1/4 mile in is the turn off onto the trail. to the right is the first campsite, nice but no water supply and real close to the combined terril ridge and sycamore loop trailhead. Continue down the trail and the first mile or so is swtchbacks down to the creek where right after you cross the first time is awesome site by the creek and small clearing. The second site is set off the trail but marked which imo is the best nestled among big pines and next to the creek seemed to be perfect. ( this is my first mistake thinking im good and these sites get better ) walking and criss crossing the creek among abundant flora and magnifcent trees the third site was nice but didnt look to have a good choice of hanging trees. ( second mistake not making time to really check it out) ONward to the fourth where by now i decided that it was mine but aloas a family was there.adn thats where the trail turns and heads out of the floor and back up. no climbs real steep but steady. some marvelous forest to walk thru. at the top there was another campsite but the pond was pretty stagnat and the trees around the site had widowmakers( ahh good decision) . and then about another mile or so your back on the gravel road. go north to another pond and the terril cemetary or south back to the begining.. that is what i did by this time ten miles in one day w 40 lb pack (30 on this trail ) blisters on my feet and swollen i thought better get to truck and as luck would have it two decent climbs on the road itself! hehehehe
    so all in all a good hike and one i want to do again badly but from what i hear once summer sets water is rare in the creek.

sorry meant this for a new post
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mountainhanger; 05-09-2012 at 09:06. Reason: computer challenged
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Mac Cat
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    straps and whoopie
    Hey guys!

Where is the Deam Wilderness in IN? I'm looking for good spots to go, and I live in the Chicagoland area (from Indianapolis).

Good Stories!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    GuideGear 8.5x8.5
    Insulation
    PLUQ/CCF Pad
    It's just outside of Bloomington, south of Monroe Lake, and is part of the Hoosier National Forest. I haven't been out many places other than the Deam, but it's a great place to hike with enough trails to fill an easy-going 3-4 days.

If you're coming from Indy, you'll take 37 South to Bloomington, then 446 South. Hang a left on Tower Ridge Road.

Water can be a little scarce, but as long as you're willing to walk along a few creek beds, it can be found fairly easily. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask away; there are a TON of hoosiers on this forum.

• + New Posts