Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images

Hangin' Below Deck

No, not the deck of a ship. I mean a deck...as a deck on the outside of a house.

I had to be up at Young Harris College this morning for an Alumni Board meeting at 11:00. Young Harris is about 2 hours and 45 minutes from my house and Atlanta and all of its traffic are in between. Recently, rather than driving up for a meeting or some other event and having to deal with the Atlanta morning rush, I've been leaving work a little early the day before and staying overnight somewhere near campus. Hotels are way expensive, campsites at State Parks and other nearby campgrounds are cheaper but still somewhat pricey so lately I've been taking my hammock gear and hanging at a secluded spot on a hillside on the back side of campus (with the approval of the college administration even) and even have had access to a shower to clean up in the morning.

Last night after I'd finished my supper and enjoyed a very nice cigar while watching the sun set I just didn't feel like trudging up the hill to my usual campsite. A while back I'd noticed that a couple of supports under a corner of the deck that wraps around three sides of our Alumni Services building were juuuuust about the right distance apart for a hammock. Turns out they were exactly the right distance apart...

Turned out to be quite a nice spot with the exception of a nearby security light (which I took care of with a stocking cap pulled down over my eyes). Low temp for the night was 41 according to my thermometer and I was comfy and toasty warm until I rolled out about 7:00 to go mark my territory and then grab a shower. Best of all, for being in a rather exposed location, nobody seemed to notice...and the folks in our Alumni Office thought it was pretty cool...
    Last edited by Steve D; 05-12-2012 at 11:55.

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Sweet hang! I LOVE this impromptu style of hanging! The world is our bedroom with hammocks. Nicely done!

~ Sky
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Sweet hang! Kayak Karl hung under the deck of cabin C a few years back at SoRuck. I looked for the pic of it, but can't seem to find it anywhere. With any luck, he'll chime in.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    There's a gazebo on campus I'm soooo tempted to hang in. Just can't do it during the school year or during any of the camps they have there in the summer. The kids hang in it all the time but I'm afraid there would be something a bit creepy about an older guy doing it. Guess I'll stick to my hillside spot or my new spot under the Alumni Office deck...

• + New Posts