Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Illustration - Rigging A Tarp w/Continuous Ridge WITH HARDWARE!

Okay, below is the companion illustration to my no hardware illustration. The purpose of this illustration is to show how to rig a tarp using a continuous ridge line and minimal hardware to achieve the "V" that allows the hammock suspension to fit easily in the middle.

There are TONS of hardware options out there, so please understand this is just an illustration to show the technique more than to promote any particular hardware device.

You can read more details on my blog post.

Enjoy!

Last edited by dejoha; 05-10-2012 at 08:57.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double and Haven XL
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Awesome illustrations as always. Gotta love Adobe Illustrator. Anyway, on to my question. I am planning on rigging my tarp similar to the way you show in example A. However, I was planning on using a prusik/sbiner on both ends. In your experience, is there any reason you can think of why this wouldn't work? Is it just more complicated than it needs to be? Just seems like it would be easier to adjust/center/etc. I could swear that I saw a video on youtube somewhere showing this but for the life of me I can not find it. Your illustration is the closest thing Ive found to this so thank you again!

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by robv60 View Post
    Awesome illustrations as always. Gotta love Adobe Illustrator. Anyway, on to my question. I am planning on rigging my tarp similar to the way you show in example A. However, I was planning on using a prusik/sbiner on both ends. In your experience, is there any reason you can think of why this wouldn't work? Is it just more complicated than it needs to be? Just seems like it would be easier to adjust/center/etc. I could swear that I saw a video on youtube somewhere showing this but for the life of me I can not find it. Your illustration is the closest thing Ive found to this so thank you again!
    I don't think the two prusik's are necessary. Yes, it would work. A lot of people rig up their ridgeline using an number of hardware/knot combinations and then use two prusk's with more hardware to attach the tarp. That works too.

I like the simple approach, and if I can eliminate some weight or an extra step, I like it.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double and Haven XL
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    You make a good point. It should essentially work the same way without the second prusik so I think Ill try it as you illustrated first. Less complicated.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti, Downmat 9
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    I also thought about the second prusik when I set up my continuous ridgeline, but finally rigged it as the picture shows. It worked fine with only one, and it is simpler.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    For those interested, would you prefer if I just posted the image in the forum? I'm trying to walk a fine line about what I do here without getting in trouble, but it seems I've crossed that line.

If there were a hammock camping religion, I'm afraid I'd probably be a member. I'm sort of evangelical when it comes to hammocks (can I help it?). I want to share the good news beyond the forum, so I wrote a book (shame!) and just started a little blog (hiss!). The blog is where I hope to share new illustrations, in hopes to increase the missionary work. But it seems that some people don't like that arrangement. Let me know what works for you, will you? Don't hide your feelings.

You know what, I LOVE drawing. And I LOVE hammocks. This is just a fun hobby on both sides and I love sharing it with my friends here on and off the forums. It seems that, regretfully, I also happened to collect my silly drawings into a little book on hammock camping. Now it seems that anything I do on the forums is viewed as a shameless book plug.

Well, it isn't.

I do this because it's just fun. Darn it!

I just want you to know that. I hope the fun doesn't stop, although there are times when it is oppressive.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    You better watch it D. Most of your drawings have things that are made by someone else and you might just sell there stuff too.

I say, post it anyway that is easy for you. I think a link is much less burden on the HF site, but I could be wrong. Maybe you could change your blog title to D's charity event. All proceeds go to further the education of new hammock campers.
    Keep preachin' brotha, people are listenin'...
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Thanks MuseJr! "Onward Hammock Soldiers..."

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    My personal opinion? Post the pic for easy HF user viewing, the image is no issue for the forum...

Keep your advertisement in your signature line... and "sales" and other advertising stuff in the vendor forum.

You're drawings are great, and you've done some great innovations to the hobby... Hug nets, PLUQ's, etc.

Keep up the good work!

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I like your pics. My personal opinion is I also like having links to your blog. In the last couple of days I've used those links to point people to your illustrations and your book.

Keep preachin' brother.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast