Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    keep doing what you do, that you do so well, functional simplicity.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback! The e-book version includes all the artwork from the print version, but there are some limitations on file size, just like on the web. I am limited on how large each image can be for the book. I understand that the apple/iBook version allows you to zoom extremely close, so you will see some pixilation. Viewing at the original size should be fine.

I am working on an updated version and I'll see what limitations are in place when the next edition is published. As my book is heavy with illustrations, any e-book version will have some limitations.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Leighlo 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Knot bone on fixed end so that you can adjust the V for that side of the tarp, then the prussik and Figure 9 on the other end to adjust it as well. Prussik your tarp ends to the CRL and boom, you're set up in a minute a half with full adjustability of the tarp and the spacing of the V's so the hammock suspension doesn't hit it whilst swinging. Great illustrations by the way!

Thanks for posting these dejoha. I've been collecting them for reference purpose to laminate.

How about doing it via iBooks? The limitation on size is fairly high on iAuthor not to mention that video, etc., could be added. The application is really easy to use. Apple is going to want their cut, but you could get around it by offering here. I for one would purchase it again.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    How about doing it via iBooks? The limitation on size is fairly high on iAuthor not to mention that video, etc., could be added. The application is really easy to use. Apple is going to want their cut, but you could get around it by offering here. I for one would purchase it again.
    That's an idea. It would be a challenge to create more versions, however. The print version took months of designing and the e-book versions also took more formatting (a separate version was required for kindle and ePub worked for everything else). The interactive version is appealing from a design point of view, but I'm not sure it would pay for itself, to be honest. All the interactive pieces seem to be covered in what is on the web. Only a small percentage of people buy the apple version. By and large the most common electronic version is kindle. Kindle just came out with a new format with improved layout options and I'll most likely focus on that format first.

I'll start thinking more seriously about the apple-specific version in the coming months as I work on the updated edition.

I saw that it`s available via iTunes after the fact.

I created a couple of references from information that I gleaned from the Internet. It took about an hour to format everything. Once that is done it`s just a matter of attaching an iPad to make sure the formatting is correct. If you already have the information, i.e., a word document, etc., then it`s just a matter of dropping it into the application. Give it a try, you won`t be disappointed. Not to mention that you can update each version as necessary and then upload it to Apple. I wish more publishers would jump on this application, especially universities. It makes reading a whole new experience. I think the reason the Apple version is not popular is because Amazon is so well known. I didn`t even know it was available in iTunes until this morning. I`ll admit the books/textbooks available via iTunes are very small compared to Amazon. But the experience in Apple`s new application is so much more enjoyable to read.

When Kindle`s new layout is available let me know, I`d like to see if they at least improve the picture viewing.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Not sure why there is a problem with you posting your latest illustrations. We might do something different but it gives folks a place to talk from. Worst thing is we learn something. ;-)

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Shamless plug alert.
    Go and buy the book, then go by the book, use the book, loan the book. Read the book and learn from the illustrations in the book.

D, your doing the good works here and you have easy to follow and learn from illustrations.

Now I have another for you to work on. In Florida, we have the go ahead to hammock in all state parks, but have to use treehuggers on tarps as well. Little price to pay to help spread the hammock way, I guess.

Small weight on the huggers and a little extra bulk, but lets see the "V" illustrations for treehugger use on tarps as well, please.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    But the experience in Apple`s new application is so much more enjoyable to read.

When Kindle`s new layout is available let me know, I`d like to see if they at least improve the picture viewing.
    That's good info. I'll go ahead and download the app and see how it works. I'll also check to see what the limitations are on images. Kindle dings me if my book is too big; it's a charge-back for the wireless download fees.

From what I've read, the new Kindle format also allows rich layouts, although I'm not sure I'd take advantage of that (e.g., float images right/left; captions, etc.). The screen size doesn't really lend itself to complex layouts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast