DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I just replaced my ENO DNsuspension system with whoopies and a marlin hitch tree hugger system. http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/2575039

It took about 30mins from start to finish and that is because i watched the youtube video LD linked above 2 times before trying it. I did do the double pass through as shown in the video. Incredibly easy to manage.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    Here you go... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXlwPKoKw9Q

Only thing I do different is I don't do the double pass through , I just make one. Works for me.

I only did mine 1 pass as well, because I used amsteel. If you are doing a weaker rope you might still want to do 2 passes threw.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by lubbockhammockguy View Post
    I only did mine 1 pass as well, because I used amsteel. If you are doing a weaker rope you might still want to do 2 passes threw.
    That's not the reason for the double pass through. It distributes the load over a broader area.

There is some concern that a single pass will result in premature wear of the hammock fabric. If this has happened in actual practice, I'm unaware of it.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Are whoopies quick? I will likely be sleeping in my hammock almost every night for 10 weeks, as I am biking across the country, so ease of use is important. I was just thinking of removing the rope, putting a lighter, nicer biner through each end without the rope, such as the ENO Pronest. For suspension I was thinking of using webbing, then just make a hitch to bite down on each end of my hammock. This is how my girlfriend set hers up, and makes it quite easy and adjustable.

This will be my second eno, my last one got a bit too close to the fire while I was asleep! And I have the slapstraps, but find them to be terrible.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I've never used whoopies, so I can't say how quick they are. Webbing and cinch buckles are super easy to use and adjust. Also very easy to switch out from your stock suspension.

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPG View Post
    Are whoopies quick? ...
    I think they are only as quick as you feel comfortable sitting them up...meaning the more you set your rig up the faster you will be able to get it set up. Other than that they are just as easy to set up as any other suspension system ... nothing extremely complicated...attach marlin hitch strap (poly webbing)to tree, insert toggle, then attach whoopie to marlin hitch knot locked by toggle and you are set. I think the love and fan-dom of whoopies is the ease at which they can be adjusted to get the sweet spot locked in, the amount of weight you are able to shed from your rig, and of course they don't stretch like the slap straps do.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9996
    Last edited by toygun; 05-10-2012 at 14:55.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've got some photos in my gallery showing the switch out. I've done it on all of my hammocks. The whoopies make the set up so much quicker. When I take my hammock down, I extend the whoopies out all of the way, so when I go to set up, they are ready for the longest span.

I put the straps up on the tree & then put up a toggle from a stick that's laying around. Then I put my whoopie loop over the toggle strap knot & adjust for length. It takes all of about two minutes to put up & set. It takes almost more time to find the trees at times.

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by JPG View Post
    I was just thinking of removing the rope, putting a lighter, nicer biner through each end without the rope, such as the ENO Pronest.
    would not recommend it. the ProNest is 48" wide while the DN is 80" wide - you would need a sizable biner to do what you are proposing. I tried it with one of these http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/vert...biners/attache and found that it was a pain in the @@@ trying to thread it through and once through filled most of the biner and every time the gate was opened something wanted to get caught or escape. if you want to ditch the stock cord why don't you just replace them with a pair of chain links? then clip the biner to the links then to your suspension.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12