Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images

Try again - TN/NC/GA Ultralight Hammock Hang Slickrock Wilderness June 16-17

I tried this once, but an upcoming memorial for a family member caused its postponement. So here is a second try...

Shadow Alpha and I have been talking about doing an ultralight hang so folks that are interested in looking at how to go ultralight and still be a hanger can come out and exchange ideas. This isn't closed to other hangers who just want to come out and visit so anyone can come regardless of pack weight.

The date would be the weekend of June 16- 17 on Slickrock Creek on the BMT. This is a wilderness area and max group size is 10 people, but the area I am thinking of doing this has a few campsites with good hanging points within a few 10ths of a mile from each other, so we can spread a little and form a few groups if there is that many attending.

Parking would be here: http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=35...sz=19&t=m&z=19

If that fills up, there is another parking place on the north side of the bridge and another up near the observation point for the dam. The actual campsite will be here: http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=35...sz=15&t=m&z=16

For folks interested, here is the terrain profile and mileages from the BMT Thru-Hikers Guide: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...4&d=1333343582

Parking is at 183.6, the campsites start at 180.7 and go to 180.5. There are some more campsites down at 180.2 if we absolutely need that many, but I doubt it. So you will probably only need to hike 3 miles at the most. Map of the trail and location: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...5&d=1333344178

Something else we would like to have on this hike/hang...

Some of us will re-create the 5 Pound Challenge. That will be a functioning pack system that includes hammock with a base weight below 5 pounds. General ground rules are:

1. You don't have to count any consumables like the obvious food, water, fuel, toilet paper etc.

2. Try not to "stuff your pockets". My general thought on this is your wear/carried stuff on you should be less than the base weight of the rest of your gear. So basically 5 pounds or less as well. I personally count everything including my wedding ring. So basically no "gimmicks" to have a low pack weight.

3. As stated, includes a hammock hanging system in that 5 pound base.

4. We aren't Nazis on this. It is to have fun and try new ideas. If you have 5 pounds 3 ounces it is all good. If you have 7 pounds it is still good because everyone cannot afford to go out and buy a Cuben fiber tarp or pack. Hell, if you have a 20 pound base we don't care, just come on out. Hopefully for y'all wanting to lighten up there will be some innovative ideas for you to pick folks brains. The heavy guys can bring the grill and steaks.

5. This should also not be survival light hiking. 5 pounds should keep you warm, dry, comfortable, and include luxuries like tunes, adult beverages, playing cards, reading material, fishing stuff, or whatever makes camping fun too.

6. Did I mention have fun with it? There are no winners.

I'll bring a mini scale in case anyone needs to measure anything.

I hope to see some of you there. Who is in?
    Last edited by SGT Rock; 05-11-2012 at 02:08. Reason: location, location, location
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

• + New Posts