Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Trimmed ENO Double
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or buckle

what am I missing ?

I understand that nobody wants to be a packmule and lug 65pounds into the woods 5-10 miles. But I know I have personally packed 40 + pounds in and it was really no big deal. Now that I have learned a few trick I can get a pack down to 25-30 pounds for a 1-1/2 day trip and it's nice. But when I hear that a 2lb hammock and tarp is heavy it makes me laugh. Sure it would be nice to pop open a pill like George Jetson and have a total sleep system but people are acting like im crazy for thinking a 3lb tarp is accetable. I guess I just dont see a problem with it. All I'm saying is were are not all made of money and cant just buy uber light gear everytime it pops up on the for sale section. So dont jump on a guy when he makes a sleeping bag UQ and it weigs 3lbs and say it's heavy or you should have used down or cuben this or that. If you are worried about 3 extra pounds on your trip drink some strong coffe a few hours before you leave and remember as it goes down the drain that yours smells like everybody elses. -BOB
    Never let schooling get in the way of your education. -Mark Twain

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    HYOH and all that stuff
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    I would say that for the majority of those on this forum, their opinion is HYOH. Some may offer suggestions to go lighter, but one has to weigh ones need, wants, and cashflow to afford.

Personally, I have had some painful back problems, and that's the reason I converted to hiking in 2006. Same reason why I cut my pack weight from the mid 30's to under 20 pounds. My back appreciated the weight loss and I went from enjoying backpacking to loving it!!

So........you won't get an argument from me, just an explanation.
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    As RamblinRev said, hike your own hike.

Not all of us have bottomless wallets (I sure don't), but there's something to be said for folks wanting to shave weight.

I've hiked 16+ mile days with 40+ pounds on me. It was doable, but tough. With 30 lbs on my back, I found it much more comfortable. I'd imagine if I was to get down to 20 lbs, it would be even more so.

There's a sliding scale of requirements: weight, durability, functionality, and price. I find that I err on the side of durability, functionality, and price. Which is why I'm at ~28 lbs for a three-day trip. If I had more funds, I could go lower on weight. If I wasn't quite so hard on my gear, I could go lower on weight. If I was willing to accept a lower level of comfort, I could go lower on weight.

Since I'm not willing to compromise with any of those, I remain at the weight I am. It's comfortable enough for me to carry over the distances I prefer, at my current body weight and general level of fitness. It might not be for everyone.

Again, HYOH, CYOC, PYOB, etc. Have fun out there, and don't let anyone tell you that There is Only One True Way to enjoy the outdoors.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    This always is a 'hike your own hike' sort of situation I find. Everybody is different - situation wise, interest wise, carry limit wise - and if they value some opinions, i don't see a problem. Otherwise I find that most people are only out with a single goal in mind - get out and enjoy - however that may be for you!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Images
    I know what you mean though. My first post on here I was looking for a pack cover for my large pack. Got one answer and then a hundred sarcastic comments that got the post shut down in a couple of hours. Some say HYOH, but what they mean is, Hike As I Hike.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    HYOH and all that stuff
    ^What he said, who cares what anyone else thinks...

Images
    Bob, I think the overwhelming philosophy here is HYOH.

Which is either Hike Your Own Hike or

Hang Your Own Hang

IOW, if you want to carry a 50 or 30 lb or 10 lb, nobody really cares. After all, it is you who is carrying it, not me.

There are folks here is both categories. There might be more in the Ultra light category, folks who either are willing to spend top dollar or spend hours making the lightest possible equipment. They have found that the lighter they go, the easier it is on them and/or the further/faster they can go. And they prefer that ease of hiking to lots of luxuries once they get to camp. And other people will want to do the same and will seek and get advice from those who already do it. So what? That is not a problem, is it?

In the meantime some of us either won't have the money to spend or just on principle refuse to spend that much on UL equipment. And/or we won't be willing to or have the time or skills to DIY it. Or we won't be willing to give up many camp luxuries or the durability of heavier equipment. And there are some who- whether right or wrong- will choose heavier synthetic insulation to save money AND due to a superior warmth when wet and drying time, in their opinions.

Again, so what? If I am having fun with my 40 or 60 lb load and enjoying my trip, going heavier for whatever reason, who cares? Truth is, in the vast majority of cases here at HF, I don't think anybody does.

Just like with a heavy thick ( or thin) pad in a tent vs a hammock: who cares? Do what pleases you, and let's just get on with the hike. I usually travel in a mixed bunch, some of us on the ground and some of us hanging from the trees. We all still speak to each other, sometimes.

I'm new to this forum, but I lead a group of students on a week long trek through WV. Most if not all of them are first time backpackers. Forget the fact that this is their first week long trip. I won't even tell you how much I carry and most of it is for the group. It's insane, but then again that's how I found this site, I'm trying to cut the weight as much as possible and a hammock seems like the logical\comfortable way to go!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I don't understand the evangelical fervor that some have on things that don't really matter.

I don't care what your pack weight is, if you camp, if you use a tent, or hang a hammock high in the forest canopy.

It's all about me.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast