Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Detatchable Straps for BMB?

I have a HH which I converted to a strap & ring suspension. One advantage of this system is that when packing up after a rainy night you can keep the wet straps separate. Who wants to jam soaking straps in with a dry hammock and underquilt?

I recently purchased a JRB BMB hammock, and am now thinking of modifying its straps to some kind of clip-on arrangement to permit me to keep them separate when necessary. Has anyone else done this? Any problems with it?
    Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I don't have a BMBH but pictures show enough to know what the essential problems are.

There are three pieces of webbing coming together at a ring. Two of them are part of the suspension triangle, one of them goes to the tree. You can leave the suspension triangle ones alone, they should stay dry. You'll need to un-attach the other bit of webbing, e.g., cut the stitching.

At this point you have many options. The cleanest one is to loop the tree-webbing piece through the ring, and fasten to itself using a JRB tri-glide. A bit more radical would be to transform the long piece of webbing to tree into a short piece just long enough to protect the tree, and work in a lightweight suspension line between tree and hammock. On the hammock end you'd run the cord through the ring, and tie off with a trucker's hitch or even a simple (but somewhat harder to adjust) round turn with 2 half-hitches.

just my $0.05 worth.

Grizz

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    The JRB Tri-Glide idea Grizz gave is a good one. What I did with mine is I cut the webbing (Poloypro) at the outer ring and replaced this webbing with longer (12') polyester webbing. Then I just tied some Spyderline on the outer ring and attached a cinch buckle. Loop at the end of the webbing for the biner. Works great.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Like Grizz said, I wouldn't fool around with the 2 straps that go from the hammock to the ring. The easiest way I could thing of to make the strap that goes from the hammock to the tree detachable would be to sew a loop in the end of the webbing and use a biner through the loop that could clip into the ring.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Or you could go light weight and replace the triangle suspension also.

It is attached to the hammock arc webbing with rings again, i.e., arc webbing to ring to triangle webbing.

Cut off all of the webbing at those rings ( keep the rings to use the BMBH spreader bars ), use cord for the triangle and use the Single Line Suspension that HC4U detailed or the Hang rope method that TeeDee described. Tie the triangle cord to the rings using a round turn and 2 half hitches.

Replace it all with 2.8 mm Spyderline.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post

It is attached to the hammock arc webbing with rings again, i.e., arc webbing to ring to triangle webbing.

Cut off all of the webbing at those rings ( keep the rings to use the BMBH spreader bars ), use cord for the triangle and use the Single Line Suspension that HC4U detailed or the Hang rope method that TeeDee described. Tie the triangle cord to the rings using a round turn and 2 half hitches.

this is the one I like

And, if you want to go really lightweight you can dispense with the metal ring at the top of the triangle altogether and replace it with a cord ring. Or maybe that was implicit in this description.

A little harder to thread the suspension-to-tree cord through, but not much if you make it large enough to push a couple of fingers through.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 08-04-2008 at 13:39.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    this is the one I like

And, if you want to go really lightweight you can dispense with the metal ring at the top of the triangle altogether and replace it with a cord ring. Or maybe that was implicit in this description.

A little harder to thread the suspension-to-tree cord through, but not much if you make it large enough to push a couple of fingers through.

Grizz
    I was thinking just use a single cord for the triangle, from ring to ring. At the apex of the triangle you will have a bight. Attach it there to the SMC rings that HC4U uses or use the bight and attach to the hang knots that TeeDee uses. Way easier and lots lighter.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I was thinking just use a single cord for the triangle, from ring to ring. At the apex of the triangle you will have a bight. Attach it there to the SMC rings that HC4U uses or use the bight and attach to the hang knots that TeeDee uses. Way easier and lots lighter.
    good, I've done that.

Someone doing a DIY bridge---I've forgotten who now---tried a single cord between the rings without putting in something like a bight to keep the suspension cord to tree from sliding around on it. So naturally it did, and a physics lesson was learned.

pretty sure it wasn't me. Then again, I was the kid who in 7th grade shop class took the bare metal terminals of the voltage detector he just made, and slipped each terminal into a slot of a 120V wall socket to find out if there was juice there. I don't recall whether the detector lit up, but I very definitely found out there was current.

Grizz

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    ... Then again, I was the kid who in 7th grade shop class took the bare metal terminals of the voltage detector he just made, and slipped each terminal into a slot of a 120V wall socket to find out if there was juice there. I don't recall whether the detector lit up, but I very definitely found out there was current.

Grizz
    You did that too!?!?

Live (hopefully) and learn.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

I have made an addendum to my hang rope method that makes using it even easier. Replacing the suspension and suspension triangle with cord would be easy and easier to use than webbing and much, much lighter and much, much less bulk than webbing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast