Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape

5 x 9 rectangular tarp

Is 5 x 9 too small for a tarp? I have a couple of 5 x 7 asyms but I'm looking for a bit more coverage and think a rectangular hang might provide it. Thoughts? Critiques? Dire warnings?
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you figure 102 " for a hammock ridgeline which is what I use on my DIYs then 9' (108") will only just barely cover the length. But it will cover it. 5' width gives you 2.5 feet on each side. It's doable I suppose. Beyond that it really depends on what your comfort level is. I personally would not want to use that small a tarp. But if you don't mind the added risk of exposure knock yourself out. I think you would find more reliable coverage with your asym tarps than you would with a 5 X 9. Unless you hang the 5 x 9 on the diagonal. That would change everything.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Except for a spire of fabric coming out of the middle of the ENO Dry Fly, on both sides it is just 5' wide. Clark for years made its standard fly for 8' long hammocks just 6 feet wide at the widest and just over 8' long. I was comfortable under one last night under heavy (for NJ) rainfall.

Remember that an 8' = 96" hammock sags to 5/6 that or 7'. And the old Clark standard fly includes velcro at both ends. Angle the tarp down toward the foot end and seal it, where no vision is needed, and the Clark work's as a lightweight solution.
    I

It may fit, it may not! For example my custom hammock has a ridgeline length of 89", add 2" for the gathered ends, then couple that with a extra 2" per side and I have 97" that needs covering, so a 9ft tarp (or 108") would cover me very well with proper placement!

One thing that should be re-stated is "Proper Placement" of the tarp! When using minimal tarps proper placement is essential to staying dry.

So with all this said what is the length of your hammock ridgleline, then is there anything (extension of fabric, ie..gathered end) past the ridgeline that needs to be under the cover of the tarp, measure this and then for my own purposes I add 2" to each end, YMMV
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Considering that you're using a Nano-7, it should cover the hammock at the ends. I don't know how good the side coverage is going to be, though; that's 2.5 ft on either side. You'd pretty much have to have the tarp in your face to cover the low point where your butt is in the hammock from side-blown rain.

Fair weather, with straight-down showers? Sure, it'd work. Monsoon weather (or a summer afternoon t-storm down here)? I'd be worried--and probably wet--if I tried it with that hammock.

Still, if you do decide to go with it, let us know how it works out!

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Not the same size, but this may help visualize different sizes. Some images on pg 2

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=21172

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I made a 5x10 tarp once and it was very small because I didn't put very much asym in it.

Too small if if I hung it as an A frame rectangle, 2.5 sides are too small period.

On the diagonal, not enough coverage because I didnt put enough asym. The tips were way too pointy.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    I have some tyvek kite fabric on order, just to play with. I thought that might be the consensus. I have a few asym tarps and always feel like I don't have good coverage at my head and feet. I THINK 9 ft long will work with my Nano (I'll try to test it this weekend). I suppose I should think more along the lines of 9 x 6 or even 10 x 7?
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

FWIW my standard tarp is a 8x10 (hung on the 10ft ridge) and I pretty much use this all year round! My hammock is a custom, same length as a Nano7, but wider.. And I always have great coverage, but if I wanted too I could go smaller, I have used very small diamond tarps before and have weathered some very nasty storms, it's all about pitch, placement, and using your surroundings to your advantage (bushes, trees, brush, etc...) to block or deflect some wind/rain! JMO, YMMV
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    You will find that you want a couple inches wiggle room on the length of your tarp vs your hammock ridgeline because otherwise you need to center the tarp perfectly which is a really pain. The side length of 2.5 is probably doable, but you might want a little longer esp. if your storing your other gear under it. just me .2
    The Urban Outdoorsman- inspiring people to get out and enjoy the great outdoors

View my blog here- http://cityoutdoorsman.wordpress.com

Instagram: Nature_Pro_Pics
    Twitter: @cityoutdoorsman

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast