DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Are you just wanting to hang things in your suspension?

Dont do any of these ideas that will hurt you

1. poke a bight (6-8") of amsteel through the suspension. Tie a knot on the top half to keep it from pulling through. Repeat for a daisy chain to hang things from. Kind of like this.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...imageuser=3468

2. Using just the lock portion of a locked Brummell is called (by me) an Aussie splice. We use them in places on boats. No issues because we're not loading beyond the safety strength of the line. It definitely works best to equally load both sides, but I've loaded only one side plenty of times.

A picture here http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...imageuser=3468

I've used this for trapeze lines on a catamaran in 1/8" and only loaded 1 side lots of times. Of course, if it fails, I get wet and that's about it. Also, my weight equals tension, not magnified due to static lading like in a hammock.

I would have to play a little, but you may have to reverse some lock directions to keep them from sliding towards each other in certain daisy chain loops.

Tarp
    WB Superfly
    I would like to see amsteel version of the Metolius Ultimate Daisy Chain....the best daisy I used when rock climbing.

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/ultimate_daisy.html

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    ^^^Dunno about the daisy chain, but this little snippet got my attention:

"11 mm (0.43") Dyneema Monster Sling webbing"

Hmmm.....
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    This may be a dumb idea, but couldn't you just do a series of continuous loops chained together using the locked brummel and bury method? There wouldn't be a bunch of knots to bulk it up. It probably wouldn't take much more Amsteel vs a series of diamond knots would it? Has this already been bandied about and I missed it? You could put some stitches through the bury for extra security too.
    Not a dumb idea, at all. You can't get a true lock on a continuous loop, but stitching would certainly seal the deal.

This is doable, albeit labor intensive. About like needlepoint.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DD Frontline & Travel
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zep & Flt Jkt
    Suspension
    Kmk Python Straps
    Are you just wanting to hang things in your suspension?
    No, not at all. Just wanting a daisy chain similar to the Python Straps but made out of Amsteel for hammock suspension.

You can't get a true lock on a continuous loop
    What if you brummell the ends together then bury the tails 4-6" into the loop?
    The loop circumference would obviously have to be 9-13".

I've also got other ideas rolling around my scone but they will have to wait for tomorrow.
    Last edited by Benny; 05-12-2012 at 07:01.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    No, not at all. Just wanting a daisy chain similar to the Python Straps but made out of Amsteel for hammock suspension.

What if you brummell the ends together then bury the tails 4-6" into the loop?
    The loop circumference would obviously have to be 9-13".

I've also got other ideas rolling around my scone but they will have to wait for tomorrow.
    You dont use a locked brummel on a loop. Just weave it through and bury it. If you want a daisy chain like the one in the link, that would definitely work. Just a bunch of small rings looped together.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    I've tried whoopie slings & while they work I'd prefer something quicker & easier like the Python Straps from Kammock....
    If python straps are actually quicker, it couldn't save more than a few seconds.

To me, it seems you are wanting to go to a lot or work to end up with set "steps" instead of the infinite adjustability that whoopies provide. I just don't get it, but that's me.

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

Second to the post above

I wish that I could write better in order to say this more smoothly. It is not my intention to be negative.

I agree with the post prior to this one. Your goal is to hang a hammock. There is a known method that utilizes the advantages of amsteel.

Amsteel is not just a lighter weight of rope to be knotted like static line. You are trying to use amsteel in ways that are more suitable to older generations of cordage such as static line or climbers' webbing. Innovation is good, so you may pioneer something for climbers.

Use amsteel where it does best, but do change to other materials when they will work better. A daisy chain of amsteel to support a hammock is less than optimal for both that material and for the safety of the hanger. Revisit the design when amsteel webbing and amsteel thread become available.

Hammock
    DD Frontline & Travel
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zep & Flt Jkt
    Suspension
    Kmk Python Straps
    Don't get me wrong, whoopie's are great but you lose about a foot each end with the bury & tree strap attachment.

I've got some 1' webbing that is slightly thicker & rigid than standard webbing that I'm going to reeve on to the bare length between the fixed loop & hang loops to provide tree 'protection' instead of having to carry both tree straps & suspension & literally allows you to clip on as close to the anchors as you like.

The continuous loop chain is sounding like a winner.

Hammock
    HH Explorer deluxe & WBBB 1.7SL
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG 0° Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies or ropes
    What about a system a bit like water ski ropes?

Several pieces of rope, with a fixed eye at each end, girth hitched one after another? (I don't know another better term than "girth hitched" in english, but you see what I mean.)

With the typical 6" bury lengths, you would have an eye every 12-13", and coupled with a marlin spike hitch on the tree strap, you could have enough adjustability. (Of course we are not talking about the guys who get up 4 times from they hammock to adjust one tiny bit here and one tiny bit there and think that 1" difference is very important… ;-) )

What do you think?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast