Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Greylock 3 on a BMBH

I just got my new BMBH -- the standard, not the UL. I have a Greylock 3 UQ and I'm wondering exactly how the UQ attaches to the hammock.

I haven't had the chance to even hang the hammock yet so maybe this is obvious, but I thought I'd ask and try to avoid any pitfalls.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    If I recall correctly the original BMBH has UQ connection spots build in. I have the UL which does not, but I run my Phoenix suspension through my spreader notches which works well.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    I just got my new BMBH -- the standard, not the UL. I have a Greylock 3 UQ and I'm wondering exactly how the UQ attaches to the hammock.

I haven't had the chance to even hang the hammock yet so maybe this is obvious, but I thought I'd ask and try to avoid any pitfalls.
    Here are the general directions for a full length on a BMBH:
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/UQ%20Installation.htm

What you will have to do different with a short UQ:
    My MW3 convertible came with 1 extra suspension cord. I connect the head end in the normal fashion, which for me is:
    1:set up BMBH and spreader bars, then larks head one suspension cord/biner through the outer most ring then pass biners through spreader bar rings
    2: turn BMBH upside down ( not needed, but easier for me) and lay quilt on hammock
    3: pass the loops on the head end of hammock through the loops on the quilt
    4: attach biners to loops on head end of hammock

Now if you had a full length, you would repeat above for the foot end and be done. But instead you have got to take one of the suspension cords, and either use the extra suspension cord to extend it so that it is long enough to pass through the spreader bar rings plus extend through the hammock loops and attach to the loops on the foot end of the short quilt.
    Or possibly come up with an extra biner, put it on the extra cord, and attach one cord to the right spreader ring and the other to the left and the to the quilt.

I usually have done the first. Bottom line: you have to adjust cords on the foot end so they are long enough to reach. Later I'll see if I have some pictures, no time now.

Hammock
    Darien UL 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Your UQ must have a different suspension, or maybe I just don't get it.

In any case, I just got back from the park where I hung the BMBH, the Greylock 3 UQ, and my OES Maccat Deluxe tarp.

Hanging the UQ was ridiculously simple. It has what amounts to a large continuous loop of elastic cord that runs through the channels on the sides of the UQ so I clipped either end to the hammock suspension ring at the apex of the triangle, then ran the shock cord through the slots in the spreader bars, Fit perfectly. Way easier than futzing with it on my Hennessy.
    ~
    "Home is where I hang my food bag."

Monkeywrench
    Allen Freeman
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com
    blog.allenf.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    Your UQ must have a different suspension, or maybe I just don't get it.

In any case, I just got back from the park where I hung the BMBH, the Greylock 3 UQ, and my OES Maccat Deluxe tarp.

Hanging the UQ was ridiculously simple. It has what amounts to a large continuous loop of elastic cord that runs through the channels on the sides of the UQ so I clipped either end to the hammock suspension ring at the apex of the triangle, then ran the shock cord through the slots in the spreader bars, Fit perfectly. Way easier than futzing with it on my Hennessy.
    Oh, good to know. I figured it was just like my JRB MW3 convertible suspension, didn't know they made a change. Glad to hear it was easy to figure out!

EDIT:
    Oh yes, now I see the change!
    The Greylock 3 under quilt comes equipped with full length, channeled shock cord suspension that allows the user to make minor adjustments to their under quilt position. For those desiring to use the traditional JRB corner under quilt suspension the Greylock also comes equipped with corner mounting tabs.
    I don't know how I missed that change in suspension. The direction I gave you would be for the underlined part above. You have a choice with this quilt. Let us know how it works for you over time. If it stays in place and has no bunching, like the original design did.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-13-2012 at 15:48.

• + New Posts