Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Failure Report: Tyvek

I know everyone loves to talk about how great their hammock is and post pics of their feet, but if you want to know anything about the strength of a design you need failure data. Hence this post of negative results.

Picture Album

I made this hammock last spring. It's Dupont Tyvek housewrap, 9 feet long (didn't measure hammock width), with double sheet bends at either end. The blue cord is a structural ridgeline (Amsteel) and it was hung with a reasonable sag angle (see photos). It was in backyard use (i.e rarely longer than a nap per day) for a few months last winter and this spring I'd used it about four times prior to failure. It was stored folded in a bag.

Today I hung it and got in. There was no obvious damage when I hung it. After about 15 seconds of lying down (i.e. all initial transient loading had died out), it failed with a bang. No identifiable sound of ripping. 90% of the width tore within milliseconds. When I pulled on the tear after failure, it continued to tear with *very* little force (less than tearing paper). I weigh about 175 lb.
    Last edited by tkw954; 05-09-2012 at 21:10. Reason: Sheet bend, not lark's head

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I haven't heard of folks trying a Tyvek hammock but I've been gone a while.

Sacks, tarps, Jerry chairs, sit pads, cooking areas are the uses I am familiar with.

Glad you're OK. I had a hammock I made for a friend from 1.7/1.9 ripstop fail in the fabric on night one of a 3 night trip. Fortunately, no injuries and he had a pad to go to ground on.
    Last edited by nacra533; 05-09-2012 at 19:23. Reason: Spelking. spelling#%€£$& iPad autocorrect!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    First time I've seen anyone make a hammock out of tyvek before. Seen ground sheets, tarps, even bivy's made from this material but not a hammock.

Based on articles I've read about Tyvek, it has a fabric tensile strength of around 30 to 40 pounds, which clearly your weight exceeded...

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Did you leave the hammock up last summer for any length of time? I've read that Tyvek has little resistance to UV degradation.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

I did leave it up last summer, but it was well shaded.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by mangus7175 View Post
    First time I've seen anyone make a hammock out of tyvek before. Seen ground sheets, tarps, even bivy's made from this material but not a hammock.

Based on articles I've read about Tyvek, it has a fabric tensile strength of around 30 to 40 pounds, which clearly your weight exceeded...
    30 to 40 pounds No Problem! I'd just have to make a 10 layer hammock .
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    That's an interesting place to rip, I would have thought it would fail at the lark's head. I've had a tyvek tarp fail, but it was at a place where the fabric had repeatedly been folded and was pretty high stress next to a tie out. It does fail magnificently though, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by dukedante View Post
    That's an interesting place to rip, I would have thought it would fail at the lark's head. I've had a tyvek tarp fail, but it was at a place where the fabric had repeatedly been folded and was pretty high stress next to a tie out. It does fail magnificently though, doesn't it?
    I know, I would have expected that, too. I did a bunch of tarp/sail connection tensile tests and the failure was always about 6" from the connection. When I disassembled the knot on the hammock (actually a sheet bend), there was considerable deformation at the bend.

This failure may have been a weakening due to folding for storage over winter.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    30 to 40 pounds No Problem! I'd just have to make a 10 layer hammock .
    Yep! LOL A problem of using products for things other than what they are designed and made to do. Can create a dangerous situation. So, use caution. I'm glad there was no injury, except to pride.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

The Tyvek Homewrap is one of the lightest basis weight Tyvek styles DuPont produces. A while back there was a potential application for Tyvek to be used in place of a stretcher (for emergency situations to carry bodies) but none of the traditional Tyvek styles could support average body weight without failure. I'm glad you weren't hurt either!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast